Subject: Notification: incoming/1339

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 03:30:19 -0500 (CDT)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/1339

Message summary for PR#1339
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Disconnects from X Server on Mac OSX
	Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:49:23 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Jul 03 14:49:23 2004
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 14:49:23 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Disconnects from X Server on Mac OSX

Full_Name: Chad Wingrave
Version: 2.4.15
CVS_Date: 
OS: Mac OSX 10.3.4
X_Server: Apple's X11
Submission from: (NULL) (198.82.174.175)

After a period of time, or especially after I move my laptop home, use it
there and return to the lab network (both wireless), I am unable to open
any new X items saying unable to connect to X server.  When using Apple's
window manager, there is not the same problem.  I'm guessing it gets
connected as the hostname changes.  The problem is that it does not always
fail.  When I come back to the lab, I know the DHCP hostname it gives my
machine is always the same and I am assuming the same at home but I can not
be certain (have not checked).

Anyway, it is annoying to have to close all my window's (i'm one of those
guys that likes many xterms open), restart the X server and then reopen all
my windows.  I've tried restartting fvwm2 but it just crashes (as I assume
it tries to reconnect to the X server and fails).

Any ideas?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:46:03 +0200

> it tries to reconnect to the X server and fails).

Have you tried to set your DISPLAY to

  $ export DISPLAY=localhost:0

? This way the host name and IP address should not matter.  Make
sure it is properly set, even if you restart the window manager.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

---

From: Chad Wingrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

I've tried about every configuration of the DISPLAY variable there is.  
No, it does not work.  I poked around at various commands that talk to the 
X server and basically, they can't connect to it either.  Again, not a 
problem with the Apple window manager.

I'm really curious about this because it is such an odd error.  Not 
critical but i'm imagining others are having it too though I don't know 
why they are not reporting it.  Maybe the fact that I take my laptop 
between domains reduces the types of users that have this problem.

Anyway, thanks for fvwm2.  I've been using it since about 95 and love the 
fact that you are all still developing it.

    -chad

-- 
        -Chad Wingrave ([email-masked])
         Virginia Tech, Graduate Student
         http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~cwingrav

PS> This is what some of the alphabet would look like if we got rid of Q & R.