Subject: key release bindings / FvwmProxy

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:52 +0100

Key release bindings are now implemented.  They don't work too
well as many applications refuse to take keyboard input while such
a key is held down.  That somewhat limits the possibilities of
FvwmProxy as an Alt-Tab replacement.  Try this config:

------------------------------- snip -----------------------------
*FvwmProxy: Colorset 0
*FvwmProxy: SelectColorset 1
Colorset 1 fg red, bg green

Key -Meta_L A A SendToModule FvwmProxy hide
Key Tab A M ShowProxy Next
Key Tab A SM ShowProxy Prev

AddToFunc ShowProxy
+ I SendToModule FvwmProxy show
+ I FvwmProxy_Circulate $0 (currentpage)

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I FvwmProxy
------------------------------- snip -----------------------------

I know there is a problem with the release key binding ("-Meta_L")
when a menu is brought up and navigated with the keyboard while
the proxies are shown.  I'm not sure about the correct fix yet.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:28:29 +0100

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:00:52AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> a key is held down.

I think that patch has to be backed out.  I can't think of a way
to make it work reliably with a radical redesign of fvwm.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:30:10 -0800

> to make it work reliably with a radical redesign of fvwm.

They're working perfectly for me.  I map alt-press and alt-release
and I can still do alt-f, etc in my browser.

man fvwm2 already says:
	Note:  Some  X servers do not support KeyRelease events.  Selec-
	tOnRelease does not work on such a machine.

Can't we just say that the -Key bindings are also not supported on some
machines?  I think we're getting closer to a pretty refined FvwmProxy
and I'd hate to throw all that away (or have to go back to polling).

Do key release bindings have any negative effect on anyone who
is not using them?

-- 
  _
 ( \      _  \    /_ /  _ _  Jason Weber                  (503) 380-7424
  \|(\/)()))  \/\/(-/_)(-/(  Infinite Monkeys Inc.        Aloha, Oregon
  //                         http://www.imonk.com/baboon  [email-masked]
 (/     [email-masked]        [email-masked]

     "Canister contains at least 50% recycled material; 15%
      post-consumer content."
   -- Pringles Fat-Free (side of can)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:40:41 +0100

> and I can still do alt-f, etc in my browser.

The code is bound to either freeze the keyboard completely or to
lose the release events once in a while.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^