Subject: Removing FvwmCommand - Any opinions?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:39:02 +0200

I'd like to remove the current implementation of FvwmCommand
because its signal and pipe handling is fundamentally flawed.  Too
often, a lock file of the FvwmCommand executable is left in
/var/tmp although it's already dead.

Rewriting it in a safe fashion should not be too difficult.  But
FvwmCommand has a couple of features that I find completely
useless:

 * Any value > 1 for the -i option.  There are other modules
   to dump fvwm module packets.
 * The -F option (same reason).
 * The -m option (can be done easier by invoking a function).
 * The -r and -w options (dito)

Overall I think FvwmCommand is causing more trouble than it's
worth.

What do you think?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:07:54 +1000

Hi Dominik,

> /var/tmp although it's already dead.

Can we use atexit(close_fifos)? (Lemme guess, not portable?)

> FvwmCommand has a couple of features that I find completely

It pleases me greatly that I can find a use for such esoteric features. :)
(Perhaps this merely suggests my choice of implementation is suboptimal
though.)

I use '-i2' & '-m' options in a simple shell script which allows me to
send windows to an FvwmTabs tabber. ie.

tab rxvt -bg blue

will create an rxvt window & put it in the last focussed tabber.

Script is here:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/scottie7/tab.zsh

> Overall I think FvwmCommand is causing more trouble than it's

I don't mind if it gets rewritten. I do use a couple of the features
you're contemplating removing, but there may be other ways to
accomplish the functionality in tab.zsh.

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 03:16:20 +0200

> Can we use atexit(close_fifos)? (Lemme guess, not portable?)

Whether it's portable or not - the main problem that FvwmCommand
has is that it's prone to many race conditions that may cause it
to segfault.  It it shuts down normally, it removes the lock file
itself.

> accomplish the functionality in tab.zsh.

Well, I'd rather write it from scratch, but keeping just the code
handling i/o formatting wouldn't be too bad.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^