Subject: beta 2.0.43 ready

From: "Charles Hines" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:53:54 -0400

Howdy all.

Ok, I'm back from vacation (none too happy about that, I might add - I
need a vacation to rest up from my vacation) and I finally finished up
beta 2.0.43.  It's now at ftp.hpc.uh.edu in /pub/fvwm/version-2/ and
here's what it looks like:

  -rw-rw-r--   1 chines   fvwm      548968 Jul  8 13:23 fvwm-2.0.43.tar.gz

And here's the rather sizeable ChangeLog entry:

2.0.43
       1. More man page updates & Imake fixes
       2. Simple patch to help take care of some timing bugs
       3. Patch to fix resize oddities when hitting 'hard' edge introduced
          by EdgeScroll loop patch
       4. Fixed startup w/ no rc bug, plus added more defaults, so if
          started without an rc file, things should run ok.  Plus it now
          outputs error messages if Read fails, then tries to Read
          system.fvwm2rc (after first read fails).
       5. Patch to fix UseStyle problem w/ BackColor
       6. More FAQ updates
       7. Created an 'extras' dir, and moved some of the existing modules
          in there (the ones that aren't being built by default).
       8. More potential speedups in event processing
       9.  Decoupled warp from Focus, adding WarpToWindow function.
       10. Added SendToModule builtin to send arbitrary strings to modules
           to help implement more complex dynamic module abilities and
           allow for module to module communication
       11. Put old FvwmButtons back as FvwmGoodStuff, for people who
           prefer the simpler older version (in extras dir).  Also made it
           able to be passed in the name parameter on invocation so it
           doesn't have to be symbolically linked to the new names any
           more.
       12. Adding a new module FvwmForm2 in the extras directory,
           contributed by Frederic Cordier.  Based on FvwmForm but
           completely rewritten apparently.  It uses scripts, has a new
           more complex syntax (Pascal like) and adds RadioButtons.  I
           would like to eventually combine aspects of the two versions
           (and more) to make one killer module, perhaps.
       13. Made fvwm_msg send errors to modules, so FvwmTalk sees them
           like it used to (and any other module that looks for M_ERROR
           in the future)
       14. Added DestroyModuleConfig, based on patch from Toshi Isogai
       15. Modules can now send module config commands to fvwm (eg FvwmTalk)
       16. Removed implicit Exec exec stuff for the time being, until I
           come up with a better way to do it (back to old behavior)
       17. More mini icons added and some icons removed
       18. Added "KillMe" command that modules can send to fvwm asking for
           an assisted suicide (almost called this Kevorkian :)).  Mark
           Crimmins wanted this for probs with TkGoodStuff.
       19. Fixed RaiseWindow bug under some servers when no icon pixmap.
       20. Fixed one prob w/ FvwmAuto and menus being hidden (under click
           to focus - still needs work for other focus policies, but not
           entirely sure how to approach this yet).
       21. Added ExitFunction, to be executed on exit (before restarts too).
           Useful for explicitly killing modules, etc.
       22. Changed behavior of '-f' to just specify config file (now use
           -cmd to perform an actual command, like -cmd 'FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc')
       23. Updates to FvwmSaveDesk from Carsten Paeth so it should now
           actually work under 2.xx, plus some other bugfixes too I
           believe.
       24. Added PipeRead function, which executes a program and Read's
           it's output.  Useful for making dynamic menus and such.
       25. Security fix for FvwmM4 & FvwmCpp from Austin Donnelly
       26. Added strerror for SunOS 4.1.x
       27. Added ability to remove mouse and key bindings without restart
           (do the binding but specify '-' as the function).  Probably
           needs more checking for removing mouse bindings from title bar
           buttons correctly, though.
       28. Updates to FvwmIconMan from Brady Montz.
       29. Updates to FvwmIconBox from Nobutaka Suzuki.
       30. Patch from Austin Donnelly for multi-keypress required for
           WindowList problem.
       31. Patch to center text on left pixmaps in menus.
       32. Patch to allow menus to pop up left if not enough room on right
           (currently in ifdef -> define LEFT_MENUS to enable when compiling).

Oh, and I forgot to update fvwm2.man to go with #22, which of course I
didn't notice until after I had uploaded the tar file.  Obviously not
vital so I put this patch for it in the LATEST_NEWS section of the WWW
docs:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- fvwm2.man~  Wed Jun 19 22:55:43 1996
+++ fvwm2.man   Mon Jul  8 14:23:25 1996
@@ -276,7 +276,7 @@
 your .fvwm2rc file (if it appears at all), and start fvwm with the
 command
 .EX
-fvwm -f "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"
+fvwm -cmd "FvwmM4 .fvwm2rc"
 .EE

 .SH CPP PREPROCESSING
@@ -293,7 +293,10 @@

 .SH OPTIONS
 These are the command line options that are recognized by \fIfvwm\fP:
-.IP "\fB-f\fP \fIconfig_command\fP"
+.IP "\fB-f\fP \fIconfig_file\fP"
+Causes \fIfvwm\fP to Read \fIconfig_file\fP instead of ".fvwm2rc"
+as its initialization file.
+.IP "\fB-cmd\fP \fIconfig_command\fP"
 Causes \fIfvwm\fP to use \fIconfig_command\fP instead of "Read .fvwm2rc"
 as its initialization command.
 .IP "\fB-debug\fP"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to make this the last beta before the first official release
(2.1.0).  So let me know what other problems you find with it so I can
clean it up (especially build and doc problems).  Bear in mind that I
can't fix ALL of it's bugs, especially the one's I can't reproduce...

Hopefully 2.1.0 will be out in just a few weeks, and then I can begin
with the long awaited semi mythical Great Style Flag Rewrite, which I
know many people are awaiting with baited breath...

Chuck

ps - I'm still wading through all of the email I got while I was gone,
so I haven't had a chance to reply to a lot of the mail that hit the
lists (and sent directly to me) while I was gone.  I should get to it
all eventually (and if I don't, ping me again in a few days).

*******************************************************************************
Charles K. Hines <[email-masked]>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis, Presas Style Filipino Martial Arts]

         "Go back to sleep, Chuck.  You're just havin' a nightmare
             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)
*******************************************************************************
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].