Subject: Homepage cleaning

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:18:11 +0100

Hi,

The desktop screenshot page is growing and growing. Some of
them are quite old. To save a bit space and keep the pages
actual we may remove some of the old shots. Any thoughts or
suggestions?

I also plan to remove the birthday stuff from the homepage
soon. 

Further I would like to add a window decoration screenshot
page which replaces the current one. On the page _complete_
window decoration setups with button descriptions, pixmaps,
mouse bindings and menus should be provided. The idea is to
provide small packages which are useable without or only
with minor changes (Actually just a Read from fvwmrc should
be enough).

(According to last discussions we should also provide
 useable fvwmrcs which show a the features of fvwm.)

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,   For personal reply/mail put "fvwm"
 (O,O)  in the subject.
 (   )  Otherwise I won't receive your mail.
--"-"----------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:57:06 +0100

> actual we may remove some of the old shots. Any thoughts or

I'm not sure it's really important to save space in CVS, but I
agree that there are too many shots, but I don't know which to
sort out.  Maybe it's worth the effort to split the desktop shots
into a section demonstrating features and an eye candy section.
 
> I also plan to remove the birthday stuff from the homepage

:-(

> with minor changes (Actually just a Read from fvwmrc should

Yes, this is a very good idea.

>  useable fvwmrcs which show a the features of fvwm.)

There is a lot of useful stuff in fvwm theme.  Perhaps it can be
extracted.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:10:31 +0100

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:57:06AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:

hi all,

> There is a lot of useful stuff in fvwm theme.  Perhaps it can be

Yesterday I had to explain someone how to start the fvwm-themes-start.
Actually I told him he should replace fvwm with fvwm-themes-start in the
.xinitrc file. (I hope that's about the way to do it).

When I wanted to start the themes, I first executed that
fvwm-themes-start, what I found by chance while <tab>ing in the shell
(or similar), and it complained something about X-server (because fvwm
were already running). So I put that in the .xinitrc and it worked.

What I want to say here, maybe a hint about that, so that people
interested in fvwm can right away see it's power (what should be obvious
while checking out all the themes (with their potential to mimic other
wm's p.e )) without having to start from the basic setup (from where
they can start over  later after they saw what's all possible, *after*
they may are hooked already).

What I want to say, maybe a hint anywhere especially for new starters,
that they should add `fvwm-themes-start' in the .xinitrc file when they
want to explore fvwm rather than the default fvwm.
(I think fvwm-themes-start is a separate packet, so they would have to
download that too).

When I explored the fvwm-themes-start, it really hooked me, because I
was able to see the 'freedom' :) what can be done with fvwm, so I knew I
could build up <my very own wm> based on the great fvwm, and that was
what I have been looking for. I still don't really know if that's also
possible with some other wm's in that degree, but I woudn't think so
(especially compared to the popular ones).

Summary: a hint for new starters/testers `enforcing' them to try out
fvwm-themes-start rather than the default .fvwm.

why not puttings something like this to the quick jumps at the fvwm
start-page: 

Explore Fvwm --> following maybe a hint about fvwm-themes-start
and a few screenshots from those.

greetings and thanks

marco candrian

> -- Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.  To
> unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the body
> of a message to [email-masked].  To report problems, send mail to
> [email-masked]

-- 
  calmar
           (o_         GNU/Linux is GREAT
           //\
           V_/_        http://www.calmar.ws

---

From: calmar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:14:58 +0100

hi all,

> and a few screenshots from those.

obviously a lot of what I was thinking about already exists:

http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

greetings
marco candrian