Subject: renaming styles and commands

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:34:47 +0100

I am going to rename a number of styles and commands that were
introduced in 2.5.  These are the general rules I follow when
renaming, removing changing features:

  Features that were in any stable release:

    - Must be kept for compatibility if possible at all.

  Features that are new to the current development series:

    - Can be changed, removed or renamed without mentioning it in
      the documentation.
      [Reason:  otherwise, development would become too difficult
      and the documentation confusing]
    - Such a change should be mentioned on the mailing list.
    - The change is documented in the ChangeLog.
    - Any entries in the NEWS about the feature are rewritten so
      that it looks like the feature was originally written in the
      new form.
      [Reason:  The NEWS finally becomes the ANNOUNCE for the next
      stable release.  The risk of posting incorrect information
      is too high.  The NEWS should reflect the current state, not
      document the changes (use ChangeLog).]

A bit off topic:  a rule of thumb for new features:

  - *Every* new keyword (command name, style name, option of a
    command etc.) must appear in the NEWS.

This is the list of changes I am going to make:

  Commands

    EWMHBaseStrut -> EWMHBaseStruts

      There are always four struts, hence the plural.

    DesktopName -> DeskName

      Some commands use "desk" and other "desktop".  This should be
      cleaned up for 3.0, but not now.

  Styles

    Border -> Borders

      For future extensions treating all the borders separately.

    NoBorder -> remove

      I do not use negative style names anymore.  In the future, I
      intend to remove them all and replace them with !stylename.

    PlacementOverlapPenalties -> MinOverlapPlacementPenalties
    PlacementOverlapPercentPenalties
    -> MinOverlapPercentPlacementPenalties

      For consistency with the placement style names.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]