Subject: NEWS in unstable branch

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:08:58 +0100

I think we have too many messages in the NEWS for the unstable
branch right now.  In the past, I made entries for

  * New features and other important user visible changes

but not for

  * Bug fixes
  * Minor user visible changes
  * Changes in the documentation

Especially, when a feature was introduced in the unstable branch
and removed before the stable release, I remove any hints of that
feature from the NEWS.  If it is renamed before a stable release,
I replace its former name in the NEWS with the new name and do not
add a "renamed foo to bar" message in the NEWS.

What do you think about that?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:42:31 -0500

> What do you think about that?

I seem to remember, "clean up NEWS" as part of the 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 process.

(I agree.)

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:27:03 +0100

> What do you think about that?

I prefer a too long NEWS file than a too short one. Numerous package
has an obsolete NEWS file This is very frustrating when you upgrade or
have to decide if you want to upgrade. The NEWS file is very useful.
Anyway, as our NEWS file is well maintained I think that some cuts can
be done if these cuts do not suppress information for the user (important
or not). Not that it seems that a lot of users use 2.5.x as its regular
window manager.

Olivier