Subject: Re: FvwmTabs v1.8

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:51:04 +1000

Hi David,

> Finally i have a Dillo with tabs :)  Looks nice. 

hehe! I like Dillo too.

> Is it possible to change the Font?

Sure, I'll make sure there's a config option in the next release.

>  And a small bug: it crashes when
> you try to add itself as a tab.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I thought I guard against this. Certainly if
I create a tabber & try to add it to itself it reports a:

"Can't add self to tabber!"

warning on stdout!

Could you elaborate on what you did to trigger this bug? I can't
seem to replicate.

Thanks,

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: David Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:25:57 +0200

> > Finally i have a Dillo with tabs :)  Looks nice. 

With Dillo you can observe a behaviour that i don't like:

When you open in one tab an URL with a long <title> the button, the
FvwmTabs window and (only) the current Dillo window gets resized.

Maybe the size of the buttons should work similiar to mozilla (all
fixed size, when no more space is available all buttons shrink as
needed).

> "Can't add self to tabber!"

I get this too, but only sometime ;-)

> Could you elaborate on what you did to trigger this bug? I can't

It seems to appear randomly, to increase the chance it happens try
this:

  - Open a FvwmTabs Window, Close it 
  - Open another FvwmTabs Window
  - choose "Multi Add", insert some normal windows and then try to add
    itself.

Here is some output: 

first lots of

Tk::Error: Protocol error: bad 3 (Window); Sequence Number 272
 Opcode (42, 0) = SetInputFocus
 Bad resource 54525966 (0x340000e)
 at /home/dhansen/libexec/fvwm/2.5.8//FvwmTabs line 398
 Tk::After::repeat at /usr/lib/perl5/Tk/After.pm line 73
 [repeat,[{},after#206,250,repeat,[\&main::callback]]]
 ("after" script)
Tk::Error: Protocol error: bad 3 (Window); Sequence Number 273
 Opcode (42, 0) = SetInputFocus
 Bad resource 54525966 (0x340000e)
 at /home/dhansen/libexec/fvwm/2.5.8//FvwmTabs line 398
 Tk::After::repeat at /usr/lib/perl5/Tk/After.pm line 73
 [repeat,[{},after#207,250,repeat,[\&main::callback]]]
 ("after" script)

but they dont seems to be related to the crash. And then:

Protocol error: bad 8 (Match); Sequence Number 307
 Opcode (7, 0) = ReparentWindow
 at /home/dhansen/libexec/fvwm/2.5.8//FvwmTabs line 565
FvwmTabs: Got ON_EXIT event.
        (in cleanup) Can't call method "debug" on an undefined value
at /home/dh
ansen/libexec/fvwm/2.5.8//FvwmTabs line 250 during global destruction.

Another one: When i close the FvwmTabs Window with n xterms in it,
it may happen that it releases only n-1 and crashes, from stdout:

Protocol error: bad 3 (Window); Sequence Number 170
 Opcode (12, 0) = ConfigureWindow
 Bad resource 77594639 (0x4a0000f)
 at /home/dhansen/libexec/fvwm/2.5.8//FvwmTabs line 565
FvwmTabs: Got ON_EXIT event.

Maybe thats interesting to, i get some warnings on startup:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0/X11/Auth.pm line 97.
Argument "XCMiscGetVersion" isn't numeric in int at
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0/X11/Protocol.pm line 2018.
Module FvwmTabs started.

I hope this will help you, 

David

[dhansen@robotron:~]$ fvwm --version
fvwm 2.5.8 (from cvs) compiled on Jun 10 2003 at 03:33:46
with support for: ReadLine, Stroke, XPM, PNG, Shape, XShm, SM,
XRender, XFT

---

From: SCoTT SMeDLeY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:53:26 +1000

Hi David,

: Maybe the size of the buttons should work similiar to mozilla (all
: fixed size, when no more space is available all buttons shrink as
: needed).

Agreed. I'll put it on my TODO list.

: > >  And a small bug: it crashes when
: > > you try to add itself as a tab.

Hmmmm, this is a symptom of a focusing bug. I was looking at it
last night & damn its proving elusive to fix. It's on my TODO list
anyway. Thanks for the extra info.

SCoTT. :)
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: SCoTT SMeDLeY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:58:05 +1000

Hi Xavier,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:59:06PM -0400, xavier renaut wrote:
: Hi, i just discovered your program,
: i find it wonderful ! (even without testing :-))
: 
: Is it possible to make it work with 2.4.15 ?
: (i don't mind having a separate config file)

The perllib interface (upon which FvwmTabs is built) is rather new, so
it's only available in the 2.5.x series. To make FvwmTabs work in the
2.4.x series would involve back-porting most of perllib to 2.4.x. I think
this would be a bit premature at this stage as perllib is a work in
progress. (ie. there are still sections of unimplemented code.) Perhaps
Mikhael can comment?

I'm not sure what your reasons are for sticking with 2.4.x releases. If
you're worried about stability - don't be, 2.5.x is quite stable.

SCoTT. :)

---

From: xavier renaut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:06:02 -0400

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:58:05AM +1000, SCoTT SMeDLeY wrote:
|Hi Xavier,
|
|On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:59:06PM -0400, xavier renaut wrote:
|: Hi, i just discovered your program,
|: i find it wonderful ! (even without testing :-))
|: 
|: Is it possible to make it work with 2.4.15 ?
|: (i don't mind having a separate config file)
|
|The perllib interface (upon which FvwmTabs is built) is rather new, so
|it's only available in the 2.5.x series. To make FvwmTabs work in the
|2.4.x series would involve back-porting most of perllib to 2.4.x.

don't bother.

| I think this would be a bit premature at this stage as perllib is a work in
|progress. (ie. there are still sections of unimplemented code.) Perhaps
|Mikhael can comment?
|
|I'm not sure what your reasons are for sticking with 2.4.x releases. If
|you're worried about stability - don't be, 2.5.x is quite stable.

just because i wanted to use packages. (running debian here.)

well, thanks for your answer, continue on the good work,
and don't waste energy on backporting !

i'll just use the source.

thanks again,

bye

xavier renaut, 514 906 1212 x226