Subject: Bug B.4, combining characters

From: Marcus Lundblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:33:15 +0100 (CET)

Is the bug about combining characters in todo-2.6 really a bug?
Is it supposed to work automatically. Is this supposed to be handled by
the X-calls that are used? Wouldn't this have to be handled in the code
(or a library used).
I think Pango should be used for this, but it seems like a larger rewrite
for this, is text rendering already done in libfvwm?

//Marcus

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:48:12 +0100

> Is the bug about combining characters in todo-2.6 really a bug?

Yes I think. But you may consider it is a miss-feature.

> for this, is text rendering already done in libfvwm?

Yes text rendering is done in the libfvwm. It has a lot of feature
regarding internationalization and font loading (take a look at the
FONT NAMES AND FONT LOADING, FONT AND STRING ENCODING and
BI-DIRECTIONAL TEXT sections of the man page). Basically, some
conversions are done before using X-calls. However, there are
no "composing char" converter in libfvwm.

About Pango. At present time the direction we take is to use
only "low-level" libs.

Olivier