Subject: New website comments

From: Nadim Shaikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

A couple of quick comments on the new PHP website (I like it btw).
I use emacs and w3m to surf the web (who needs those graphic things
anyways :-) and would like to suggest the following,

 1. Detect if a user is using emacs/w3m and divert him/her to the
    "layout=plain" pages.

 2. Remove all buttons from the "layout=plain" page (ie. the [item_dot]).
    - All current links within main page's "Quick Jumps" are
      proceeded by these blue'ish/pink'ish buttons
    - Having the logo and a couple of images is cool, but
      sprinkling things all over seems like it would be
      counter to the "plain" idea.

 3. All screenshots/decor/menu samples should only be included if and
    only if there are sample files one can download to see how that is
    accomplished.  Case in point, there are some cool screenshots, but
    no .fvwm2rc file to accompany them -- kinda seems useless to me to
    even include that screenshot in the first place.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,

 - Nadim

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:17:22 +0000

>  1. Detect if a user is using emacs/w3m and divert him/her to the

Once cookies are used (planned), you will just set plain layout and it
will be used for all pages in all your visits.

>       proceeded by these blue'ish/pink'ish buttons

Seems like another browser ignoring alt="", I will use alt="*".

>       counter to the "plain" idea.

Just tried w3m in xterm. It is weird, I see graphics in xterm (from
XFree86-4.3.0). I mean it is very cool to see graphics in xterm.

After the small change above, the plain layout in w3m looks perfect,
so I am not sure what "sprinkling things all over" mean.

>     even include that screenshot in the first place.

Some configs require several megabytes of images (maybe dozens of
images). Some configs rely on custom scripts. Some configs are platform
dependant. It is not plug and play (unless it is fvwm-themes :) ).

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Nadim Shaikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:15:39 -0700 (PDT)

> will be used for all pages in all your visits.

emacs/w3m doesn't use cookies (I'll have to check), but a redirect is
not an option based on a user's browser - ie. that's not doable ?

> Seems like another browser ignoring alt="", I will use alt="*".

Ah, cool those pesky "[item_dot]" are gone - wonderful :-)

> so I am not sure what "sprinkling things all over" mean.

I meant those iterm_dot shouldn't really be there in the "plain" page
(thanks for removing them).  Try to run w3m under emacs (not xemacs) --
you'll need 'emacs-w3m-1.3.3'

> dependant. It is not plug and play (unless it is fvwm-themes :) ).

It would still be nice to have this info somewhere - how about hosting
those setup files on sf.net or on the person submitting the screenshot's
host.  In short, a nice screenshot with no info will simply generate more
questions than it will answer (it would be best to relay questions and
inquires somewhere more relevant, no?)

Thanks

 - Nadim

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:21:04 +0000

> not an option based on a user's browser - ie. that's not doable ?

If lynx and links support cookies, what not.

If we have many layouts (and not 2 like now) how may we know which one is
preferred by a user? The default layout should work on any browser. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:04:19 -0400

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote Nadim Shaikli thusly...
>
> emacs/w3m doesn't use cookies (I'll have to check)

w3m 0.4.1 does; i seem to have an impression that at least last one
or two eralier versions did too.

  - parv

--

---

From: Uwe Pross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:26:50 +0200

Hi there,

On 24 Apr 2003 at 22:21:04 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> If we have many layouts (and not 2 like now) how may we
> know which one is preferred by a user? The default layout
> should work on any browser. :)

I had a try with emacs this morning. The site was not
viewable at all with this browser. It may be a bug in this
browser but I don't like if this page is not viewable.

I have set the default layout to plain if the user agent
contains "Emacs" or "Lynx". Currently this settings can be
overridden with GET variables - cookies or others will
follow ;-).

Doing a request on fvwm.org should look good with lynx and
emacs now. 

Regards, Uwe
-- 
  ,_,  Uwe Pross
 (O,O) mailto:[email-masked]
 (   ) http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~uwp
=-"-"-================================
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]