Subject: Scrolling with overlapped windows weirdness

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:33:41 +0530

I'm not sure if this is fvwm bug or something else but I've been seeing this
happen for a while now... if I scroll a page I'm viewing in Mozilla/Firebird
with a window covering a part of it... the page gets distorted like this ...

http://kingsly.net/buggy.png

You can see the normal view here... 

http://kingsly.net/normal.png

When I move the mouse over to any other window(ie., focus shifts).. the
corruption/distortion disappears! 

I'm using fvwm 2.5.7 and XFree 4.2 w/ NVIDIA drivers.(have seen this happen
on plenty of versions of mozilla(upto 1.4) and Firebird 0.61 and older
versions of fvwm 2.5.x too.)

If a part of the window is outside one edge of the screen ... the corruption
extends to the entire page as seen here - http://kingsly.net/edge-bug.png

Kingsly

-- 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:27:57 +0200

> corruption/distortion disappears! 

Looks like a broken gfx driver.  Very similar to the effect I see
with the GeForce 4 MX and the latest vendor driver.

> I'm using fvwm 2.5.7 and XFree 4.2 w/ NVIDIA drivers.

Aha!  That explains everything.  The NVIDIA drivers are notorious
for their low quality, especially with very new (and very old)
cards.  Can't you use the nv driver that comes with XFree?  You
may need to upgrade to XFree 4.3.

>(have seen this happen

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^