Subject: dragging windows off screen can crash fvwm

From: Larry Felton Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:33:42 -0500

Since I have been having the same problem (crash while
moving windows, solaris 8, on a sunblade 100)

I recompiled fvwm2 as per the instructions below and induced
the crash (the crash is very easy to do and remarkably consistent).

Unfortunately no core file was produced (did a find / -name core)

Any other suggestions?  I'd like to help follow through on this.

						Larry

Can you compile fvwm with debug symbols enabled and fetch us a stack
trace?  With gcc/gdb:

   $ make CFLAGS="-g"

to build and then run and crash fvwm, locate the core file and run

  $ gdb fvwm2 core
  (gdb) where

Others may help out with the instructions for the SOlaris compiler
and debugger.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:44:07 -0500

> Any other suggestions?  I'd like to help follow through on this.

We just got this post from Gregg Dameron:

Some colleagues of mine have seen this problem as well with 2.4.7 on a
SunBlade under Solaris 8.  Their solution was to upgrade the frame buffer
(PGX) to one that supports 3-D graphics.  If your Blade has a PGX (aka m64),
and if you run

    fbconfig -prconf

as root and _don't_ get

    Type: double-buffered FFB2+ with Z-buffer

then you're hitting the same problem they did.  My guess is it's a bug with
Solaris 8's PGX 2-D device driver.  From bug #958's text, it appears to have
been fixed by Solaris 9.  Hope this helps.
--
Gregg Dameron

So, it looks like a Solaris problem,  If you'd still like
to see if there's something that can be done on the fvwm side:

Either fvwm is coring, or its printing a message and exiting.

Check that you don't have core dumps supressed:

ulimit -a

make sure coredump(blocks) is a large number or unlimited.

Look for the stderr output from Fvwm.  Where that goes depends
on how Fvwm is started.  If you are using CDE, it should be in
$HOME/.xsession-errors.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]