Subject: Composing characters

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:38:32 +0100 (CET)

I started hacking in FBidiJoin.c to add the support for composing
characters. But it seems shape_n_join() isn't called.
configure reports FriBidi is used and I think I tried Arabic joining
within FVWM some time ago.

Or is it that stderr isn't output as expected? (I added fprintf to stderr
as debugging). I started the my testing version of FVWM manually, so I
think it should output stderr on the terminal...

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:59:54 +0000

> think it should output stderr on the terminal...

Are you sure you use an Arabic locale or text encoding?
shape_n_join is only called from FBidiConvert which in turn is only
called for bidi-requiring (i.e. right-to-left) encodings, see
FlocaleCharsetTable in FlocaleCharset.c.

I guess you should unlink or split this functionality from the bidi code.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:21:04 +0100 (CET)

> FlocaleCharsetTable in FlocaleCharset.c.

OK, I see.
I guess I'll take out this code from the BIDI stuff.

And I suppose I should use the fuctions from Flocale.c and Ficonv.c to
convert input string to Unicode.
Should I run FiconvCharsetToUtf8 straight away?
The comment says: /* conversion from the current charset to UTF8 */
But the the function takes an argument "FlocaleCharset".
What value is this supposed to have? Or do I already have this in
FlocaleEncodeString, where I guess the calls to my routines would be.

//Marcus