Subject: Fvwm 2.0.43 bugs

From: Manoj Kasichainula <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

These bugs were present in fvwm 2.0.42, but I don't know if they were
present before then. They are present on both HP-UX 9 and Red Hat Linux
3.0.3 upgraded to kernel version 2.0.4. Both versions were compiled with
all the standard compile options. My fvwm2rc can be found at
http://dosa.ini.cmu.edu/~manojk/fvwm2rc

1. Panning between pages on a virtual desktop is disabled until you click
anywhere on the pager or try to move a window to another page.

2. A window with a specific Style for itself that is running before fvwm
is started (in my case rxvt and xterm) does not get any Style attributes -
those of itself or the global Style options. Running rxvt & before fvwm
gives it no Style attributes, while running (sleep 1; rxvt) & before fvwm
works. On Restarts, all attributes are given correctly.

3. I have narrowed down the problem with iconifying a window and it
deiconifying to a different page. It actually seems to be two bugs.

SmartPlacement seems to have an off-by-1 error with the left and top edges
of the screen, so that windows placed on the edge of the screen are
actually placed one pixel off screen. As a result, the geometry of the
first window placed is "-1-1". Now, when the window is deiconified, the
negative geometries are interpreted as distance from the right and bottom
of the screen!

So, a possible solution would be to skip the negative number
interpretation for everything except initial placement. The problem with
this, I've just noticed, is that windows placeed with negative geometries
keep their negative geometries after placement (according to FvwmIdent,
anyway).

So, there are two possible solutions (after fixing the off-by-one problem
with SmartPlacement). Fvwm could either note with the geometry whether the
negative numbers mean partially off-screen or the normal meaning. Or,
after a window is placed, its geometry would be converted to a geometry
with positive numbers. (i.e. -8-10 could be converted to +1272+1014 on a
1280x1024 screen). The second solution sounds cleaner to me.

_______________________________________________________________________
Manoj Kasichainula - [email-masked] | "Some people have entirely
http://dosa.ini.cmu.edu/~manojk/           |  too much free time on
Linux: 0% of the GPFs at 0% of the price   |  their hands."
Finger for PGP public key & Geek Code      |   - spaf

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].