Subject: Re: Let's get started

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 17:49:18 +0300

Jason L Tibbitts III:
> Oh, and what does everyone think about those distributed CVS thingies?  It
> seems a bunch of development groups are thinking about going that route.
> (Yes, I'd host a CVS tree, too, if someone instructs me.)

I'd prefer a bug tracking system similar to the one Debian (one of the
Linux distributions) is using.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 16:09:29 -0500

>>>>> "LW" == Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]> writes:

LW> I'd prefer a bug tracking system similar to the one Debian (one of the
LW> Linux distributions) is using.

Can you provide a reference?

Of course, this is all up to Chuck.  If he likes the "mailing patches" and
"make a list of bugs" approaches then that's what we'll go with.

 - J<

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 22:18 BST

> Can you provide a reference?

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

This page is the main index page, and is unfortunately huge. This is a
mirror of the master copy at http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/iwj10/debian-bugs/
which is in the UK.

> "make a list of bugs" approaches then that's what we'll go with.

Quite.

I haven't used CVS before: could someone briefly summarise its salient
features?

Austin

---

From: "Stefan 'Stetson' Skoglund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:33:37 +0200

They (debian developers) are probably using GNATS.

If so, yes it is possible to gnats thru a cgi-script
for example.

Unfortunately I dont use a distributed cvs repository.
My ones is accesed thru NFS instead...
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked].

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 11:09 BST

> They (debian developers) are probably using GNATS.

Nope, it's a set of perl scripts custom-written by Ian Jackson
<[email-masked]>.  One of the scripts runs from cron
about every 30mins, and generates the web pages. No cgi is involved
anywhere. Bugs can be opened, closed, added to, reassigned, marked as
forwarded to upstream maintainer etc via email. Shortly, it will be
possible to merge bug reports.

Austin