Subject: FvwmPager uses near 100% cpu w/ "NoSeparators" option

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 01:48:48 -0500 (EST)

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname: FreeBSD moo.holy.cow 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 22 04:00:50 EDT 2002     [email-masked]:/cdrw/obj/cdrw/src/sys/BOVINE  i386
compiler flags: cc -O -pipe -march=pentiumpro -Wall -Wno-implicit-int

FVWM Version:	2.5.4
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/usr2/X11R6/libexec/fvwm/2.5.4
FVWM_DATADIR:	/usr2/X11R6/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	/usr2/home/parv/cf/wm

Description:

i just tried fvwm 2.5.4.  with the following minimum custom
configuration file, FvwmPager uses near 100% CPU

  AddToFunc StartFunction
  + I Module FvwmPager * *

  DeskTopSize  2x2

  DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager: *
  *FvwmPager: NoSeparators

...below is some more fvwm version info...

  fvwm 2.5.4 compiled on Nov  1 2002 at 00:34:51
  with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, EWMH hints, Shape, XFT

...the "NoSeparators" option was ok in version 2.5.3.  that is, 
FvwmPager module was not using CPU excessively.

if "NoSeparators" option is not used, then the pager behaves ok.

Repeat-By:

try to use FvwmPager w/ fvwm 2.5.4 w/ above "NoSeparators" option.
hopefully, CPU usage will be close to 100%.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:12:06 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote parv/fastmail thusly...
>   DestroyModuleConfig FvwmPager: *

in addition...

  - simple kill doesn't work (to kill FvwmPager), have to send the
    KILL signal.

  - everytime i restarted fvwm, an additional pager would also
    start, w/ evenly distributed (ps(1)) %CPU statistic.

    if total of 2 pagers are spawned, %CPU would show a number
    approx. 50 for each. if total of 5 pagers are spawned (fvwm
    restarted 5 times), each process would have a number approx. 19
    for %CPU (19*5 = 95).

--

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:04:58 +0100

> hopefully, CPU usage will be close to 100%.

Fixed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]