Subject: Notification: incoming/994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 14:04:32 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/994

Message summary for PR#994
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: taskbar abnormal behavior on task select
	Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 14:04:32 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Mar 01 14:04:32 2003
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: taskbar abnormal behavior on task select
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 14:04:32 -0600

Full_Name: Mihai Surdeanu
Version: snapshot 20030228
CVS_Date: 
OS: RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2
X_Server: XFree86-4.0.3-5
Submission from: (NULL) (216.138.75.50)

Sometimes when windows are selected or minimized by clicking on the
corresponding taskbar buttons the taskbar loses its content except the
selected window. In these situations, the taskbar appears as a rectangle
filled with the background color, and only the selected window is shown.
If the taskbar is hidden and shown again, or fvwm is restarted, the problem
goes away.
The same bug was observed using the unstable release 2.5.5, but it did not
appear with the latest stable release 2.4.15 and the same configuration.
Please contact me for my configuration.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:16:44 +0100

> Please contact me for my configuration.

Is that problem deterministic?  Please provide a configuration and
try to describe exactly what triggers the problem (step by step
instructions if possible).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mihai Surdeanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:07:33 -0600 (CST)

Dominik,
Here is my configuration (it is an archive of my .fvwm directory).
Unfortunately, the problem is not deterministic, so I can't really provide
step by step instructions on how to trigger it. 

I have been using this configuration for two days at work trying to come
up with a better understanding of the bug, but so far I think that the
only observation that holds is that any change in the taskbar window
buttons might trigger the bug. For example, the bug shows when a window
changes from minimized to normal state, or when the mouse focus shifts
from window to window. 

On my work PC with the configuration specified in the initial message, the
problem happens about 10 times a day, at least. At home, where I use a
similar configuration (but I have RH 7.3 hence a newer X server) I was not
able to replicate the problem. My best guess so far is that it is
triggered by the X server, which does not do a complete refresh of the
task bar when needed. 

I will keep monitoring the bug and hopefully I can come up with a scenario
that can be replicated. I will also upgrade to 7.3 and see if that solves
the problem.

Regards,
Mihai