Subject: Notification: incoming/972

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:06:59 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/972

Message summary for PR#972
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: FVWM doesn't accept my fonts anymore :-(
	Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:06:58 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Dec 21 11:06:58 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FVWM doesn't accept my fonts anymore :-(
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:06:58 -0600

Full_Name: Marc-Jano Knopp
Version: 2.4.14
CVS_Date: 
OS: GNU/Linux 2.4.19 (SuSE 7.3)
X_Server: XFree86 4.1.0
Submission from: (NULL) (141.76.1.122)

I just switched from 2.4.6 to 2.4.14 (self-compiled), and now
fvwm does not recognize my fonts anymore:

[...]
[FVWM][Echo]:  Parsing .fvwm2rc...
[FVWM][Echo]:  Parsing decorations...
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset 7x14, trying: 
        -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
[FVWM][GetFontSetOrFixed]: WARNING -- can't get fontset 6x10, trying: 
        -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
[...]

1. I haven't changed the configuration at all! Now neither the MenuStyle
   font nor the FvwmPager font likes my fonts anymore :-(

2. The fonts work perfectly elsewhere:

      xterm -fn 7x14

   or

      xterm -fn 6x10

   work perfectly!

Marc-Jano, baffled

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 07:43:42 +0100

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:06:59AM -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>

You have compiled fvwm with the --enable-multibyte option. That is
the difference. This option should be selected only if you use
a true multibyte language (e.g., a CJK language). These type of
pbs has been fixed in the 2.5.x series (*unstable* series).

You probably use a locale with a charset which is not "iso8859-1"
and your fonts 7x14 and 6x10 are aliases to some fonts with
such a charset. Moreover, your locale X config reject the
"iso8859-1" charset as an acceptable charset for your locale.
With "--enable-multibyte" you should replace 7x14 by:
  -*-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-*
and 6x10 by:
  -*-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-*

Regards, Olivier 

PS: no valid e-mail address, maybe the sender read the archives