Subject: web page rendering time

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:25:44 +0200

I just noticed something odd (Mozilla 1.4, Linux).  I started
mozilla, loaded the fvwm home page and switched to another page
before anything was displayed.  When I finally came back to the
browser page, I could watch as the frame on the internal window
was drawn bit by bit.  That took about one second.  Is this
because of the web pages or because the rendering engine is too
slow?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:00:01 +0200

Hi there,

On 11 Aug 2003 at 08:25:44 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> I just noticed something odd (Mozilla 1.4, Linux).  I
> started mozilla, loaded the fvwm home page and switched to
> another page before anything was displayed.  When I
> finally came back to the browser page, I could watch as
> the frame on the internal window was drawn bit by bit.
> That took about one second.  Is this because of the web
> pages or because the rendering engine is too slow?

I tried that with mozilla 1.4 but could  not  reproduce  it.
Maybe  it  is because I started mozilla on a remote maschine
and redirected  X.  Did  you  start  mozilla  on  the  local
machine? 
Generally this may caused by a number of reasons. What  kind
of  internet  connection  was it? If it was a telephone line
the decoration pics should be loaded as last  so  you  might
have watched it. Maybe the RAM was full and parts of mozilla
were put to the swap - I can often see this at  may  machine
at work were RAM is always full ;-)

I don't think that it is  caused  by  the  rendering  engine
neither  by  the  page design (that much). The actual design
has been optimized so that rendering  should  a  bit  faster
than  the  first design or the birthday theme. I sit here on
an about 300 MHz Sun Solaris  with  192  MB  RAM  -  mozilla
displays the page quite fast and nicely. 

Regards, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:29:45 +0200

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:00:01AM +0200, Uwe Pross wrote:
> and redirected  X.

> Did  you  start  mozilla  on  the  local machine? 

Yes.

> of  internet  connection  was it?

The fastest possible (I work for an ISP) :-)

> If it was a telephone line the decoration pics should be loaded
> as last  so  you  might have watched it.

The page had been loaded for several minutes before I viewed it.

> Maybe the RAM was full and parts of mozilla were put to the swap

Definitely not.  Even now the machine does not even use half of
its RAM.

> - I can often see this at  may  machine at work were RAM is
> always full ;-)

> displays the page quite fast and nicely. 

Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB RAM (318 MB free).  I can reproduce
the effect at will:

  - start mozilla (on page 0 1)
  - use a bookmark to load http://fvwm.org/
  - switch to page 0 0 immediately
  - wait until the page has loaded
  - switch back to page 0 1

  => Rendering the pager and window borders takes about 1.5
     seconds.  Everything else is visible almost immediately.

  Note that it's only slow the first time the page is displayed.
  Switching between pages later is as fast as expected.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:04:55 +0200

Hi there,

>   - wait until the page has loaded

How do you know that it is loaded fully? ;-)

>   Switching between pages later is as fast as expected.

Using Firebird (mozilla engine) on my local box I could
reproduce it randomly a couple of times. I could not see the
problem when I used a remote started mozilla. It seems to me
that mozilla detects in some way that it is not visible -
maybe X notifies it. Could it be that this mechanism does
not work it the display is redirected? 

Regards, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:08:39 +0200

> How do you know that it is loaded fully? ;-)

By waiting several minutes :-)  A couple of weeks ago, when I
first brought up the load times of the web page, I though the
delay was cause by the long load times.  But since I can be fairly
sure the whole page has been loaded by the time I view it, it
must be a problem with rendering, not loading.

> maybe X notifies it.

Sure.  If the mozilla window is not visible, it does not render
anything.  

> Could it be that this mechanism does not work it the display is
> redirected? 

No.  It's just an X Event.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^