Subject: new module FvwmPipe: Control Fvwm from outside

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:27:22 +0200 (METDST)

Hello,

I just subscribed to the mailing list. So please excuse if this is
an already existing or discussed topic/module.
(Didn't find anything in the archive though)

I remember there was a few time ago a question in c.o.l.d.a how
another program could control fvwm from outside.  As far as I know
there wasn't a solution yet.

Well yesterday I wanted to do some pipe-hacking for personal
experiences and wrote a little module FvwmPipe to solve the above
mentioned problem.

When invoked this module creates a pipe "$HOME/.fvwmpipe.in".
Whatever you write to this pipe will be passed through to fvwm.

   For example: 
         echo "restart" > $HOME/.fvwmpipe.in
	 (restarts fvwm)
   or
         echo "AddtoMenu \"StartMenu\" \"Emacs\" Exec emacs " > $HOME/.fvwmpipe.in
	 (adds emacs to the StartMenu)
   or
         echo "DestroyMenu \"StartMenu\" " > $HOME/.fvwmpipe.in
	 (destroys the StartMenu)

The module makes it possible to write config-tools for fvwm in any
language, for example TCL/TK.

The code is somewhat based on the FvwmTalk module.

You can download the module from 
          ftp://fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/pub/People/Ettrich/FvwmPipe.tgz

What do you think?

Regards,

   Matthias 
   ([email-masked])

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:57:45 -0400

>>>>> "Matthias" == ettrich  <[email-masked]> writes:

Matthias> Hello,

Guten Tag, Matthias.

Matthias> I just subscribed to the mailing list. So please excuse if this is
Matthias> an already existing or discussed topic/module.
Matthias> (Didn't find anything in the archive though)

Matthias> I remember there was a few time ago a question in c.o.l.d.a how
Matthias> another program could control fvwm from outside.  As far as I know
Matthias> there wasn't a solution yet.

In the next release, in the extras dir, will be two modules written by
Toshi Isogai, the second of which covers what you'd like:

  FvwmConsole - a FvwmTalk replacement
  FvwmCommand - to send commands to fvwm from a shell script or whatever

I haven't really played with them much yet, honestly, but they seem
promising.

Matthias> Well yesterday I wanted to do some pipe-hacking for personal
Matthias> experiences and wrote a little module FvwmPipe to solve the above
Matthias> mentioned problem.

Matthias> When invoked this module creates a pipe "$HOME/.fvwmpipe.in".
Matthias> Whatever you write to this pipe will be passed through to fvwm.
....
Matthias> What do you think?

Well, it sounds pretty interesting.  A different way to approach the
problem.  I just grabbed it (pretty small) and will give it a try
later, if I get a chance.  If you'd like I can include it in the
extras directory for the next release (especially since it's so
small).

Chuck