Subject: ModuleConfig.pm

From: Scott Smedley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:16:04 +1000

Hi Mikhael,

I tried out your ModuleConfig tracker with FvwmTabs - it works great.

Should I expect to get an 'observation' if I dynamically change
config parameters? (using FvwmTalk or FvwmCommand) The dynamic values
are only propogated after I restart FvwmTabs.

Also, you need to s/InitialConfig/DefaultConfig/ in the perl POD
at the bottom of ModuleConfig.pm.

Thanks!

SCoTT. :)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:34:20 +0000

> are only propogated after I restart FvwmTabs.

There were some problems that are fixed now.

I was stuck on one impossible problem. The ModuleConfig tracker in
FvwmDebug persistently did not want to report the dynamical module
configuration while it reported the statical configuration fine and the
same code placed into FvwmGtkDebug did work. It turned out that when the
module is started as:

  FvwmDebug -t ModuleConfig

fvwm thinks that "ModuleConfig" is an alias name and does not pass any
"*FvwmDebug: config value" while the module is run. Bad, I myself added
these heuristics. So be aware of this in your modules. The work around
here (at least for perl-based modules) is to start it differently:

  FvwmDebug --track=ModuleConfig

The good side, I improved several things while debugging this unexisting
problem. Also be aware that your module should be in ModulePath for
configuration to work at all. I think nothing may be done here until we
replace the module protocol to support module name/alias directly.

Please try new Colorsets tracker. Making the colorset fg/bg work is not
interesting. It would be nice if you can make colorset pixmaps work using
Perl/Tk or X11::Protocol. Maybe you can create a Tk window that shows all
available colorsets using rectangle of 48x48 and some text in it (like
colorset number in brackets). I am waiting for your experiments. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.