Subject: did anything related to menus/colorsets change recently?

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:59:47 -0800

Hello,

in 
   fvwm 2.5.4 (from cvs) compiled on Oct 20 2002 at 00:42:44
   with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, GNOME WM hints, EWMH
   hints, Shape, SM, Xinerama, XFT

things seem to work as desired.

Yesterday, recompiled and installed a cvs version (sorry,
dont have it on hand, but that's whatever was in the cvs
yesterday).

Now, when i specify 'fg' in the colorset used for my active
menu items (colorset 2), there is no effect. 'bg', however,
does take effect when I change it.

I am willing to admit that maybe something with my config
used to be wrong, but used to work anyway, and now
rightfully does not. Hence, I am wondering if there were any
recent changes to colorset/menu handling that could've
caused this?

Config hasn't been changed between the two versions. Also, I
did try changing colorset values, and I do see background
change, while foreground does not.

Here are my relevant lines

   CleanupColorsets

   # 
   # menu
   #
   # basic menu colorset
   ColorSet 0 fg NavajoWhite, bg #475293, Plain, NoShape
   # greyed menu colorset
   ColorSet 1 fg grey48, bg grey48, Plain, NoShape
   # active menu item fg+bg
   Colorset 2 fg #475293, bg NavajoWhite, Plain, NoShape

   (there are more, but I dont think they are relevant)
...

   #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   #				MENUS
   #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   MenuStyle * Fvwm, Font -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-12-*
   MenuStyle *	DoubleClickTime 300, HilightBack
   MenuStyle * MenuColorset 0, GreyedColorset 1, ActiveColorset 2, TrianglesSolid
   MenuStyle * PopupDelayed, PopupDelay 300, RemoveSubmenus, PopupAsSubmenu

thanks,

denis

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:27:48 +0100

> Here are my relevant lines

[snip]

>    MenuStyle * MenuColorset 0, GreyedColorset 1, ActiveColorset 2, TrianglesSolid

The change is described in the NEWS:

  The HilightBack and ActiveFore menu styles are independent of
  each other.  HilightBack without using ActiveFore does no longer
  hilight the item text.

And from the man page:

  ActiveFore and ActiveForeOff switch hilighting the foreground of
  the selected menu item on and off.  A specific foreground color
  may be used by providing the color name as an argument to
  ActiveFore.  Omitting the color turns hilighting on when an
  ActiveColorset is used.  ActiveForeOff turns off hilighting the
  foreground completely.  The ActiveColorset option overrides the
  specified color.

It is slightly inconsistent with the way it worked before.  To sum
it up, add

  MenuStyle * ActiveFore

and it works again.  I changed that because I saw no reason why
HilightBack also activated foreground hilighting.  You could not
have both independently of each other.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^