Subject: Notification: incoming/1480

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:38:15 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/1480

Message summary for PR#1480
	From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
	Subject: fvwm: Fullscreen should not require EWMHUseStackingOrderHints style
	Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:26:38 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Tue Oct 26 13:38:04 2004
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Per von Zweigbergk <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
Subject: fvwm: Fullscreen should not require EWMHUseStackingOrderHints style 
From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Organization: The Golden Gryphon
Mail-Copies-To: nobody
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:26:38 -0500

Hi,

        [Please retain the CC to [email-masked]
         so that the Debian BTS has a record of your input]

	This was reported by a Debian user.

 Fvwm2 seems to have some trouble with the EWMH fullscreen mode.

 My configuration includes a stay-on-top FvwmPager.  When putting EWMH
 compliant applications, such as tvtime, the pager is not obscured by
 the fullscreen window, so I get a TV window with a pager floating on
 top, which is less than desirable.

 The bug can also be reproduced with the fullscreen modes in Mozilla
 Firefox and OpenOffice.org, but I have not tested using this
 extensively as I have with tvtime.

 The bug can be worked around by setting:

 Style *           EWMHUseStackingOrderHints

 in the .fvwm2rc file.

 After investigating the problem, my analysis of the problem is that
 it seems (according to the excellent fvwm manual page) that the
 EWMHUseStackingOrderHints was intended to disable/enable some
 KDE-specific extentions.

 Unfortunately, the slightly misleading option name lead a programmer to
 misinterpret the meaning of the flag when programming the fullscreen
 code, and made that disable the stacking code in that when it was
 enabled.

 The fact that the option is not intended to disable *all* stacking
 hints is further supported by the fact that tvtime also has an (AFAIK)
 EWMH-compliant Always-on-top mode, which does manage to obscure the
 pager properly, even when EWMHUseStackingOrderHints unset.

 From http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s07.html#STACKINGORDER

 # Stacking order
 #
 # To obtain good interoperability between different Desktop Environments,
 # the following layered stacking order is recommended, from the bottom:
 #
 # * windows of type _NET_WM_TYPE_DESKTOP
 # * windows having state _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW
 # * windows not belonging in any other layer
 # * windows of type _NET_WM_TYPE_DOCK (unless they have state
 #   _NET_WM_TYPE_BELOW) and windows having state _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE
 # * focused windows having state _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN
 #
 # Windows that are transient for another window should be kept above this
 # window.
 #
 # The window manager may choose to put some windows in different stacking
 # positions, for example to allow the user to bring currently a active
 # window to the top and return it back when the window looses focus.

	Let me summarize:

 If the EWMHUseStackingOrderHints style is on, fullscreen works. Pager
 is hidden as it should be.

 If the EWMHUseStackingOrderHints style is off, fullscren works, but
 pager is not hidden. But, EWMH always-on-top modes such as the one
 found in tvtime still works.

 According to the documentation, EWMHUseStackingOrderHints affects
 KDE-specific extentions. The extentions mentioned aren't KDE
 extentions, they are a part of the EWMH standard 1.3 from
 freedesktop.org. So either the documentation is wrong or the code is
 wrong.

 And still, you shouldn't have to activate a special option in order
 for FVWM to fully comply with the recommendation in the standard.

 So, I see two possibilities:

 - The option is intended to tell EWMH never to dictate stacking. In
   that case it's broken since tvtime's EWMH always-on-top stacking
   still works when that option is disabled, and the documentation is
   wrong.

 - And what I think is more likely: The option was intended to
   activate special KDE-specific extentions (as per the documentation)
   but somehow breaks fullscreen mode to be out of compliance with
   recommendations if disabled. This has nothing to do with KDE
   extentions AFAIK.

 The bug has been tested mainly on fvwm debian versions 2.5.10-12 and
 2.5.10-13 (latest testing versions), and has also been tested against
 2.5.12 from the tarball from upstream.

	manoj
-- 
An economist is a man who would marry Farrah Fawcett for her
money. Edgar R. Fiedler
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]