Subject: Font problems

From: Aaron Dewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:16:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi, I had some strange problems with fonts after updating my system and
adding some i18n items.  Other managers still work fine (afterstep).

The manifestations of the problem are:

No fonts in menus
icon fonts weird (boxes between the letters)
Pager fonts displaced up or gone (in the mini windows)

My configuration items (which didn't change):

Style "default-style" UseDecor default-decor, Color Black/DarkGrey, Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*, HilightFore white HilightBack steelblue
MenuStyle "*" mwm, Foreground black, Background grey, Greyed white, Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*
*FvwmPagerFont none
*FvwmPagerSmallFont -*-times-medium-r-*-*-*-80-*-*-*-*-*-*

I've tried changing to different fonts to no avail.

My system is Debian Linux, the unstable distribution.  If it's a problem
there, I can submit a bug report, but at this point I've no idea what to
report, or even if it's the fvwm package or a dependency.  The packages
involved are the basic ones from them, none compiled by me.  I was messing
with libfreetype6, libfontconfig1 and fontconfig for a while until I
figured out my problem with respect to those, but I'm fairly certain I
got rid of all of my changes (compiled them myself, then picked through
the system removing the files it installed).

My purpose in installing the i18n packages was to start experimenting with
it and see what I could get working.  I tried uninstalling the fonts, no
change.  The other things (input methods, etc.) are not in use, so I would
think they wouldn't affect anything.  Primarily, they relate to chinese
fonts/methods for gb2312.

I appreciate any ideas!

Aaron

Here are the errors from fvwm:

[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][fixed]:The following charsets are missing:
 ISO10646-1 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 55, Error 7, EventType: 0
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-p-58-iso8859-1]:The following charsets are missing:
 ISO10646-1 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 12
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed][-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*]:The following charsets are missing:
 JISX0208.1983-0 KSC5601.1987-0 GB2312.1980-0 JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 2
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 8
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 7
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 56, Error 7, EventType: 9

(many more follow, EventType changes)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]