Subject: Re: Some autoconf requests

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:38:55 +0200

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:47:12PM +0200, Grzegorz Nieweglowski wrote:
> Hi. I've noticed something concerning the fvwm ./configure and install
> scripts - they seem to make an assumption that everyone uses/wishes to
> use gtk+ and perl. And maybe Gnome, I don't know (no gnome-libs on my
> system and not much difference between gtk+ and gnome)
> 
> Anyhow, me favorite bugs:
> 
> a. there is no way to turn off gtk+ support in fvwm. I think something
> like --without-gtk would do nice. Currently I'm using a workaround
> '--with-gtk-prefix=/dev/null', but it isn't very nice. I have gtk+, but
> don't need it in fvwm. If gtk+ is optional, then there should be a way
> to turn it off, even if gtk+ is available.

The CVS version now has --disable-gtk.

> b. even if I manage to fool the ./configure script into not compiling
> FvwmGtk, FvwmGtkDebug will be build (and installed). I think those two
> (FvwmGtk and FvwmGtkDebug) should be bundled - without FvwmGtk the
> FvwmGtkDebug is pretty much useless...

Done.

> c. same goes for Perl. I don't wish to use FvwmPerl, but the
> --disable-perllib switch works only partially - sure, the perl bindings
> won't be included, but scripts depending on them _will_ be installed,
> ignoring --disable-perllib. Hey, even the FvwmPerl module will be
> installed.  I think the --disable-perllib should be "stronger" (disable
> the installation of scripts/modules that need the fvwm perl bindings,
> like FvwmDebug or FvwmWindowMenu).
> Maybe renaming it to "--disable-perl" would also be more appropriate.

I leave that for Mikhael to do.

> d. installation of man pages. Should be bundled with the installation of
> appropriate modules, but this isn't the case, at least now. Even if my
> fvwm was build without FvwmGtk, the FvwmGtk man page is ever-present.
> I think including man pages for modules that weren't build is a mistake.

Done.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:34:00 +0000

I planned to reply this message, but didn't have a time yet (since it
requires some good thinking first).

> > FvwmGtkDebug is pretty much useless...

Well, FvwmGtk and FvwmGtkDebug are different stories.

There is actually nothing bad with FvwmGtkDebug installed. It is just a
perl script. It does not require GTK+ in the installation time, only in
the running time (and only indirrectly using Gtk perl package). So one
may install fvwm and then Gtk-Perl in this order and FvwmGtkDebug will
work. This can't be said about FvwmGtk.

> I leave that for Mikhael to do.

The same reason here. There is nothing bad in installing FvwmWindowMenu.
It is just a perl script. So one may install fvwm and then perl in this
order and FvwmWindowMenu module will work.

We don't have 30 options for installing our 30 modules.

> > I think including man pages for modules that weren't build is a mistake.

I am not sure having the same man pages installed on all user systems is
a mistake, but I have no strong preference here.

Regards,
Mikhael.