Subject: Support for combining characters

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:05:19 +0200 (CEST)

I implemented a first basic version of combining characters.
What it does is "compress" sequences of characters to the
"canonical" pre-composed form.

Additionally a fix for "superimposing" needs to be added.
Ie. combining characters that could not be composed into a pre-composed
form should be drawn superimposed.

Olivier, could you assist me a bit on this?
If I extend my function that does composing to fill in an array mapping
character position in the in-string to their visual position.

For example, let's say there is "o" + "some obscure composing char" + "a",
where there is no pre-composed form for an "o" with "some obscure
composing char", it would give an array: [0,0,1]
That is the first 2 characters should get drawn in first "square", the
last in the second square.

What could perhaps be tricky is to handle BIDI. The mapping array must be
rearranged as characters are reorganised by the BIDI algorithm.

I hope my code is not crashing on anyone. Please test it.
I have tested it, and it seems to work. But maybe I missed something
critical.

Also Nadim, could you test this with Arabic combining characters?

//Marcus 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]