Subject: Fvwm shm and remote X sessions

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 01:38:36 +0530

When you try to run fvwm in a remote X session(ie., Xserver runs on one
machine.. and fvwm on another.) it's trying to use shared memory and it
causes a lots of issues with images..

1) all my FvwmButtons which use images coredump(the ones which don't use
images and just swallow other apps work fine)
2) My minimized app icons look like this ..
	http://kingsly.net/tmp/fvwm-shm-bug.png

3) There is also similiar corruption in the mini-icons used in windowlists etc.

I rebuilt fvwm with the --disable-shm option... and everything works fine
now.

Would be nice if fvwm could detect if shared memory is usable before it tries
to use it... mplayer seems to be able to do it.

Kingsly

PS: the corruption occured on both 2.5.9 and 2.5.10 using shared memory.
-- 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:11:59 +0200

> causes a lots of issues with images..

Yes I known this problem, I will fix it soon.

Thanks for the report, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:00:47 +0200

> to use it... mplayer seems to be able to do it.

Hello Kingsly,

I've committed a fix to the cvs. Can you try the next snapshot:

ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/snapshots/fvwm-snap-20040430.tar.gz

which should pop up soon.

Regards, Olivier