Subject: Re: Help on installing FVWM-2.4.19

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:19:27 +0000

On 29 Jan 2005 13:33:54 -0500, I. Thomas Cundiff wrote:
> 
> Since then, on August 25, 2004, I installed GLIB-2.4.2 and GTK+-2.4.2 
> since it was my understanding that these could coexist with versions 
> 1.2.10 of both (which I needed at least for GIMP 1.2.5).
> 
> Today I tried installing FVWM-2.4.19 and after the usual decompression 
> using BZIP2 and untarring, in the FVWM-2.4.19 subdirectory I gave 
> ./configure --without-gnome.

Don't specify --without-gnome, it does not do what you think it does.
In 2.5.x this option is removed, the GNOME hints should be disabled
at config time, not at build time.

> In the messages at the end of the configuration, I got that GTK was not 
> detected and to see config.log for details.  After quite a bit of work 
> which included invoking gtk-config --version to get 1.2.10 (and other 
> information as well), I tried ./configure again with the argument list 
> --without-gnome --disable-gtktest --disable-imlibtest, but I still got 
> that configure could not detect GTK.  So I am attaching the file 
> config.log (here called fvwm-config.log) since in looking at the file it 
> seems clear it recognized the --disable-gtktest but then went ahead and 
> did it anyway.

config.log says that the test program failed. Can you compile this failed
test program included in config.log manually with the gcc flags specified
above that program? I suppose no. If you can find some missing gcc flags
that make that not fvwm specific program, tell us. Otherwise, it just
means that your gtk-1.2 installation is somehow incomplete or broken.

Anyway, the GTK support is only used in FvwmGtk module, nowhere else,
so unless you use this module you should not worry about GTK support.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:53:52 +0000

> Don't specify --without-gnome, it does not do what you think it does.

Sorry, this specific advice was bad, using --without-gnome is useful.

I refered to --disable-gnome-hints (or --disable-gnome in the past).

Regards,
Mikhael.