Subject: Unicode and sorting

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:55:00 +0200 (CEST)

After the "diving tours" into all of these combining characters and stuff,
something hit me: how is string comparison (for sorting) done in Fvwm?
Do we use strcasecmp or strcoll, if avaialble.
I did some "experiments" using ls and different locales. I also looked at
some discussion lists.

It seems to me strcasecmp is simply something like "return tolower(c1) >
tolower(c2)" whereas strcoll is more locale-aware.

But still strcoll (at least the one in glibc) doesn't handle combining
characters at all.

There is also an interering report at Unicode.org:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

I'm not sure if this should be implented in Fvwm, or if contacting glibc
developers is the way to go...

I will be away for the next week approximatly, will perhaps be able to
read mail sporadically.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]