Subject: Re: todo-2.6, item D.1?

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:08:18 +0200

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:12:14PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
> D.1 Make the distinction between FVWM (project) and fvwm (core executable)?
> 
> What does that mean and how does it affect the release?
>

FVWM = F? Virtual Window Manger
fvwm = the FVWM window manager

FVWM is an acronym as CDE, GNOME, ...etc., it should be written with
(small) caps. It represents the all project (as CDE, GNOME,
...etc). FVWM is not a window manger it is much more (a pager, some
taskbars, some GUI builders, some utilities, ..etc.)
Basically it seems to me that FVWM is a lightweight X Desktop.

At the present time the distinction is not made in the documentation.
If we want to make the distinction we should re-read the all
documentation and replace each occurrence of fvwm (and of the ugly
Fvwm) by either fvwm or FVWM depending on the context. Of course, the
main problem is that fvwm.1 is the man page for both fvwm and FVWM.
Maybe we should rename fvwm to fvwm-wm :o/

Also we may want to write a small man page FVWM.1 with a small
introduction and the list of all the others FVWM man page and docs
with a small description (and noting that the general FVWM doc can be
found in fvwm.1). We can also add docs/COMMANDS to this man page.

Regards, Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]