Subject: [Fwd] Creation of an Fvwm Forum

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:05:01 +0100

Hi there,

Please find below a mail from the creator of a fvwm
forum. I have added a link to the fvwm homepage.

Have fun, Uwe

----- Forwarded message from Bert Geens <[email-masked]> -----

From: Bert Geens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:07:21 +0100
Subject: Creation of an Fvwm Forum
X-Spam-Score: 0.9 (/)

Dear mister Pross,

I don't really know how to start this off, so I'll just plunge into it
straight away: I have started a forum (or Bulletin Board if you prefer)
for Fvwm. I had a couple of reasons for doing this, which I'll detail
below, which you can skip if you think I'm ranting too much (my
apoligies if I am).

Well, the first and most obvious reason is that there was no Fvwm Forum
before I started this project, but that doesn't say why we'd need one
anyway, the Fvwm community has lots of other ways of communicating:
there's the mailinglists, the wiki and the IRC channel, so why would we
need a forum? I'll start with comparing the advantages of forums to each
of the above mentioned forms of communication.

A Wiki is a great way to generate community driven up-to-date
communication, but it obviously lacks any real communication between the
participants themselves, further a Wiki provides answers and doesn't
allow for user questions.

I'm no big fan of mailinglists, they lack every decent form of layout in
their messages and their searchability is about nonexistant.

If we're talking about IRC we can just forget about searching, unless
you want to search through 2Mb of IRC logs just to find that answer you
heard someday to the problem you think you have today.

So I think forums have the following qualities:
 - they are easily searchable
 - they maintain community interaction while at the same time allowing
for the building of some sort of a "knowledge base", script/function
resource, or just by being a FAQ on it's own.
 - they have a nice and easily usable layout.

So I wondered if it would be possible to add a link to the forum from
the main Fvwm site, the url is http://fvwm.lair.be .

I'd be most grateful if you could help with this, I see this as my
chance to do something back for the community that has helped me a lot
already. Please don't hesistate to contact me me about any questions,
suggestions or remarks you might have at this point.

With kind regards,

Bert Geens

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise your mail is discarded by a filter.
=-"-"-= http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]