Subject: Java bug 4401846 closed

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:35:21 -0400

I just got notice that Java bug 4401846 is closed.

This is the bug with Java window placement.

You can read the commentary at:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4401846.html

If I understand what they are saying, the fix will be in Java 1.5
and its solved this way:

AWT already can deal with both WM behaviors but need a way to detect
if the running WM implements strict ICCCM behavior or StaticGravity
behavior.

AWT already tries to detect some of the WMs that are known to
implement the StaticGravity behavior, but this approach doesn't scale
well.  Unfortunately there's no standardized (neither de-jure, nor
de-facto) way to detect at run time which behavior the window manager
implements.

We propose to introduce an environment variable
_JAVA_AWT_WM_STATIC_GRAVITY that a user can set to indicate that his
window manager implements StaticGravity behavior.

This will be available in J2SE 1.5.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]