Subject: pager display problems

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:55:54 -0600

The pager is having some display problems.  fvwm 2.4.10 looks fine,
cvs has been broken for some time, I'm not sure how long, the top of
tree cvs (update yesterday) still has it.  It looks like the pages in
the pager are drawn too small causing two rows on the bottom to not be
updated in the case of 3x4 and 2 rows on the  bottom and 2 columns on
the right for 4x4.  Also when going from 3x3 to 3x4 pages (Menu or
fvwm talk command) the active region does not shrink so it overlaps
onto lower pages.  I'm running at 1280x1024.  I attached some images
and explained them below.

I have the following in my config

modules:*FvwmButtons(5x5) - blah SwallowModule "FvwmPager" Module FvwmPager 0 0
modules:########################### Pager ######################################### 
modules:*FvwmPagerBack #908090 
modules:*FvwmPagerFont none
modules:#FvwmPagerFore White
modules:*FvwmPagerHilight #cab3ca 
modules:*FvwmPagerSmallFont 5x7 
modules:*FvwmPagerGeometry 100x76-0-0
style:Style "FvwmPager" WindowListHit,BorderWidth 4,NoHandles, NoTitle, Sticky

The images included,
3x3.gif 3x3 desktop, looks fine
3x4.gif 3x4 desktop changed with fvwm talk with 3x3 being the
	previous, I put a solid green window in front of the pager and
	moved it, the pager did not update
4x4.gif 4x4 desktop, moved a red window in front of part of the pager

-- 
David Fries <[email-masked]>
http://fries.net/~david/pgpkey.txt

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:11:18 +0100

> and explained them below.

Yes, changing the DesktopSize break the pager.
 
> style:Style "FvwmPager" WindowListHit,BorderWidth 4,NoHandles, NoTitle, Sticky

You ask 100x76 pager

> 3x3.gif 3x3 desktop, looks fine

The real size of the pager is 98x74 because:

98 = 2 + 32*3 (2 separator and 3 screen)
74 = 2 + 24*3

> 	moved it, the pager did not update

74 - 3 = 71 is not divisible by 3, but 69 is. So we have a 2 pixel
band at the bottom of the pager which is "unmanaged".

What we can do is to resize the pager (if needed) when DesktopSize
change. I am just afraid that this leads to some problems. For example
we should be careful enough so that the pager does not become very
small after multiple DesktopSize change.

I do not think that drawing on the "unmanaged" part is a good idea for
various reasons.

Regards, Olivier
 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: David Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:03:08 -0600

> Yes, changing the DesktopSize break the pager.

It used to look fine, 2.4.10 at least.

> 98 = 2 + 32*3 (2 separator and 3 screen)

I didn't realize that, but you are correct.

> I do not think that drawing on the "unmanaged" part is a good idea for

It doesn't look too pretty when there are sections of windows that
don't update.  The old behavior or your suggestion with a twist could
work.

One option is to go back to the old behavior, calculate the size of a
page when you start based on the geometry, changing the # of pages
causes the window to resize so that the page sizes don't change, ie
3x3 -> 3x6 would be about twice as high.

Instead of worrying about the pager constantely shrinking, when we get
a DeskTopSize change event let the geometry calculation code that ran
when the FvwmPager was initially started tell us what geometry to
resize to.  The code could use the last resize value or
FvwmPagerGeometry if it hasn't been manully resized.  I would think
that could reuse some code.

I actually prefer the old behavior, but I guess someone changed it for
a reason.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:01:19 +0000

> I actually prefer the old behavior, but I guess someone changed it for

I don't think this change in FvwmPager was intentional. Anyway it is buggy
and should be fixed to behave like it did in 2.4.x.

Regards,
Mikhael.