Subject: Birthday announcement draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:46:47 +0200

(Announcement at end of message)

Mikhael, you mentioned some info on fvwm's history on the sf site.
Can this be merged into the home page before Sunday?  If it's not
ready yet, can someone prepare a dummy page?  In that case I will
try to put up the text before Sunday (but no promises).

What is the status of the page with the pictures of developers and
users?

Who will take care of updating the News Flash section on the home
page with links to the various birthday related sub pages?

Who will take care of distributing the announcement message to the
various places?

--

DRAFT

          Fvwm - A Window Manager's Tenth Birthday
          ----------------------------------------

On the 1st of June, 1993, the first version of fvwm, venerable
grandfather of many other window managers, first saw the light of
day.  Robert Nation, the original author, bundled the initial
release with rxvt, his still widely used terminal program.  After
all these years, fvwm still stands strong.

We, the developers of fvwm, would like to invite you to the fvwm
birthday party on Sunday, 1st of June, 2003:

 * Visit the brand new fvwm home page at http://fvwm.org.  The
   special birthday layout will be available only for a couple of
   days.

 * Learn more about fvwm's history and its authors and users.

 * Fvwm needs a new, shiny logo.  Participate in the fvwm logo
   competition.  The best logo wins 100 Euro.

 * Chat with developers and users via IRC on

     #fvwm on freenode (English channel)
     +fvwm.de on IRCnet (German channel)

 * Send your congratulations to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please visit the fvwm home page for further details:

  http://fvwm.org

--

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:19:53 +0200

Hi there,

> try to put up the text before Sunday (but no promises).

Have a look at the web page. Maybe you want to put is below
the pictures. If not you can copy the file
birthday/index.php to say birthday/history.php and use this
as dummy page.

> What is the status of the page with the pictures of developers and

All pictures are on the site now.

> page with links to the various birthday related sub pages?

Done.

Cheers, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,  Uwe Pross
 (O,O) mailto:[email-masked]
 (   ) http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
=-"-"-================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:04:37 +0200

> > page with links to the various birthday related sub pages?

Okay.  We still need to add a navigation help for the birthday.  I
have something like this in mind:

  ...

  FVWM BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

  -------------------------

  On the 1st of June, 1993, the first version of fvwm, venerable
  grandfather of many other window managers, first saw the light
  of day.  Robert Nation, the original author, bundled the initial           
  release with rxvt, his still widely used terminal program.
  After all these years, fvwm still stands strong.

  Join the fvwm birthday party!

      If you are or have been a user of fvwm, please tell us when
      you first used fvwm, how long you have been using it and
      whether you are still using it.

    * Learn more about fvwm's history <link to history page> and its
      authors and users <link to page with photographs>.

    * Fvwm needs a new, shiny logo.  Participate in the fvwm logo
      competition or check out the contributed logos <link to logo
      competition page>.  The best logo wins 100 Euro.

       English channel: #fvwm on freenode
          See http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml for a list of
          freenode servers.

       German channel:  +fvwm.de on IRCnet
          See http://[email-masked]/all_servers/ for
          a list of IRCnet servers.

       A good time to visit the channels is between 16:00 and
       22:00 Grennwich Mean Time

  -------------------------

  Quick jumps

  ...

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:07:14 +0200

>       authors and users <link to page with photographs>.

Read:

    * Learn more about fvwm's history <link to history page> and its
      authors and users <link to page with photographs> and their
      pets ^_^ <link to cats page>.

:-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:11:52 +0200

Hi there,

>   FVWM BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

Where do you want to put it? On the birthday site or on the
home page?

Do you want to keep the developers pictures permanently? In
that case I would move it to the authors directory.

Cheers, Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:20:00 +0200

> Where do you want to put it? On the birthday site or on the

I thought the birthday layout would replace the normal layout for
a couple of days.

> that case I would move it to the authors directory.

Permanently.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:14:21 +0200

Hi there,

> I thought the birthday layout would replace the normal layout for

Have a look at 
     http://www.fvwm.org?theme=birthday
We may set is as default for the whole June.

But where do you want to put the statement you wrote?

> > that case I would move it to the authors directory.

I'll change that soon.

Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:19:26 +0200

> But where do you want to put the statement you wrote?

I'd say between the "FVWM BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION" logo and the "Quick
Jumps".  The page may become too cluttered - I open for better
suggestions.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:18:21 +0200

Hi there,

> We may set is as default for the whole June.

Wait for a couple of minutes until the page is updated to
see the new layout (containing a horizontal pager).

Uwe

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:24:48 +0200

> see the new layout (containing a horizontal pager).

Uh, my eyes! ;-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:27:02 +0200

Can we do something about the "orange text on bright blue
background"?  It's too hard to read because the text is too
bright.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:47:02 +0200

Hi there,

> > see the new layout (containing a horizontal pager).

Yeah I know - Was just a try ;-)

I reduced colors dramatically:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp/fvwm-web/contact/index.php?theme=birthday

If this is still not that good I make this theme
customizeable (which is not much work but I would like if
the birthday colors are fixed) and leave the color
selection to someone else.

Uwe

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:13:27 +0200

>       pets ^_^ <link to cats page>.

About fvwm history I've just write down something in french (for
linuxfr).  I may translate it if no one want to write something and
someone want to correct it (english + whatever).

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:48:38 +0200

>   FVWM BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

What about adding (if 2.5.7 is up)

      * Help the developers to stabilize the 2.5.x developement series
        by testing fvwm-2.5.7 and report bugs.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:26:13 +0200

> someone want to correct it (english + whatever).

In fact I will be unable to translate this text in a good way. Here the
text I wrote in french (still one spelling needed).

Un peu d'histoire. Comme dit précédemment la première version
(probablement la version 0.5) de FVWM est sortie avec une version de
rxvt le 1er juin 1993.  La version 1.0 est sortie à la fin de cette
même année comme un logiciel indépendant. La première motivation de
Robert Nation était d'avoir un gestionnaire de fenêtres plus léger que
twm pour son portable avec un CPU à 33 MHZ et 4 MB de RAM. De nos
jours, FVWM signifie F? Virtual Window Manager, libre à chacun de
remplacer le ? (Feline est particulièrement à la mode à l'heure
actuelle). En fait, à l'origine le F signifiait "Feeble" (faible).
Mais rapidement, ce prénom est devenu inapproprié et un mystère autour
du F a été volontairement instauré (voir la question 1.1 de la FAQ de
FVWM).

En août 1995 Rob a abandonné FVWM et Charles Hines a repris la flamme
jusqu'au mois de mai 1998. Puis Brady Montz a repris FVWM pour quelques
mois.  Durant cette période le rôle du mainteneur était principalement
d'appliquer les patches envoyés par les utilisateurs et développeurs
et de réaliser de nouvelles versions.  Il était le seul à avoir accès
au code et durant certaines périodes il n'avait pas toujours le temps
nécessaire.  On peut dire que mi 1998 le developpement de FVWM était
presque mort.

Mais en octobre 1998 sous l'impulsion de quelques personnes (en
particulier Dominik Vogt qui est toujours le mainteneur actuel) FVWM a
changé de mode de devellopement en passant à la méthode du
bazar. Plusieurs développeurs ont eux accès au code via un arbre CVS
(administré par Jason Tibbitts). Le développement n'a jamais été aussi
actif depuis ce changement même si cela a parfois posé quelques
problèmes d'organisation.  Ceci à conduit à la version 2.2.0 en
février 1999. En plus de Dominik Vogt, on peut cité Johan Bengtsson,
Matthias Clasen, Dan Espen, Michael Han, Tomas Ogren, Tim Phipps,
Chris Rankin, Steve Robbins, Paul Smith, Andrew Veliath et Bob
Woodside. Par la suite, certains développeurs sont devenus moins
actifs ou ont abandonnés et d'autres sont apparus. Olivier Chapuis
(moi-même), Brad Giaccio et Mikhael Goikhman durant le developpemnt de
la version 2.4.0 sortie le 3 juillet 2001.  Suzanne Britton, Marcus
Lundblad, Uwe Pross et Jason Weber durant le développemnt de la future
version 2.6.0 prévu pour septembre. Ceci pour citer seulement ceux
ayant un accès directe au code, mais FVWM ne serait pas ce qu'il est
sans les centaines de personnes ayant envoyées des patches (plus de
130 personnes dans le fichier AUTHORS) et les milliers de personnes
qui ont participé ou participe aux listes de discussions de FVWM.

La dernière version stable est la 2.4.16.  La version de développment
est la 2.5.7. Elles sont soties le 31 mai 2003 a l'ocasion du 10ème
annivairsaire de FVWM.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:50:55 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 03:26:13PM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> [snip]

The next paragraph seems not so correct
 
> nécessaire.  On peut dire que mi 1998 le developpement de FVWM était

This one is better:

La dernière version de la série 1.x est la 1.24r qui est sortie le 5
décembre 1994 (cette version est toujours utilisé par certains ...).
En août 1995 Rob abandonnât FVWM avec pour dernière version la 2.0.33
(la série 2.0.x a toujours été considérée comme des pre-versions) et
Charles Hines reprit la flamme jusqu'au mois de mai 1998.  Mais il eu
de moins en moins de temps pour s'occuper de FVWM et la dernière
version que Charles réalisât fut la 2.0.46 le 20 août 1977.  Brady
Montz reprit FVWM pour quelques mois en 1998 mais on peut dire qu'en
1998 FVWM était un projet mort en ce qui concerne le développement.

Regards, Olivier