Subject: cosmetic changes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:01:21 -0000 (UTC)

hello, i would like to propose some minor cosmetic changes to fvwm. please
have a look at http://helloworld.sh/wm/mod/ and let me know what you
think.

thanks,
derek
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:45:06 +0530

> have a look at http://helloworld.sh/wm/mod/ and let me know what you

Could you also post the zoomed in pixel-by-pixel graph images for all the
small images (both before and after the change) ?

TIA

Kingsly

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:26:32 +0100 (CET)

> small images (both before and after the change) ?

There's a link "bigger" that features xmag-like shots.

But the shadow differs from MWM :-)
And you should use these button styles if you want the perfect emulation:

ButtonStyle 1 3 0+4px50+1p@0 100-5px50+1p@0 100-5px50-2p@0
AddButtonStyle 1 3 0+4px50+1p@1 0+4px50-2p@1 100-5px50-2p@1
ButtonStyle 2 3 0+4px100-5p@0 100-5px100-5p@0 100-5px0+4p@0
AddButtonStyle 2 3 0+4px100-5p@1 0+4px0+4p@1 100-5px0+4p@1
ButtonStyle 4 3 50-2px50+1p@0 50+1px50+1p@0 50+1px50-2p@0
AddButtonStyle 4 3 50-2px50+1p@1 50-2px50-2p@1 50+1px50-2p@1

:)

//Marcus

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:47:31 -0000 (GMT)

> AddButtonStyle 4 3 50-2px50+1p@1 50-2px50-2p@1 50+1px50-2p@1

i did notice the shadow colors and the buttons. i figured i would only
change stuff in the source that couldn't be adjusted in the config file.
colorsets and those buttons would take it all the way.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:39:06 +0530

> There's a link "bigger" that features xmag-like shots.

I meant something like this http://helloworld.sh/wm/mwm-full.png

But I think this is what I wanted to point out(I don't read/write
vector-ese! )

> AddButtonStyle 4 3 50-2px50+1p@1 50-2px50-2p@1 50+1px50-2p@1

Does this make the dot and the vertical bar to be 2x2 and 2x7
pixels(excluding the 1 pixel border) in length ?

Personally I prefer the current form of the buttons 3x3 and 3x9!

Kingsly

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:15:35 +0100 (CET)

> pixels(excluding the 1 pixel border) in length ?

Yes, depending on the font size, using a font the same height as on the
screenshot (helvetica 12 currently on my desktop).

> Personally I prefer the current form of the buttons 3x3 and 3x9!

Using the above setup (or simimlar) the dot is always the same size
regardless of the font size (or rather titlebar height), if you want that.
(similarly the bar is a fixed width and a fixed number of pixels from the
edge at the left and right, and similar for the sqaure).

//Marcus

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:11:12 +0000

> have a look at http://helloworld.sh/wm/mod/ and let me know what you

1) Style * FVWMBorder

Personally, I like your change to the left-bottom 7x7 corner of the
border, this makes it more symmetric to the right-top corner. I think I
mentioned this to Dominik some years ago when he designed the current
look, but these several pixels were not changed.

But I dislike your changes to 4 handles (on the bottom and the right
borders), this makes the borders asymmetrical. I like the current look.

(Yes, I remember that old proprietary WMs like 4Dwm had less bold handles
similar to the ones on the bottom+right sides after your change.)

Sorry, I don't like your changes to the window button's 3d-ness either.

2) Style * MWMBorder

I don't think any of the looks is perfect (I like symmetry here for some
reason), but the current look that is more symmetric is more pleasant to
me. Not that I am against to have a better simulation. Just an opinion.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:51:17 +0100

> look, but these several pixels were not changed.

I've committed a patch.

> borders), this makes the borders asymmetrical. I like the current look.

Yes, I think the handles should be independent of the border and
not try to merge into it.

> Sorry, I don't like your changes to the window button's 3d-ness either.

With buttons, there is always the problem that if you arrange them
in a grid, you get a one pixel thick solid line, either vertically
or horizontally (or both).  Currently, we don't have that line
with TitleAt{Top,Bottom}, but with TitleAt{Left,Right}.

> me. Not that I am against to have a better simulation. Just an opinion.

I don't care about perfect emulation that nobody will notice.  The
borders should look good.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:45:36 -0000 (GMT)

> me. Not that I am against to have a better simulation. Just an opinion.

i agree, symmetrical is the way to go. i've got a new idea. i'm going to
gimp up some images.

later,
derek