Subject: Let's get started

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 1996 00:56:21 -0500

The initial rush of subscriptions have died down, so I think we can get
started.  There are currently 34 subscribers here; if even half of you are
interested in contributing to development I think we're doing pretty well.

So, Chuck, where would you like to go first?  Are we ready to start testing
the snapshot?

Oh, and what does everyone think about those distributed CVS thingies?  It
seems a bunch of development groups are thinking about going that route.
(Yes, I'd host a CVS tree, too, if someone instructs me.)
-- 
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - [email-masked] - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: <[email-masked]> (Charles Hines)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:03:18 -0400

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

....
Jason> So, Chuck, where would you like to go first?

>From the volume of mail I've got sitting here, I think I'm too late... :)

It'll probably take me a while to get through it all...

Jason> Are we ready to start testing the snapshot?

Almost.  I've got a few more things to fix up, then it'll be ready.  I
had a martial arts seminar & some special training sessions with our
GrandMaster this weekend which ate up all my time, or it might have
been ready for today (and I might not be so sore right now).

Now, the purpose of this snapshot testing is to help reduce problems
seen with each new beta on the multitude of platforms out there, so it
(the pre beta snapshot tar file) really shouldn't be placed in the
normal distribution directory.

We should probably have a slightly different, somewhat hidden
directory for it at the ftp site.  I don't think we need to go so far
as to have a special ftp group & passwd like we do with the XEmacs
betas, but perhaps just a '.test' directory under /pub/fvwm perhaps?

I'll name the tar files slightly different too, to mark them.

Jason> Oh, and what does everyone think about those distributed CVS
Jason> thingies?  It seems a bunch of development groups are thinking
Jason> about going that route.  (Yes, I'd host a CVS tree, too, if
Jason> someone instructs me.)

I'd prefer not to.  The patches-mailed-to-the-list method works ok for
me because I can be more selective about what happens to the code,
which as you all know by now I really like to be.  It's sometimes a
pain and a bit slower, but I feel that it's ok for now.

Chuck