Subject: Re: SnapAttraction does not work properly since 2.5.11

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

> It actually works, but only if no modifier is pressed.

I sure hope that is meant as an acknowledgement that this is a problem,
not as a solution/workaround.

I only move and resize windows with modifiers since I do not have title
bars or borders at all.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:44:21 +0000

> I only move and resize windows with modifiers since I do not have title

The intended logic is simple, as long as Alt is pressed, there is no
snap-attraction; as long as it is not pressed, there is one.

It is possible to press and release Alt as many times as needed to switch
snap-attraction on and off while moving windows using keyboard or mouse.

But, I think, the described logic was such only initially when I added
this feature. I changed it since then:

2002-04-27  Mikhael Goikhman  <[email-masked]>

        * fvwm/move_resize.c:
        don't start Move with snap disabled if Alt is initially pressed

So, indeed, it seems like someone changed the logic again.

Please don't keep fvwm-bugs in Cc, any message to it starts a new bug.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

> snap-attraction on and off while moving windows using keyboard or mouse.

Not when alt being continuously pressed is part of your only way of moving
a window...which is the workflow I put SnapAttraction into fvwm in the
first place for.  Therefore, I hope that this new intended logic is not
really intended anymore.

Really, this toggable snap feature thing should be via some bindable event,
not a specific modifier (like an alt key), and it should be unbound (off)
by default.

Alternatively it should be setup by a command like:
SnapToggle M

> Please don't keep fvwm-bugs in Cc, any message to it starts a new bug.

Sorry about that.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:07:55 +0000

> not a specific modifier (like an alt key), and it should be unbound (off)

It was on in 2.5.10, and it seems you liked it. The toggle-able snap
feature worked starting with the first fresh Alt press.

There are many hardcoded bindings, like Ctrl-arrows moves a window by 1
pixel in interactive Move. Middle mouse button cancels Move, third button
activates a certain window flag. This is good. Noone complained yet.

In short, I agree that the logic from 2.5.10 should be restored. but I
think your suggestions are redundant.

Regards,
Mikhael.