Subject: Re: FVWM: Settings program specific bindings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 05:50:35 GMT

Hi All,

* CLASS & RESOURCE DYNAMIC CONTEXTS

Well i guess the cat's out of the bag.
My idea was to implement Class & Resource specific contexts.
Thus allowing class/res. specific bindings.

I got stalled when designing a suitable data structure for storing
the bindings -- this requires a lot of source code in contrast to
the compiled in version i hacked up earlier. Either way, this was the
syntax we decided on (for an example FvwmTabs key binding):

FvwmContext FvwmTabs C "FvwmTabs"
[ set the FvwmTabs context to match windows with class name matching
"FvwmTabs" ]

Key Tab (FvwmTabs) C Function NextTab
[ Any windows matching the FvwmTabs context parse this binding,
all others simply ignore it -- i.e. Mozilla still gets the Ctrl-Tab ]

I would be very interested in current fvwm hackers' views on this
feature and its feasibility. I would be happy to do most of the code
myself, but obviously experienced fvwm-ers will have valuable advice
when extensively modifying the code tree.

Mostly, a nicely compatible/similar data structure for keeping these
bindings (similar to current bindings structure) is the stumbling block.

Alternatively, a compilable version using currently unreserved context
letters can be provided with a few changes by myself if this change is
too major/not feasible. e.g.
Key Tab X C Function NextTab
(Where CONTEXT_X="FvwmTabs" is in defines.h)

Let me know what you think.

Craig
--
[email-masked]

> Hi Micha,
> 
> : Is it possible to define program specific bindings (using whatever
> : resource type)?
> : 
> : For example, can I define key bindings that would be active only over a
> : fvwm tabs window?
> 
> My brother hacked the Fvwm source to do this - specifically for FvwmTabs
> too. eg. You could press Ctrl-Tab on an FvwmTabs window & it would show the
> next tab but it would also allow Ctrl-Tab on non-FvwmTabs windows to
> "go through" to the app so that it still worked in apps like Mozilla.
> 
> I'm not sure how robust the solution was. Maybe he can tell us - I
> think he's on this list.
> 
> So, Craig?
> 
> SCoTT. :)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]