Subject: fvwm man page

From: Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 19:40:22 +0300

Hello.

I have two notes about fvwm2.1:
1. I do not know if it is a feature or bug of gnu groff, but if you
run
groff -mandoc -Tlatin1 fvwm2.1
you will see, that lines started with ' are discarded. The first such
occurance is at
"
Lines beginning with '#' are ignored by fvwm.  Lines starting with
'*' are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
than configuration commands for fvwm itself). Like in shell
"
which is displayed as
"
       Lines  beginning  with  '#'  are  ignored  by fvwm.  Lines
       starting  with  than  configuration  commands   for   fvwm
       itself). Like in shell scripts embedded newlines in a con
"
The attached patch rearranges lines in fvwm2.1 so that no line starts
with '.

--- fvwm/fvwm2.1.orig	Mon Jan 27 05:53:03 2003
+++ fvwm/fvwm2.1	Mon Jan 27 08:39:42 2003
@@ -828,8 +828,8 @@
 .B Read
 built-in, it is easy to read in new configuration files as you go.
 
-Lines beginning with '#' are ignored by fvwm.  Lines starting with
-'*' are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
+Lines beginning with '#' are ignored by fvwm.  Lines starting with '*'
+are expected to contain module configuration commands (rather
 than configuration commands for fvwm itself). Like in shell
 scripts embedded newlines in a configuration file line can be
 quoted by preceding them with a backslash.  All lines linked in
@@ -1468,8 +1468,8 @@
 
 If the menu-label contains a sub-string which is set off by stars,
 then the text between the stars is expected to be the name of an
-xpm-icon or bitmap-file to insert in the menu.  To get a literal
-'*', insert "**".  For example
+xpm-icon or bitmap-file to insert in the menu.  To get a literal '*',
+insert "**".  For example
 .EX
  + Calculator*xcalc.xpm* Exec exec xcalc
 .EE
@@ -4262,9 +4262,9 @@
 describes where the binding applies.  Valid contexts are 'R' for
 the root window, 'W' for an application window, 'T' for a window
 title-bar, 'S' for a window side, top, or bottom bar, 'F' for a
-window frame (the corners), 'I' for an Icon window, or '0' through
-'9' for title-bar buttons, or any combination of these letters.
-'A' is for any context except for title-bar buttons.  For
+window frame (the corners), 'I' for an Icon window, or '0' through '9'
+for title-bar buttons, or any combination of these letters. 'A'
+is for any context except for title-bar buttons.  For
 instance, a context of "FST" applies when the mouse is anywhere in
 a window's border except the title-bar buttons.  Only 'S' and 'W'
 are valid for an undecorated window.
@@ -4892,8 +4892,8 @@
 the
 .I scr-spec
 argument specifies the Xinerama screen on which the IconBox is
-defined.  It can be the usual screen Xinerama specification, 'p',
-'c', 'g', a screen number or the additional 'w' for the screen
+defined.  It can be the usual screen Xinerama specification, 'p', 'c', 'g',
+a screen number or the additional 'w' for the screen
 where the window center is located.  This is only useful with
 multiple Xinerama screens.  Perhaps easier to use is an X11
 geometry string:
@@ -6654,8 +6654,8 @@
 the primary screen's number.  Instead, the letter 'c' indicates to
 use the curent screen (containing the pointer) whenever the
 primary screen is used.  This may be very confusing under some
-circumstances.  With
-'g', the global screen is used as the primary screen, effectively
+circumstances.  With 'g',
+the global screen is used as the primary screen, effectively
 disabling the primary screen.  Calling this function with any
 other argument (including none) resets the primary screen to 0.

2. I've got a user how complains that Emulate function is probably not
   fully documented. He needs irrefragable information about it. Comment,
   if you can, please.

Thanks,
-- 
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:48:52 -0500

Alexander Kotelnikov <[email-masked]> writes:
> --=-=-=

This was already fixed in the beta (2.5) branch by backslashing the
lines beginning with a quote.  I just fixed the 2.4.x branch the same way.

>    fully documented. He needs irrefragable information about it. Comment,

I'll look as soon as I figure out what irrefragable means.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:15:21 -0500

>    fully documented. He needs irrefragable information about it. Comment,

The command actually was fully documented, although not all in one
place.  The missing piece was that it has some affect on how
manual window placement is aborted.

The man page is now fixed in both the beta and stable branch.

(irrefragable->irrefutable)

Thanks.