Subject: How to create fvwm deb packages from fvwm sources

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:16:16 +0000

Anyone with deb tools installed may now create deb packages by issuing:

  make deb-dist

This creates dist from fvwm sources (cvs) and then creates deb package
from this tarball. If you already have the tarball (downloaded the
official tar.gz release or produced it using "make dist"), then it is
possible to skip the dist stage and issue:

  make deb-this

Some arguments like cparams, mparams, release=1, version=2.5.10 may be
passed to make (see Makefile.am for examples). It makes sense to specify
a non current version=x.y.z for "deb-this" only, not for "deb-dist".

This all is fully analogous to "make rpm-dist" and "make rpm-this".

Additionally it is possible to build directly in sources/cvs using:

  make deb-inplace

with the same optional parameters. This is a bit faster, but not as
advisable as "make deb-dist".

To test all this, I executed the following two make-s concurently on the
same cvs tree on my RedHat system:

  wget ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-2/fvwm-2.3.22.tar.gz
  make deb-this version=2.3.22 release=2 fullname="Mikhael Goikhman"

  make deb-dist

And believe me or not but proper deb packages for both 2.3.22 and 2.5.8
were created.

I will take care of releasing deb packages together with rpm packages on
new releases. Thanks to Andrei Mitrofanow who is ready to build the deb
packages. (On Debian system of course.)

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]