Subject: EWMH & icons

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 05:24:42 +1000

Hi Mikhael,

A question for you:

Some apps (for example GVim) appear to have their own icons built in &
I'm wondering if there's a way to access them somehow? (through the
perllib interface of course)

Using the WindowList tracker, M_MINI_ICON events have the value
"ewmh_mini_icon" for the name/mini_icon_name field. Not useful to
FvwmTabs as I can't load the image.

I'm trying to associate mini icons with each tab in FvwmTabs. See:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/scottie7/tmp/fvwmtabs.icons.png

Any ideas?

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:26:17 +0000

> FvwmTabs as I can't load the image.

I suppose you mean field named icon_id in M_MINI_ICON in perllib.

Are you sure you can't just embed the mini icon window by its id?
You will need to do this anyway, since I think Tk does not support png.

If you are at it, feel free to update FvwmWindowMenu to use WindowList
tracker and to support ewmh mini icons (I guess, you need to patch fvwm
menus a bit to support mini-icons by window id, in addition to by name).
:-)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:20:42 +1000

> I suppose you mean field named icon_id in M_MINI_ICON in perllib.

Ah, I can do a XGetImage($icon_id).

> Are you sure you can't just embed the mini icon window by its id?

Don't think so. There appears to be only one copy of each mini icon
(pixmap) in the X server - the same icon_id can be used by multiple
windows.

> You will need to do this anyway, since I think Tk does not support png.

Tk supports PNG images just fine - I am currently using them in
FvwmTabs.

> tracker

Sure. I'm currently implementing a whole bunch of new features for
FvwmTabs - I'll look at FvwmWindowMenu after I release the next version.

>and to support ewmh mini icons (I guess, you need to patch fvwm

Ok.

SCoTT. :)