Subject: FAQ Entry

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:03:32 +0100

Hello list, Dominik asked if I could provide a FAQ entry about Thumbnail
Icons on #fvwm earlier today, so here it is...

Feel free to edit it however you like :)

Q. How can I set a screenshot as an Icon?

A. You will need fvwm 2.5.8 or later, as this solution requires the
WindowStyle command, and you should have the ImageMagick utililties
available in your $PATH <URL:http://www.imagemagick.org/>.

This function will provide a Replacement for the Iconify command called
Thumbnail, which you can use in your bindings and will Raise each window
take a screenshot and attempt to set the screenshot as the window's Icon.

DestroyFunc Thumbnail
AddToFunc Thumbnail
+ I Raise
+ I ThisWindow (!Shaded Iconifiable !Iconic) PipeRead \
        "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] | convert -scale 64 -frame 1x1 \
        -mattecolor black -quality 0 xwd:-
png:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
        && echo WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon
$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
    || echo Nop"
+ I Iconify

You can use FvwmEvent to remove the Icons when each window is returned to
it's non Iconic state.

DestroyFunc DeThumbnail
AddToFunc DeThumbnail
+ I Exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png
+ I DestroyWindowStyle

*FvwmEvent: deiconify DeThumbnail

AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmEvent

If you cannot use DestroyWindowStyle as you require it for some other
purpose, you can save the window's current Icon, and restore it when
required, this solution requires fvwm 2.5.9 or later.

The Thumbnail function should look like this:

DestroyFunc Thumbnail
AddToFunc Thumbnail
+ I Raise
+ I SetEnv Icon-$[w.id] $[w.iconfile]
+ I ThisWindow (!Shaded Iconifiable !Iconic) PipeRead \
    "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] | convert -scale 64 -frame 1x1 \
    -mattecolor black -quality 0 xwd:-
png:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
    && echo WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon
$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
    || echo Nop"
+ I Iconify

And then the Icon is restored with this function:

DestroyFunc DeThumbnail
AddToFunc DeThumbnail
+ I PipeRead "echo WindowStyle Icon \\$\\[Icon-$[w.id]\\]"
+ I UnsetEnv Icon-$[w.id]
+ I Exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png

These Icons can also survive a Restart by adding this check to your
StartFunction:

AddToFunc StartFunction I Test (Restart) All (Iconic) \
	Test (f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png) WindowStyle \
	IconOverride, Icon $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png

You can also check for any remaining icons left behind and remove them in
your ExitFunction:

AddToFunc ExitFunction I Test (!ToRestart) \
	Exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.*

Thanks, Tavis.

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:32:46 +0200

> Feel free to edit it however you like :)

Thanks!  I've put it into the FAQ.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]