Subject: Re: FVWM: Java Swing window positioning

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:27:15 +0100

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:06:42PM -0500, Tessa Lau wrote:
> On Thursday, Olivier Chapuis mumbled:
> > It seems that Dan and me do not have this problem (without the
> > FixedPPosition style). Can you send me a minimal java program
> > which has this problem.
> 
> Certainly.  *Every* Java Swing program I run is displayed off the
> upper-left corner of the screen, but I'll attach a minimal program for
> you to play with.  ("javac Misbehave.java; java Misbehave")
> 
> I suspect it's a windowmanager/JDK interaction.  I'm running FVWM
> 2.5.5.  I've tried running this program with four different JDKs, and
> the bug is only triggered by 1.4.1:
> 
>    IBMs Java 1.3.1                          works correctly
>    Blackdown Java 1.3.1-02b-FCS             works correctly
>    Blackdown Java 1.4.1-beta                BUG
>    Blackdown Java 1.4.1-01                  BUG
> 

And 

    SUN JDK 1.3.1_04       "works correctly" (here)
    Sun JDK 1.4.1-01       "works correctly" (Dan)
    Bob jdk                BUG (Bob want jdk do you use?).

I say "works correctly" because I do not understand why when you
do not set any location java assumes that the location is (0,0).
I imagine this is intentional. 

> Hope that helps you to track down the problem.
>

Can you send "a bug report" to Blackdown? Do you try with others
window managers?

If I well understand this depends on how the application think the wm
will interpret a move-resize config request. Maybe, we should add a
style to handle such situations (I do not think that FixedPPosition is
really appropriate). Dominik, what do you think?

Regards, Olivier 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:30:59 +0100

> really appropriate). Dominik, what do you think?

I tried several times to discuss that topic on the wm-spec list,
but all that ever comes out of this is that people do not care and
say "but the ICCCM is clear about this".  They seem to completely
ignore that the problem has been there for a long time and can
only be fixed with a clear spec.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:49:02 +0100

> only be fixed with a clear spec.

Yes. Today I reread the threads on this subject on the wm-spec list.
I am totally agree with you. The problem is that a lot of applications
use now the ICCCM way for move-resize after mapping: some jdk (but the
pb is more complex here), gtk and tk (and we got a lot of bug report
on tk related to this pb). I do not know for qt/kde. On the other
hand, I am afraid that nothing will be done on this in the EWMH spec
(basically because havoc/metacity does not care about legacy app which
use the gravity).

So, I really think that we need a style ICCCMMoveResize / !ICCCMMoveResize
The default is not really the pb I think. In any case we will have some
bug reports on this. With such a style we will have a good answer.

About implementation, I think I will need a lot of time and as you
know perfectly the pb you can do it in a few minutes ...
Moreover, feature freeze is not a pb here as this style will close
some "important bugs".

Olivier

PS: I've also read your mail on SUN Bug Parade (bug nbr. 4401846)
I like it a lot. Tessa, if you want a clear explanation on the pb
take a look at it (java SUN site -> bug parade -> register -> search
4401846)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]