Subject: Mozilla/Firebird FullScreen issues

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 08:33:33 +0530

Hitting F11 makes the browser window randomly disappear.. it even disappears
from the windowlist.. but the process is still running.

With MozillaFirebird(0.7) there was a disappearance rate of 100% on 2.5.7 ..
didn't file a bug report then because I thought it might be a Firebird
problem.. but after upgrading to 2.5.8 it randomly disappears.

And the problem also exists on Mozilla 1.4 + fvwm 2.5.8

Plus the titlebar/borders don't disappear in fullscreen mode.(the border is
only visible on the left so it looks ugly)

(I think on 2.5.8 the window mostly disappears while resizing back to normal
size.)

These are the messages I found in the xsession logs...

For Firebird....

s  -5/-29 -125/-262, g   0/  0 -120/-233: +++ near border icccm 0x081770a8
'System Information - Mozilla Firebird'

For Mozilla ...

s  -5/-29 -447/-400, g   0/  0 -442/-371: +++ near border icccm 0x081770a8
'System Information - Mozilla'

Kingsly

-- 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 08:01:45 +0000

> only visible on the left so it looks ugly)

Just to let you know that I can't reproduce this with MozillaFirebird
0.6.1 (no time to upgrade now) and Mozilla 1.4.

When I press F11 the browser windows go into the fullscreen mode without
decorations and never disappear.

I can see some weird problem with Mozilla (but not MozillaFirebird)
that is not what you describe, i.e. when returning from fullscreen mode,
after receiving the original geometry, Mozilla immediattely moves itself
into +0+0 position.

If you press Alt-Tab (WindowList) do you see "disappeared" windows?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:54:01 +0530

> 0.6.1 (no time to upgrade now) and Mozilla 1.4.

Try hitting F11 multiple times... I have been unable to go past 6-7 hits on
Mozilla 1.4!

> decorations and never disappear.

This is what fullscreen looks like on my machine...

http://kingsly.net/mozfull.png - 238KB

(and I just noticed that gkrellm remains on top of Mozilla too! ref. other
thread.)

> If you press Alt-Tab (WindowList) do you see "disappeared" windows?

Nope it disappears from the WindowList too.

Kingsly

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:24:22 +0530

> decorations and never disappear.

I downgraded to 2.5.7 to test .. and Mozilla1.4 goes to fullscreen as
expected without any visible borders. Firebird though disappears the moment I
hit F11.

Mozilla1.4 takes around 6-7 hits of F11 before it disappears.

Kingsly

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:34:36 +0000

> Try hitting F11 multiple times... I have been unable to go past 6-7 hits on

Pressed F11 100 times in Mozilla 1.4, it does not disappear.

Just a bad repositioning/jump to +0+0 on un-fullscreen.

Pressed F11 100 time in MozillaFirebird 0.6.1, there is no any problem.

> http://kingsly.net/mozfull.png - 238KB

Then we use either different fvwm or mozilla versions.

Do you see empty output or a line with _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN when you
run the following in xterm:

  xprop | grep _NET_WM_STATE

and select a full-screen mozilla?

> (and I just noticed that gkrellm remains on top of Mozilla too! ref. other

It seems that currently a window in FULLSCREEN state is simply raised, I
think it may be placed into layer 10 too, or this may be configurable.

> Nope it disappears from the WindowList too.

So, it just quits (or dumps core)? What does "ps" say?

Ok, I will let Olivier to continue this thread.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:05:42 +0530

> Just a bad repositioning/jump to +0+0 on un-fullscreen.

I notice that too (the titlebar gets placed outside the screen).

> and select a full-screen mozilla?

There is no output on both Mozilla and Firebird.

> think it may be placed into layer 10 too, or this may be configurable.

This functionality has changed between 2.5.7 and 2.5.8 .. in 2.5.7 both
mozilla and tvtime go fullscreen and on top... but in 2.5.8 gkrellm stays on
top of both the apps.

> So, it just quits (or dumps core)? What does "ps" say?

It neither quits nor dumps core!! You can still see it running in the output
of top/ps .. and it seems to be working okay.. because starting a second
instance of Firebird causes a "new window" to be opened.(It's not a fresh
instance of Firebird because it doesn't load my home page.)

FWIW, I'm using ...

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031022 Firebird/0.7

and 

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030701

Kingsly

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:47:08 +0100

Hello,

First some clarifications. 2.5.8 support the ewmh way to go full screen
(_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN) and 2.5.7 does not. I can reproduce the
mozilla disappearing problem with 2.5.7, I cannot with 2.5.8.

One point is that an application (here mozilla) can use different
method to go full screen regardless the fact the wm support or not the
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state. If you switch from 2.5.7 to 2.5.8 with
a restart, mozilla can think that 2.5.8 does not support the
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state.

About layer. It will be good to have fullscreenLayer style, we have
not. But you should try:

	Style * EWMHUseStackingOrderHints

which puts (ewmh) full screen window at the default top layer.

> I notice that too (the titlebar gets placed outside the screen).

Yes, when I test this my conclusion was that this is a mozilla bug
(mozilla ask this, maybe there is a style workaround).

> > > http://kingsly.net/mozfull.png - 238KB

For me this is 2.5.7?

> There is no output on both Mozilla and Firebird.

Again, for me this is 2.5.7.
 
> mozilla and tvtime go fullscreen and on top... but in 2.5.8 gkrellm stays on

See the intro of this mail.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:24:38 +0530

> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN state.

This is what I was doing until now... I now added "fvwm2" to the last line of
my .xinitrc and exited fvwm... and a new instance started up.

Now Mozilla/Firebird disappear more frequently than before... and even when
they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

> which puts (ewmh) full screen window at the default top layer.

This helped fix the problems of gkrellm staying on top of other full screened
applications.
[ie., tvtime now runs on Layer 4 in windowed mode, and Layer 6 in full screen.]

But is it really necessary to add that line because everything was working
fine on 2.5.7 even without that extra line. Since this is "expected behavior"
wouldn't it be better if it was turned on by default ?(ie., not having to
turn it on in the config.

Kingsly

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:11:01 +0000

> they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

Neither Olivier nor me may reproduce decorations and disappearing.

Are you sure you run the final 2.5.8 or later and not something else?

Please start FvwmConsole and report what is the FvwmConsole version
you see, then execute this command in FvwmConsole and report what is
the fvwm version you see:

  Exec xterm -e 'echo "$[version.line]"; sleep 30'

Please use "fvwm", not "fvwm2" to start fvwm, and verify your $PATH.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:23:20 +0100

> they do go full screen they still have the border and titlebar. 

Does someone else that is sure to run 2.5.8 and mozilla 1.4 or
a recent Firebird can reproduce this? 
 
> turn it on in the config.

It does not work fine with 2.5.7. For example, with gnome-terminal 2
and others gnome2 apps full screen does not work at all. Also, mozilla
some time disappeared :o/

I do not know what is the "expected behavior" about layer of
fullscreen window. I do not think that there is an expected behavior
at all about layer of windows regarding theirs type. This depends on
the apps and of your general setup. Here, everything is configured so
that every windows has layer 4. For example, when I use mozilla in
fullscreen mode I may want to take a look to my download manager or to
gkrellm. As everything as layer 4 I just have to raise/lower.  There
is also an interesting complaint from a gimp developer and gimp
fullscreen with some wm which use the "expected behavior" (moreover as
it is the/a non configurable wm you cannot "fix" the problem).

I am sure that you can configure fvwm to use layer and get a
functional desktop. Typically, one want to have certain app as the
TaskBar or gkrellm on top. This is fine for me.  However, I do not use
layers because I think that there is a more powerful method which is
conditional auto-raise:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: *
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: PassId
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: enter_window FuncFvwmEnterWindow
*FvwmEvent-AutoRaise: leave_window FuncFvwmLeaveWindow

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmEnterWindow
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmEnterWindow
+ I WindowId $0 (gkrellm) Raise
+ I WindowId $0 (FvwmTaskBar) Raise
+ I WindowId $0 (FvwmPager*) Raise
# ...etc

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmSpecialRaise
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmSpecialRaise
+ I All (gkrellm) Raise
+ I All (FvwmTaskBar) Raise
+ I All (FvwmPager*) Raise
# ...etc

# a key binding for FuncFvwmSpecialRaise

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmLeaveWindow
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmLeaveWindow
# one may want to auto lower certain app (or cancel scheduled
# cmd)

This is just the idea, one may use the schedule cmd to get a delay.

When you have no layer you have your full desktop to work with normal
applications. With conditional autoraise some special apps are easy to
access/view.

This is just the way *I* work with my computer. Again, one can prefer
layers. The good point is that I hope fvwm can be configured to fit
the needs of most users. Also, I think that using a non configurable
wm has some advantage for some users.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:51:12 +0530

> Are you sure you run the final 2.5.8 or later and not something else?

Downloaded the tar.bz2 from the website.

> Please start FvwmConsole and report what is the FvwmConsole version

*FvwmConsole version 2.5.8

>   Exec xterm -e 'echo "$[version.line]"; sleep 30'

xterm: Can't execvp echo "fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Jan  4 2004 at 03:53:03";
sleep 30: No such file or directory

> Please use "fvwm", not "fvwm2" to start fvwm, and verify your $PATH.

fvwm2 is a symlink to fvwm.(created by the fvwm rpm.) and the PATH is okay.

IAC I tried with fvwm... still no change..

I also tried out the latest snapshot... 

*FvwmConsole version 2.5.9 (snap-20040104)

with no change in the issues.

Kingsly

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:04:19 +0530

> and select a full-screen mozilla?

Tried this with the latest snapshot 20040104 ...

Mozilla and Firebird in full screen mode come up under gkrellm .. and there
is no output for the above command...

Kingsly

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:55:35 +0000

> sleep 30: No such file or directory

Indeed, old xterm versions (with XFree86 4.0.x or older) do not support
this -e syntax, but newer xterms support.

Ok, then I have no explanation why your mozilla does not use the EWMH
method of fullscreen, maybe it is built without EWMH support (unlikely).

There is one more speculation. Restarting fvwm (and even X) does not
guarantee that mozilla [server] is killed, so you may still run the old
mozilla that thinks fvwm does not support _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN.
I do not want to suggest reboot, but you may try to kill all mozilla like
browsers listed in "ps" and start them again in fvwm 2.5.8.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:27:20 +0100

> method of fullscreen, maybe it is built without EWMH support (unlikely).

Maybe EWMH support is disabled in fvwm?  What is the output of

 $ fvwm --version

?

Or some or all of the EWMH hints may be disabled in the fvwm
config file.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:34:17 +0530

> this -e syntax, but newer xterms support.

No... the problem is with the quotes... xterm is trying to exec a file named
``  echo "fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Jan  4 2004 at 03:53:03"; sleep 30  ''

I'm on XFree86 4.2 

> method of fullscreen, maybe it is built without EWMH support (unlikely).

I'm using the contrib gtk2 rpms from mozilla.org(1.4) and fedora(firebird)...

Here are the Configure arguments from about:buildconfig 

Firebird:

--with-system-jpeg --with-system-zlib --with-system-png --with-pthreads
--disable-tests --disable-debug --enable-xprint --disable-mailnews
--disable-composer --disable-ldap --disable-jsd --disable-dtd-debug
--with-system-mng --disable-gtktest --disable-freetype2
--disable-freetypetest --disable-installer '--enable-optimize=-O2 -pipe
-march=i386 -mcpu=i686' --enable-crypto --enable-strip --enable-strip-libs
--enable-extensions=default,pref,cookie,wallet,-irc,-venkman --enable-xft
--enable-reorder --enable-mathml --enable-xinerama
--enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 --without-system-nspr 

Mozilla:

-prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-optimize=-O2 --disable-debug
--with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4 --disable-strip-libs
--disable-tests --enable-xinerama --enable-nspr-autoconf
--enable-extensions=default,irc --without-mng --enable-crypto
--disable-xprint --without-system-nspr --with-system-zlib
--enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 --disable-freetype2 --enable-xft
--mandir=/usr/share/man

> browsers listed in "ps" and start them again in fvwm 2.5.8.

Have been doing that throughout "ps ax |grep -i moz" returns only itself!
(You can't start an instance of Mozilla/Firebird if the other is running.. it
opens a new window of the existing browser!)

Kingsly

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:45:06 +0530

> Maybe EWMH support is disabled in fvwm?  What is the output of

fvwm 2.5.9 (snap-20040104) compiled on Jan  5 2004 at 15:38:24
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM, Xinerama,
XRender, XFT, NLS

> Or some or all of the EWMH hints may be disabled in the fvwm

The only ewmh related line in the config file is 

which I had to add now to get tvtime to full-screen on top of all
apps(gkrellm)

And that worked.. so I'm assuming that EWMH support is enabled.

xprop on a fullscreen tvtime window gives...

_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, _NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP

Kingsly

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:50:02 +0100

> _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, _NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP

It looks like EWMH full screen support works fine in fvwm-2.5.9,
but mozilla and firebird do not use it for some reason.  If they
did, fvwm would set the _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN property.  That
explains why you still have borders on the browser windows.

In the past, fvwm did not announce that it supports the
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN protocol, but that is fixed in 2.5.9
(and 2.5.8, I think).

All I have is a wild guess:  maybe mozilla/firebird remember that
the WM does not support _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN and does not try
to use it.  Try to kill all running instances of the browsers,
then move their config directiories and restart them with an
empty config.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:34:45 +0530

> explains why you still have borders on the browser windows.

On 2.5.7 it goes into fullscreen without borders!(Mozilla 1.4 does...
Firebird just disappears)

> then move their config directiories and restart them with an

Just created a new user on the machine.. and launched Mozilla/Firebird as
that user... still face the same issues.

Kingsly

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:17:57 +0000

> ``  echo "fvwm 2.5.8 compiled on Jan  4 2004 at 03:53:03"; sleep 30  ''

xterm from XFree86 4.3 is smart to pass this command to the shell.

> opens a new window of the existing browser!)

What I mean is that it is likely that mozilla has 2 ways to go to
fullscreen, one is for window managers that do not set
_NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN on windows and one for window managers that do.
It is possible, you should quit mozilla completely for it to switch its
way of doing fullscreen.

But since you get the same results with a new user, this does not seem to
be relevant.

If nothing else helps (try to install rpms from mozilla.org), then
use Ctrl-Shift-F11 to fullscreen any window similarly to fvwm-themes:

  DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
  AddToFunc   FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen
  + I ThisWindow (Maximized) WindowStyle Title, Borders
  + I TestRc (!Match) WindowStyle !Title, !Borders
  + I TestRc (!Match) Raise
  + I TestRc (!Match) UpdateStyles
  + I Maximize ewmhiwa

  Key F11  A  SC  Pick FuncFvwmMaximizeFullScreen

Regards,
Mikhael.