Subject: Windows unmapped with desktop switch?

From: Nick Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:09:34 -0400

Hello all,

I was reading over virtual.c (very recent version from CVS), and I
just wanted to check if I am reading it correctly:  does fvwm unmap
windows when it changes desk?  How about when it changes page?

Thanks,
Nick Johnson
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:06:03 -0400

Nick Johnson <[email-masked]> writes:
> windows when it changes desk?

Yes.

> How about when it changes page?

I believe it moves the window offscreen in that case.

Does the difference cause any problems for you?

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Nick Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:22:28 -0400

Actually, moving the windows offscreen works better in my case than
unmapping them... but why?

Well, the whole picture is that I am writing a clone of OS X's Expose'
for X11 (and no particular window manager).  I need to fetch a screen
shot of every window.  AFAIK, unmapping windows upon desk change is a
peculiarity of fvwm.

So then, the question becomes, how can an X client (not an fvwm
module) look at an unmapped window and tell whether it is (A) unmapped
due to client behavior, or (B) unmapped by fvwm?

Thanks,
Nick Johnson