Subject: unclutter gtk2

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:17:45 -0500

It looks like fvwm, gtk2 and unclutter don't get along.

Run unclutter.
Set Fvwm to use MouseFocus or SloppyFocus
Start a gtk2 program, for example

/usr/bin/gtk-demo

double click stock item browser

move the pointer to the window background area,
in this case its on the right.

Wait for unclutter to try to hide the pointer.

The pointer will start to move up and down as fast as it can.

This doesn't happen with other window managers, I tried twm.

So far I'm having no luck trying to figure out how to
get a trace.

We had previous problems with unclutter in May 2001,
July 2001, and Jan 2002.

-- 
Dan Espen                               E-mail: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:27:15 +0000

> It looks like fvwm, gtk2 and unclutter don't get along.

That's interesting. This problem doesn't happen in gvim (gtk2 version),
or gaim. But one interesting effect I have observed with GTK2 programs
in general is that if the mouse is placed in certain areas of widgets,
the CPU goes to 100%, and the mouse flickers back and forth.

Until now, I had considered it to be a GTK2 bug. But thinking about the
delay, it could also be an unclutter issue (I too, run it). I'll see
what I can dig up about this.

Sorry if this has changed the topic slightly.

-- Thomas Adam

-- 
I know nothing, and understand even less.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:38:01 -0500

> the CPU goes to 100%, and the mouse flickers back and forth.

You need a background area, not a text widget.
Bring up the gvim open file dialog and use one of the
background areas.

> what I can dig up about this.

The Gnome/Gtk folks say there is no XWarpPointer in gtk.
There's none in unclutter either so Fvwm is the likely
culprit.

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jan 2005 16:23:57 -0500

I had to give up unclutter due to this bug.  I still miss it terribly :-(.

It would be nice if someone figured out what the problem is.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:48:56 -0500

> It would be nice if someone figured out what the problem is.

Here's what I just got from [email-masked]:

I  could trigger this  with metacity.  However, when running unclutter
-noevents    it  doesn't  happen.   Without  -noevents,  it  fakes  an
EnterNotify event on  the  window, in an   attempt  to fake  out  some
ancient emacs version's focus/nonfocused cursor changing.

I'm not sure why the faked EnterNotify  causes the cursor to flip out,
but  unclutter should probably  default  to this  hack off since emacs
doesn't seem to need this anymore.

Seems to solve the problem for me.