Subject: GTK Button Bar

From: "Mark A. Nicolosi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:08:25 -0600

I was looking at my desktop the other day, and I noticed most of the
GUI programs I use are based on GTK. Everything goes so nicely
together, except one thing: FvwmButtons. Don't get me wrong, FvwmButtons
is great, but I want a more uniform appearance. So I got to thinking
about writing a module for Fvwm that is basically the same as
FvwmButtons but uses GTK.

Is there any reason this can't or shouldn't be done? I'm not very
familiar with Fvwm code, so do you experienced Fvwm hackers think
this may be too much trouble? I'm about a familiar with C, I've
written trivial little programs with it. I've read some of the GTK
tutorials on there site, it doesn't look to difficult to understand.
And it's got to be thousands of times simpler to program with than
XLib. Any comments, ideas, suggestions? Also, if I do decide to do
this, I won't have much time.

-- 
Mark A. Nicolosi <markan_at_penguinmail.com>

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those how can read binary
code, and those who can't."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:30:40 +0000

> this, I won't have much time.

Check out FvwmGtk written 4 years ago, it does want you want, pretty
ammazing and pretty underestimated too. You don't need to code in C, just
supply a configuration similar to FvwmButtons's. Someone wanted to port
FvwmGtk to GTK+ 2, but I am not sure what is the progress. If you want to
extend FvwmGtk - welcome.

Another possibility is to use Gtk-Perl and write new modules in perl.
Run "fvwm-perllib man" to learn about this in 2.5.x. You may see/run
FvwmGtkDebug for a nice example. Or search "cdemu" in Google.

For more info, "man FvwmGtk", "man FvwmGtkDebug".

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Mark A. Nicolosi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:35:34 -0600

> For more info, "man FvwmGtk", "man FvwmGtkDebug".
Thanks, looks like it'd do everythink I'd like, except swallow apps. But
maybe that wouldn't be too hard to add. Thanks again.