Subject: Fullscreen issue?

From: Erik Waling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:21:44 +0100

Hi!

I've been playing around with freevo (freevo.sf.net) and when mplayer
is trying to play in fullscreen (freevo already running in fullscreen),
the screen just goes blank. (tried with different output drivers.. xv,
x11, sdl, etc)

MPlayer alone in fullscreen works just fine. Tried with both the latest
stable and unstable fvwm, also tried with openbox as WM and then it
works just fine. I'm using nvidias drivers. Would appreciate some
help :)

This is what i found in freevo's FAQ:

38 Mplayer only shows a blank screen or there are fullscreen problems

Some windowmangers cause that kind of problems. To avoid it, use Freevo
as windowmanger. Start Freevo with the option -fs and you get a new
X-Window and the problems should be gone.

This may cause troubles with started application because there is no
windowmanager. A different solution is to set MPLAYER_VO_DEV to 'sdl'.
Different SDL applications seem to work with sharing fullscreen.

Sincerly,
  Erik Waling
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:43:50 +0100

> X-Window and the problems should be gone.

Well, either follow their instructions, or bother the freevo
developers until they fix their full screen problems.  "Some
windowmanagers ... cause problems" is a bit too vague to do
anything about it.  Since mplayer's full screen mode just works
fine with any window manager, I don't see why they put the blame
on the window managers.

Okay, you could try the latest beta release (fvwm-2.5.8) which
supports the full screen protocol from the extended window manager
hints spec.  Maybe freevo is assuming that this protocol is
present without checking.

> Different SDL applications seem to work with sharing fullscreen.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^