Subject: FwmIdent errors

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:13:09 -0400

Hi --

	Using the almost current CVS (I last updated sometime yesterday
afternoon), I find that FvwmIdent consistently fails. The following
error is logged:

X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or 
  Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  55 (X_CreateGC)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x616d093a
  Serial number of failed request:  39
  Current serial number in output stream:  45

	The resource id is always the same no matter which window I click on.
Also, the cursor remains in "select window" crosshair mode until after I
click 2 more times, then it reverts to normal. The result is the same
whether I invoke Ident from a regular menu or a menu bound to a window
decoration.

Cheers,
Bob

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:52:48 +0200

> whether I invoke Ident from a regular menu or a menu bound to a window

I've installed an X error handler to FvwmIdent. Now FvwmIdent should
core dump, the gdb output may help us to determine if this error is
acceptable or not. I guess that if you remove the #if 0 code of
FvwmIdent.c (ErrorHandler) FvwmIdent should work again.

I cannot reproduce your problem. What is your FvwmIdent config?

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:37:34 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:52:48 +0200

> I cannot reproduce your problem. What is your FvwmIdent config?

	Wow! I didn't even think about its config, since there's not that much
to config. It turns out that I did have some config lines left over from
antiquity, lurking in one of the files (my .fvwm2rc is nothing but a
series of Reads of subordinate files): they set the Back and Fore colors
in the old-fashioned way, e,g.,

*FvwmIdent: Back MidnightBlue
*FvwmIdent: Fore Yellow

If either of these lines is present, the problem occurs. With neither of
them, all is well.

	Needless to say, I switched to using a Colorset immediately (which
works fine, of course).

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:48:54 -0400

> 	Needless to say, I switched to using a Colorset immediately (which

I run FvwmIdent with:

*FvwmIdent: Back Black
*FvwmIdent: Fore white
*FvwmIdent: Font 9x15bold

no problem here, but I missed the version
you had the problem with.

I don't get any errors running with current CVS.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:48:24 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:48:54 -0400

> I don't get any errors running with current CVS.

	Aha! Do you by any chance also have a "*FvwmIdent: Colorset n"
command...following the Back/Fore commands? That works.

	UpdateBackgroundTransparency is getting called from ProcessXEvent with
a colorset of -1 if there is no colorset specified, or if Back/Fore are
specified after the colorset. It just goes downhill from there.

	Is the intent that order matters (i.e., that Back or Fore should
override a previously specified colorset), or that the colorset should
override Back/Fore regardless of the order? (My current working copy
implements the former precedence, but I'll change it to do the latter if
that's the consensus.)

Cheeers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:19:20 +0200

> whether I invoke Ident from a regular menu or a menu bound to a window

Works for me.  Config?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:43:40 +0200

> specified after the colorset. It just goes downhill from there.

Yes, that's the bug.
 
> implements the former precedence, but I'll change it to do the latter if

I think that  Back or Fore should override a previously specified colorset.

Regards, Olivier

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:12:55 -0400

> command...following the Back/Fore commands? That works.

Nope.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 06:55:43 -0400

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:43:40 +0200
Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ...
> > override a previously specified colorset), or that the colorset
> > should override Back/Fore regardless of the order? (My current
> > working copy implements the former precedence, but I'll change it to
> > do the latter if that's the consensus.)
> >
> 

	OK, I'll commit my fix later this morning.

Cheers,
Bob