Subject: Another FAQ suggestion

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:30:35 +0000

Hello, I have another FAQ suggestion based on a question I've seen quite
frequently on irc and email, etc. feel free to modify/correct/rewrite :)

Q. When I Maximize an application, sometimes I get gaps around the
edges, and other times I don't. What's going on?

A. The ICCCM specification allows applications to specify certain
properties the window manager should honour, such as aspect ratio 
(PAspect) or increments to be resized in (PResizeInc). Of course,
sometimes these properties won't perfectly match the size of your
desktop (or ewmh struts), if that should happen, you will get gaps.

In general, the application will have a good reason for doing this (for
example, a terminal window may not want to have only part of a column
visible), but you can make fvwm ignore the hints with ResizeHintOverride.

(The docs suggest only Max/Min size is ignored with ResizeHintOverride,
but that doesnt seem to be true...not that I'm complaining, I like this
feature! (well, i'd prefer it didnt clobber P/USPosition, but I can live
with that!))

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:05:32 +0100

> frequently on irc and email, etc. feel free to modify/correct/rewrite :)

Yes, you're right.  I'll add it as 5.16.

> feature! (well, i'd prefer it didnt clobber P/USPosition, but I can live

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]