Subject: M_NEW_PAGE changes

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 05:50:56 +0000

Currently M_NEW_PAGE has the following 4-th and 5-th arguments:

  max_left_top_virtual_x
  max_left_top_virtual_y

As FvwmOldDebug.c says, several years ago such arguments did not exist.
These may be only useful in a pager and indead only FvwmPager uses them.
These values are not very useful in other modules and speaking strictly
FvwmPager also just needs to know how may whole pages a desktop has and
to evaluate max_left_top coordinates itself (instead of the other way).

So I want to replace these 2 values with another 4 that would be useful
in all modules especially non C modules without an obvious DisplayWidth:

  vp_width       (viewport size in pixels; is page_width a better name?)
  vp_height
  total_pages_x  (DesktopSize; is desktop_size_x a better name?)
  total_pages_y

I will adjust FvwmPager and module documentation to these changes.
Any comments before I do this.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Peter McAlpine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:36:59 -0500

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:50:56AM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
--snip--
>   total_pages_x  (DesktopSize; is desktop_size_x a better name?)
--snip--
> Any comments before I do this.

yes,

aren't there lots of possible desktops... because I can set my
viewport to look at anywhere I want within my desktop (ex-
overlooking two pages).

I don't think that it's very consistent with the other information
being sent with M_NEW_PAGE. I could recieve:
vp_width/height == probably screen resolution
vp_x/y COULD == (123,321)... in which case:
total_pages_x/y == nothing useful what-so-ever.

If you ask me:
M_NEW_PAGE should contain ONLY vp_x/y
M_CONFIG_INFO should contain vp_width/height, and either
max_possible_x/y OR DesktopSize (which I think it already does).

It seems a little like fvwm sits on the fence regarding whether
consider pages as something that can overlap or not. I would say that
a "viewport" could have any possible top-left x/y... and that "pages"
are viewports that do not overlap each other.

am I making sense?
peter

-- 
Peter McAlpine
[email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:34:06 +0000

> total_pages_x/y == nothing useful what-so-ever.

total_pages_x/y may be not useful for FvwmWindowLister, but useful for
FvwmPager.

> max_possible_x/y OR DesktopSize (which I think it already does).

Currently when DesktopSize command is issued _or_ a page is switched a
single M_NEW_PAGE is sent carrying all changes. I don't want to change
this, because it seems to be convenient for all modules, not just a pager.
Of course, a more static info (that is mostly not changed) may be moved to
M_CONFIG_INFO, but M_NEW_PAGE is sent rarely, so it is not very important.
This may be done later when all packets are redesigned, I don't like, for
example, that M_CONFIG_INFO unites module configuration lines and global
constants instead of having 2 different packets. I don't like M_NEW_DESK.

As I said, if you will use the PageInfo tracker, you will not need to know
whether it internally listens to M_NEW_PAGE, M_NEW_DESK or M_CONFIG_INFO.

> are viewports that do not overlap each other.

I use this terminology, viewport is something more general than a page.

Regards,
Mikhael.