Subject: Notification: incoming/1397

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:48:13 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/1397

Message summary for PR#1397
	From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
	Subject: fvwm: oblique menu font causes missing pixels at end of text
	Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:41:38 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sun Aug 15 10:48:12 2004
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ralf Neubauer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject:  fvwm: oblique menu font causes missing pixels at end of text
From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Organization: The Debian Project
Mail-Copies-To: nobody
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:41:38 -0500

Hi,

        [Please retain the CC to [email-masked], so
        that the Debian BTS has a record of your input]

	This was reported by a Debian user.

	manoj

 Package: fvwm                                                                  
 Version: 2.5.10-3                                                              
 Severity: normal                                                               
                                                                                
 hi,                                                                            
                                                                                
 my MenuStyle is                                                                
                                                                                
 MenuStyle   Black grey SlateGrey                                               
 -*-helvetica-medium-o-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-* mwm                                 
                                                                                
 if the last character of a menu entry is for example an "l" or an
 "R", the upper right part of the glyph is not displayed, as if the
 width of the text would be measured at the base line and the slant
 causes the characters to go outside this box, the outside parts are
 not displayed.  When i highlight the entry with the mouse, the
 missing part is drawn and stays this way (until the menu vanishes).
                                                                                
 -- System Information                                                          
 Debian Release: 3.0-bunk-1                                                     
 Architecture: i386                                                             
 Kernel: Linux strcmp.libc 2.6.5-strcmp.1 #4 Tue Apr 6 22:08:52 CEST 2004 i686  
 Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=de_DE                                                 
                                                                                
 Versions of packages fvwm depends on:                                          
 ii  libc6                    2.3.2.ds1-11    GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
 ii  libfontconfig1           2.2.2-1         generic font configuration library
 ii  libfreetype6             2.1.7-2         FreeType 2 font engine, shared lib
 ii  libfribidi0              0.10.4-1woody1  Free Implementation of the Unicode
 pn  libice6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.                 Not found.                        
 ii  libpng12-0               1.2.5.0-5       PNG library - runtime             
 pn  libsm6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0                 Not found.                        
 ii  libstroke0               0.5.1-2         support for mouse strokes like tho
 pn  libx11-6 | xlibs (>> 4.1                 Not found.                        
 pn  libxext6 | xlibs (>> 4.1                 Not found.                        
 ii  libxft2                  2.1.2-6         FreeType-based font drawing librar
 ii  libxrender1              0.8.3-5         X Rendering Extension client libra
 ii  xlibs                    4.2.1-3.bunk.10 X Window System client libraries  
 ii  xlibs [libxpm4]          4.2.1-3.bunk.10 X Window System client libraries  
 ii  zlib1g                   1:1.2.1-5       compression library - runtime     

-- 
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he
knows absolutely everything about nothing.
Manoj Srivastava   <[email-masked]>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>
1024R/C7261095 print CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B  924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:52:46 +0200

>  missing part is drawn and stays this way (until the menu vanishes).

I pinned down the problem, but have no fix.  In Flocale.c, the
function XmbTextEscapement is used to get the width of a string.
It returns the offset from the start of the string where the next
character would be printed, but for slanted fonts that is not the
width of the bounding box:

normal font:

  |
  |
  |
  |
  | 
    ^
    |
  start of next character, width = 1

slanted font:

      /
     / ^
    /  |___ width of bounding box = 5
   /
  /
    ^
    |
  start of next character, width = 1

Any idea what we can do about it?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:05:07 +0200 (CEST)

> Any idea what we can do about it?

Is there some property of the font telling how much slated it is? (in 
radians, or so... :-) )

And then, there's also xft to take care of. Or perhaps the corresponding 
xft functions compensate for this? It was a while since I messed with that 
code. But I could do some research in the matter...

//Marcus