Subject: FVWM-workers: Priorities of things

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 00:03 BST

All this talk of pixmaps here and pixmaps there is nice, but it is
very much icing on the cake.

I'd like to present my humble opinion of what the order of things
needing doing should be:

  1) Bug: timing problems with mouse clicks & windows sticking to
              mouse
  2) Docs need going over with fine tooth-comb
  3) Release 2.1.0

  4) Style flags rewrite
  5) Icon placement policy
  6) Module interface (SendToModule?)
  7) finer control over window decorations for fvwm95 people

In particular, 1 is quite serious for people on slow machines (that
includes me).  Chuck, didn't you say you thought you knew what the
problem was?

I have some patches to the manpages that will help with 2 (part of
what I did for the Debian package).

My primary bone of contention is the loss of 1.24r's friendly icon
handling features. I'll have a good think about how to do
user-directed icon placement policy efficiently. I still have my
original patch for this, but it's quite ugly, and is probably in need
of a re-think anyway. If modules can handle two-way communication, it
might be possible for fvwm to use an external module decide the right
place to put an icon down. As I say, this needs thought.

What's currently being discussed is 7 - which in my opinion is quite
far down the list in the priority stakes :)

Austin
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Don Mahurin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 18:50:57 -0400

> very much icing on the cake.

Ok, since I started that talk, Ill admit that you are correct.  But note
that I am using Fvwm95(hey, no booing) now because of the icing. I would
much rather see it done correctly, though.  The list given is a good
order of priorities.

>   2) Docs need going over with fine tooth-comb

Can I add one here?

    3.5) Icons that are label only disapear when moved.
        (I thought they all disappeared, because I dont use icon pixmaps
                (Exept for Trashcan, Printer, File from OffiX))

> In particular, 1 is quite serious for people on slow machines (that

I get it on a Sparc 10(not so slow) at work too.

Don Mahurin
[email-masked]
http://www.donet.com/dmahurin

---

From: Alan Wild <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 00:17:46 -0400 (EDT)

>         (I thought they all disappeared, because I dont use icon pixmaps

Gee, that sounds strangely like the bug I've been trying to report for a
few weeks now, but I've gotten poor response anyone.  Also, I know use
Fvwm95 so this isn't something that "they" have mucked up.  :)

Anyway. . . what architecture are you running?

-Alan
-- 
Alan Wild                            [email-masked]       
f/s/c lou95                      http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~triangle/
IT-HSC Consultant                 http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~arwild01
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Don Mahurin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 06:17:56 -0400

> Anyway. . . what architecture are you running?

This bug exists/existed in every version Ive seen: 1.x 2.x 95.2.x.
Ive compiled on Suns, SGIs and Linux, same thing.

Don Mahurin
[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:39:07 -0400

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan Wild <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (I thought they all disappeared, because I dont use icon pixmaps

Alan> Gee, that sounds strangely like the bug I've been trying to
Alan> report for a few weeks now, but I've gotten poor response
Alan> anyone.

Sorry - thought I had responded to that, but must not have.  I can't
reproduce it under AIX.  Forgot to try under Linux.  Anyone else out
there see this?

Chuck

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:48:42 -0400

>>>>> "Don" == Don Mahurin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> very much icing on the cake.

Don> Ok, since I started that talk, Ill admit that you are correct.
Don> But note that I am using Fvwm95(hey, no booing) now because of
Don> the icing. I would much rather see it done correctly, though.
Don> The list given is a good order of priorities.

The list was pretty good, yes.

>> 1) Bug: timing problems with mouse clicks & windows sticking to

I have a simple fix for some of this in the next release already (one
that Rob posted a ways back actually).  A better fix may be needed,
but it should do for now.

>> 2) Docs need going over with fine tooth-comb

Yup!

>> 3) Release 2.1.0

Don> Can I add one here?

Don>     3.5) Icons that are label only disapear when moved.
Don>         (I thought they all disappeared, because I dont use icon pixmaps
Don>                 (Exept for Trashcan, Printer, File from OffiX))

I can't seem to reproduce this under AIX.  I'll try under Linux
tonight.  If it's a bug that nearly everyone sees, it might need to be
before the official release instead of after.

>> 5) Icon placement policy

Yeah, #5 has bugged people for quite a while.

>> 6) Module interface (SendToModule?)

That was a simple addition.  Already in 2.0.43 (one of the few new
things in there).

>> In particular, 1 is quite serious for people on slow machines (that

Don> I get it on a Sparc 10(not so slow) at work too.

And I saw it on my AIX box too, and that simple patch I mentioned has
basically eliminated it.

Chuck