Subject: ADMIN: The message footer

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Jun 1996 14:49:43 -0500

Does everyone here need to see the footer at the end of every message?
We're all intelligent and can figure out how to unsubscribe without having
the instructions in every message, right?  Don't we all have the web page
bookmarked?  Are we certain that none of us will ever send an unsubscribe
request to the list?

Who wants to keep it and who wants to remove it?

 - J<

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:07:44 -0500 (CDT)

one vote for the vanishing message.
--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:37:02 +0900

tibbs> We're all intelligent and can figure out how to unsubscribe
tibbs> without having the instructions in every message, right?

That's right. How about sending a mail periodically (per month or so)
to the list, including "how to unsubscribe/official Web site announce"
or whatever you wanted to include at the foot of each mail ?

- -
Makoto `MAR_kun' MATSUSHITA
BTW, fvwm mailinglist archives on the web is great, what's tool is used ?

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Jun 1996 02:22:44 -0500

>>>>> "MM" == Makoto MATSUSHITA <[email-masked]> writes:

MM> How about sending a mail periodically (per month or so) to the list,
MM> including "how to unsubscribe/official Web site announce" or whatever
MM> you wanted to include at the foot of each mail ?

Yes, I suppose I should do this.  Still, you'd be amazed at how many unsubs
are caught being sent to the main list (well, not here, but on fvwm and my
other lists).  Even though instructions are sent at the bottom of every
message.  Amazing.

MM> BTW, fvwm mailinglist archives on the web is great, what's tool is used
MM> ?

Well, um, it's uh, TMLI.  Yeah, TMLI, that's it.  The Tibbs Mailing List
Interface.  Yeah, I like that.  Actually it's the old fashioned tool: the
multi-purpose Swiss army kludge.  The messages are archived into UNIX mbox
folders by archive2.pl, which comes with Majordomo (slightly modified, of
course).  Those folders are processed by MHonArc to generate the indices
and individual message pages.  The backend search engine is Glimpse 3.0
(yes, I know 3.5 is out but this isn't broken so I'm not fixing it).  The
glue that binds this all together is a bunch of perl (5) scripts.  I
actually at one time intended to build in a subscription interface and a
means to reply to messages and then release it, but got caught up in other
things.

 - J<

---

From: "Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 22:16:58 -0400 (EDT)

If someone does not know how to unsubscribe from this list, then they most 
likely do not belong on it in the first place.

Drop the footer.

Randall

---

From: Cameron Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:27:51 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Makoto MATSUSHITA wrote:
| > tibbs> We're all intelligent and can figure out how to unsubscribe
| > tibbs> without having the instructions in every message, right?
| > That's right. How about sending a mail periodically (per month or so)
| > to the list, including "how to unsubscribe/official Web site announce"
| > or whatever you wanted to include at the foot of each mail ?

"Randall S. Winchester" <[email-masked]> writes:
| If someone does not know how to unsubscribe from this list, then they most 
| likely do not belong on it in the first place.
| Drop the footer.
| Randall

No no no no!
That way the people who don't know how to unsubscribe stay, continually
asking, and those who do know (whom you claim are more deserving of staying)
can go!

Hell, it's only 4 lines and down the bottom - how big is the
inconvenience?
	- Cameron Simpson
	  [email-masked], DoD#743
	  http://www.dap.csiro.au/~cameron/
--
Money won't buy happiness, but it will pay the salary of a large research
staff to study the problem. - Bill Vaughan