Subject: 2 bugs in FvwmProxy

From: Grzegorz Nieweglowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:46:57 +0100

There are 2 small problems with FvwmProxy (current CVS version).

1. FvwmProxy seems to have trouble handling mouse buttons other than the
default ones.
If I click with the middle button on a proxy window, then FvwmProxy dies.

2. FvwmProxy windows get redrawn to frequently, in some situations.
The potential trouble can be shown with the help of xmms. When xmms plays
a song, it also changes it's title, once a second (because the title
containes the play time by default). Now if you have xmms playing something
while showing proxies, then the proxies will redraw themselfs every time the
xmms title changes (every second). This simply looks bad, but more
importantly: when the proxies get redrawn, the active (hilighted) proxie
looses it's hilight. It's rather hard to navigate between the windows if you
loose the hilight every second.

Maybe FvwmProxy shouldn't update the proxies every time some window decides
to change it's title?

-- 
\hoppke
(Grzegorz Nieweglowski)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:32:19 +0100

> containes the play time by default).

Argh!  *Please* ask the xmms developers not to do this.  It is
asking for trouble.  They probably never thought of the icon
managers that have to do all the redraws too.  The window title is
no good place to display fast changing information.

> Now if you have xmms playing something

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:33:08 -0800

> > If I click with the middle button on a proxy window, then FvwmProxy dies.

Umm, yeah, that kills it.  I'm not debuggable right now, but I'm guessing
ClickAction[PROXY_ACTION_CLICK+1] is NULL.  That would kill it.
I guess we're not setting all the buttons to "" by default.

> no good place to display fast changing information.

If they can, they will.  If they don't, someone else will.
If I just get a M_WINDOW_NAME, we don't need a full rebuild.
Maybe we should avoid the Reshuffle under modest changes.
Perhaps a simple redraw of the single proxy would do it.

So how do you get this xmms thing to play a CD, anyhow?

-- 
  _
 ( \      _  \    /_ /  _ _  Jason Weber                  (503) 380-7424
  \|(\/)()))  \/\/(-/_)(-/(  Infinite Monkeys Inc.        Aloha, Oregon
  //                         http://www.imonk.com/baboon  [email-masked]
 (/     [email-masked]        [email-masked]

 "Canister contains at least 50% recycled material; 15% post-consumer content."
  -- Pringles Fat-Free (side of can)