Subject: Single click RootMenu, double click WindowList

From: William Paul Vrotney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:17:43 -0800

This function works fine if bound to almost anything (like a button):

    Single click RootMenu, double click WindowList
    DestroyFunc RootMenu-or-WindowList
    AddToFunc RootMenu-or-WindowList
    + I Menu Root-Menu mouse -1p -1p
    + D WindowList mouse -1p -1p NoGeometry

If bound to mouse 1 on the root plane

    Mouse 1		R   	N       Menu Root-Menu mouse -1p -1p

it also works fine but, after executing it successfully, fvwm hangs until
the mouse is moved.  For example if you launch an application using this it
will not come up until the mouse is moved.

Is this a bug? Is there another way of achieving this?  It seems like a bug
because it seems to imply that one can not have a flawless binding to a
single and double click on the root plane.

Bill

-- 
William P. Vrotney - [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:45:34 -0500

> single and double click on the root plane.

It looks like earthlink put my reply in your "suspect email" folder.

Here is one more attempt to reach you and my original reply:

Both those functions "menu" and "windowlist" are meant to grab the
xserver and cause the "hang" that you observed.

There has been some experimental code developed for "tear off menus" which
would be a prerequiste for solving this problem with menus.

You might try the Module FvwmWindowList instead of using the built in
windowlist.  The FvwmGtk might serve as a substitute for the menu.

I've closed your problem report as "not a problem". Send mail to
[email-masked] if you feel this is still a problem.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: William Paul Vrotney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:22:04 -0800

> It looks like earthlink put my reply in your "suspect email" folder.

I got your first reply.  Thanks.  If I don't get to look at my suspect email
soon enought to put a previously unknown sender in my address book the well
meaning sender gets the alert that you got.  Sorry about that.

> Here is one more attempt to reach you and my original reply:

Thanks for responding and the additional info.

> xserver and cause the "hang" that you observed.

But shouldn't the code waiting (or hanging) on a user's menu choice release
the wait when a menu choice has been chosen?  Maybe my use of the term
"hang" along with lack of some more information was misleading.

I took your advice and posted a slightly revised and hopefully more accurate
explanation to [email-masked] that (see below) where I say

    > > the mouse is moved.  For example if you launch an application using
    > > this it will not come up until the mouse is moved.

In other words, fvwm does the right thing according to the
RootMenu-or-WindowList function and displays the root menu or windows list
depending on whether the user single clicks or double clicks.  But when this
RootMenu-or-WindowList is asserted for "mouse 1" and then the user launches
an application from the root menu, *then* the application does not come up
until the mouse is moved.  If however, the RootMenu-or-WindowList function
is asserted for a title bar button this works fine.  And therefore this
seems like an inconsistency in the way that fvwm works,
ie. RootMenu-or-WindowList works fine at one place but not at another.

Bill