Subject: Problems with the new detection of IOCCC/Traditional move method

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 23:28:43 +0300

Here I demonstrate some bad problems with the current move/placement
methods. I use TiledCascadePlacement, but this should not matter here.
I know that xv was always problematic, but I see this with some other
programs too. (And there were good workarounds for xv previously.)

1) Run:

  xv -geo 1500x1500 pictures/fvwm-logo-steelblue.gif

Part of the image is out of the screen, because the title is fully
visible, previously the image was fully visible and the title was
out of the screen. Additionally, click right mouse and double click
the file name, the window walks to the right (can't go down here).

Press "n" several times to see it walking right-down.

2) Run:

  xv -nol huge-image.gif small-image.gif

If you don't have any huge image, you may for example run first
"xv -geo 1500x1500 small-image.gif" and save it to huge-image.gif.
Click right mouse and double click the second (small) image for several
times, it walks right and down.

3) Run (like the previous, but reversed image order):

  xv -nol small-image.gif huge-image.gif

Now the window itself is ok (behaves like previously, try to double click
both file names to see it), but if you invoke any of the 7 windows from
the "Windows" submenu, they are placed partially out of the screen (the
offset of decorations).

Also try to maximize the small image and then switch to the huge one,
the maximized image is moved left-up.

Today I even experienced this strange problem with xv: just pressing the
window title (that invokes "+ H Move") caused the window to walk, but
unpressing returns the window to the original position. I currently
can't provide instructions for reproduction.

4) Run display from ImageMagick:

  display

Then press right mouse and choose "Image Info", this window is placed
partially out of the screen.

Any comments or fixes?

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:44:57 +0200

> Press "n" several times to see it walking right-down.

Note first that I have not xv on my machine (xv has disappeared from
some distributions as Redhat and Mandrake). You should try:

  Style "match_xv" MoveByProgramMethod IgnoreGravity
or
  Style "match_xv" MoveByProgramMethod UseGravity

However, maybe the ICCCM/Traditional move method can be improved: Do
not make any conclusion for window which are larger than the screen.
 
> [snip]

It does not seems that this is related to the new ICCCM/Traditional
move stuff. For me this depends on the position of the main display
window (if it is at top left then the transient image info pop up on
my screen).  I think it is a Transient Windows placement problem (or
miss-feature).

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:40:55 +0300

On 10 Aug 2003 14:44:57 +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> some distributions as Redhat and Mandrake).

Any of these should work:

  http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=xv&arch=i386

> You should try:

I know that I (and everyone else) should use IgnoreGravity for xv,
otherwise it walks, but I thought the autodetection may be improved.
I agree with your remark about large windows.

It seems that the placement of the 7 xv tool windows was always
problematic (just checked 2.2 and 2.4, for some reason I thought these
windows were fully on the screen previously, but they were not).

> my screen).  I think it is a Transient Windows placement problem (or

After more experiments, yes, display does not try to place its transient
aligned to some screen border as I originally thought, these were just
coincidences in my test cases. The same happens with any 2.x version.

Regards,
Mikhael.