Subject: killmodules does not handle module aliases

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:27:30 +0100

How difficult is it to make module aliases to work with KillModule
too?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:35:05 +0000

> How difficult is it to make module aliases to work with KillModule

This works since 2.3.x:

  Module FvwmButtons MyLeftTopBar
  KillModule FvwmButtons MyLeftTopBar

And "KillModule FvwmButtons" kills all aliases.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:15:30 +0100

> And "KillModule FvwmButtons" kills all aliases.

I see.  Is there any reason why I can't say just

  KillModule MyLeftTopBar

?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:24:32 +0000

> I see.  Is there any reason why I can't say just

Will then "KillModule FvwmButtons" mean kill only one alias (no alias)
or all aliases? Currently you can do both variants (for example, I use
"KillModule FvwmEvent to kill all event listeners). This was the reason
of this KillModule syntax, another reason is similarity of the Module
and KillModule syntaxes regarding aliases. Finally, currently you may
define "Module FvwmIconMan MyLeftTopBar" and it works.

The global problem we have with aliases is that alias is optional for
modules, once we make the alias concept to be mandatory for all modules,
we may then think about changing the syntax of all module commands.
I will start a new thread about this later.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:35:33 +0100

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 03:24:32PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> or all aliases?

Only one.  How about pattern matching as in DestroyModuleConfig:

  KillModule FvwmButtons*

?

> Currently you can do both variants (for example, I use

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:19:39 +0000

On 27 Mar 2003 16:35:33 +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> Only one.

This breaks compatibility with the way it always worked (all FvwmButtons
instances are closed) and does not add anything that is not already
possible using KillModule.

> How about pattern matching as in DestroyModuleConfig:
> 
>   KillModule FvwmButtons*

Pattern on what? Module name (the first Module argument) or module alias
(usually the second Module argument, but not always, it's heuristics)?
I don't like the way we currently mix these two, we did this in the past,
but we should not do this in the future if we want a non-ambiguous clean
way of working with modules. We should have 2 levels, one for module
names and one for instance names instead of global mixing of everything
in one namespace.

I have a proper and convenient solution for this, but it is a bit
revolutional to be discussed now. Maybe after 2.6.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:17:10 +0100

> possible using KillModule.

It adds an intuitive syntax.

> names and one for instance names instead of global mixing of everything

*Shrug*  At the cost of nobody knowing the syntax.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:10:01 +0000

As I said in the parent messages, I want to rework module aliases before
3.0, i.e. finally add a concept of aliases to the module protocol and
adjust all module commands.

Adding now a syntax that 1) does not add any new functionality, 2) breaks
compatibility, 3) may kill a wrong module in some infortunate cases,
since the alias name currently is determined by heuristics, 4) will be
removed soon when the real solution for module aliases is implemented,
does not seem a proper thing to do for me.

Regards,
Mikhael.