Subject: Ethics and some straight talking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:43:31 +0200

In September 2001, sixtyfour people from all over the world signed
this dedication message for the 2.4.1 release:

  This release is dedicated to the victims of the terrorist attacks               
  in New York, Washington D.C. and Pittsburgh on 11th of September,               
  2001.  The following people, many of them users or developers of                
  fvwm, would like to express their sympathies to those affected:

So, at least these people came to think that killing civilians
is wrong.  If I were add a similar dedication message to the
2.4.16, who of the subscribers of the original message would sign
it and who would not?

  This release is dedicated to the victims of the war in Iraq that
  began in March, 2003.  The following people, many of them users
  or developers of fvwm, would like to express their sympathies to
  those affected:

I want to add that the answers I get from the subscribers of the
original message will have a direct effect on the future of fvwm,
so please think at least two seconds about credibility before you
answer.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:00:02 +0000

> so please think at least two seconds about credibility before you

I will subscribe under this.

Can I suggest this wording to make it clear it is not political?

   This release is dedicated to the victims of the war in Iraq that
   began in March, 2003.  The following people, many of them users
   or developers of fvwm, would like to express their sympathies to
   all victims from both sides affected:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:14:53 -0500

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:43:31 +0200
[email-masked] wrote:

> ...who of the subscribers of the original message would sign
> it and who would not?
> 

	I would subscribe that without a heartbeat's hesitation.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:20:06 -0500

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:00:02 +0000

>    all victims from both sides affected:

	I think this is not necessary - possibly  "all those afected". For one
thing, there are more than 2 sides affected.

	One of the sad facts of war (whether justified or not in anyone's
opinion) is the emotional wreckage that it heaps upon non-combatants in
many parts of the world. Consider the effects thus far on our little
microcosm of the FVWM developer community. In this ongoing argument, we
have all become victims of this war in our own small way (though
certainly not to the same extent as those killed, maimed, or left
homeless in the actual theater of operations), regardless of where we
live, our political leanings or ethical principles, or whether we are on
one side, the other, or neither.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: "Paul Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 20:28:38 -0500

%% Bob Woodside <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> or developers of fvwm, would like to express their sympathies to

  bw> 	I would subscribe that without a heartbeat's hesitation.

I have no problem whatsoever with dedications like this.  Although I'm
not sure I subscribed to the original so maybe I don't count :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Kingsly John <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:48:04 +0530

> 	I would subscribe that without a heartbeat's hesitation.

Ditto!

Kingsly

---

From: SCoTT SMeDLeY <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:26:13 +1000

:   >> ...who of the subscribers of the original message would sign
:   >> it and who would not?
:   >> 
:   >> This release is dedicated to the victims of the war in Iraq that
:   >> began in March, 2003.  The following people, many of them users
:   >> or developers of fvwm, would like to express their sympathies to
:   >> those affected:
: 
:   bw> 	I would subscribe that without a heartbeat's hesitation.
: 
: I have no problem whatsoever with dedications like this.  Although I'm
: not sure I subscribed to the original so maybe I don't count :).

ditto!

SCoTT. :)
-- 
[email-masked]