Subject: aterm and ConfigureNotify events

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:42:03 +0000

Hi there, I'm a pretty noisy advocate of fvwm among Gentoo Linux users
and one of the questions/comments I seem to keep getting is that when
aterm terminals are being moved opaquely, they have a really noticable
"Flicker"...I can see this as well, but as aterm is the only application
I've ever seen it with and it works fine with rxvt (from which aterm is
derived), it must be an aterm bug.

Apparently it looks okay with fluxbox, so they must do some
aterm-detection magic (cheating :). Trying to demonstrate this to some
people I was going to use the FlickeringMoveWorkaround BugOpt, but I
can't seem to make it work..browsing the source, I cant even see how its
supposed to work.

and an xev window confirms that it still gets ConfigureNotify's while 
being moved, no matter what setting it has.

Shouldnt there be some sort of check in SendConfigureNotify()?

maybe like this:

$ cvs diff fvwm/events.c
Index: fvwm/events.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /home/cvs/fvwm/fvwm/fvwm/events.c,v
retrieving revision 1.488
diff -u -w -r1.488 events.c
--- fvwm/events.c       16 Feb 2004 13:45:59 -0000      1.488
+++ fvwm/events.c       17 Feb 2004 12:22:31 -0000
@@ -3485,7 +3485,7 @@
        XEvent client_event;
        size_borders b;
 
-       if (!fw || IS_SHADED(fw))
+       if (!fw || IS_SHADED(fw) || Scr.bo.DisableConfigureNotify)
        {
                return;
        }

my fvwm2rc is here if you need it http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/fvwm2rc.html

btw, two really cool patches yesterday Dominik..Thanks!

-- 
-------------------------------------
[email-masked] | finger me for my gpg key.
-------------------------------------------------------
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:15:17 +0100

> Shouldnt there be some sort of check in SendConfigureNotify()?

No, the code belongs in move_resize.c.  It was there before, but
seems to have been removed accidentally at some time between 2.3.8
and 2.4.5.  Just add

  && !Scr.bo.DisableConfigureNotify

in the conditions around the two SendConfigureNotify() calls in
move_resize.c, or use the latest code from CVS.

> Index: fvwm/events.c

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Tavis Ormandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:39:40 +0000

> move_resize.c, or use the latest code from CVS.

Thanks, that works even better. I think i'll leave this option on
permanently, makes the Opaque/Animated Moving noticably smoother for some 
of my other applications as well :)