Subject: Re: Ok, it's time (was Re: Just a heads up)

From: Steve Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 10:26:50 -0500

Todd Tyrone Fries wrote:
>
> ...
>
> I guess when there is autoconf we can say '--name=fvwm' or '--name\fvwm2'
> or something similar and it can automatically update the man pages.  If not,
> it can be in the Makefiles to sed the man pages or something.  Or we
> can do something like that now.
> 
> ...
>

I grabbed fvwm-2.0.43-almost.tar.gz this weekend and incorporated autoconf,
if anyone is interested.

Todd, I actually used '--execname=fvwm2' to change the name, but that's easily
changed.

It's very rough and has the following problems, as I see it:

	1) Doesn't handle the XPM stuff very well.  Like it shouldn't build
           xpmroot if -lXpm is not available, etc.

	2) It's just a first cut and I only spent enough time to get it to
           compile on my machine (a Dell P5-90 running Linux). I tried to
           change as little of the code as possible, but had to make some
           minor changes.  I apologize profusely if my changes have broken
           anybody else's build, but they should be relatively easy to fix.

	3) I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the programs in the extras
           directory.  I did put Makefile.in file in each directory, but did
	   not worry about them compiling without warnings (all of them at
	   least).

	4) No 'depend' target.  I suppose I could have added the following
           to the Makefile.in files:

           ifneq (.depend,$(wilcard .depend))
           all: depend $(PROJECT)
           else
           all: $(PROJECT)
           include .depend
           endif

           depend:
               $(CC) -M $(INCS) $(DEFS) $(SRCS) > .depend

           but I didn't know if this would work on everybody's machine.
           Will it?  That is, are there still compilers out there that
           don't accept the '-M' switch?

	5) There seems to be proliferation of #ifdef's, that with a little
	   effort could be culled out.

	6) Probably some other problems...

On the other hand, with these changes I was able to get it to compile
with nary a warning message using gcc 2.7.2 and the '-ansi -pedantic'
command line switches on my machine.  I would have tried it on some other
machines, but I didn't have the time.

Anybody that is interested can drop me a line and let me know the best
way to get it to you.

On a lighter note, fvwm is the *best* window manager available (IMHO).
To all those that have contributed, many thanks.

Steve
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].