Subject: fvwm 2.5.4 - FvwmWinList doesn't seem to grow w/o re-start

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:24:19 -0500

i have just started using FvwmWinList non-transiently (in addition
to core WinList command).  it brings back the memory of using
(t)vtwm.  best of all, it doesn't get in the way once minimized or
shaded.

now the problem...  after the first fvwm start, FvwmWinList doesn't
grow when additional windows are opened.  only those seem to be
listed which were started before the start of fvwm.

after re-starting fvwm, FvwmWinList module seem to recognize windows
opened after fvwm's first start & adjusts the list accordingly.  it
also behaves when windows are closed.

so my question is why FvwmWinList behave the way it does?  IOW, why
doesn't FvwmWinList recognizes new windows opened after fvwm's first
start (w/o the need of re-start)?

  - parv

-- 

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:28:00 +0100

> start (w/o the need of re-start)?

Can you post a minimal config file and step by step instructions,
please?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:56:54 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote fvwm-w thusly...
> > listed which were started before the start of fvwm.
...
> Can you post a minimal config file and step by step instructions,

~/.xinitrc (not that it matters)...

  aterm &
  fvwm -f ${HOME}/cf/fvwm/fvwm.test &
  sleep 1
  aterm

...${HOME}/cf/fvwm/fvwm.test...

  key F1  R  A  -

  Mouse 1 TS  N  move-shade
  Mouse 3  T  N  WindowShade toggle

  AddToFunc    StartFunction
  +  I Module FvwmWinList

  DestroyFunc  move-shade
  AddToFunc    move-shade
  +  I Raise
  +  M Move
  +  D WindowShade

  DestroyModuleConfig FvwmWinList: *
  *FvwmWinList:  Geometry -0+0

...so after fvwm starts & 2 aterm windows are open, note the listing
in FvwmWinList.

shade the FvwmWinList by double clicking the title (as provided by
above key bindings & function); open one more aterm or any other
program which will open a new window.

now, un-shade the FvwmWinList, note the listing.  any new open
window(s) will be missing.  restart fvwm & everything behaves as
expected.

  - parv

--

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:39:23 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote parv thusly...
...
> start (w/o the need of re-start)?

an update ... i just noticed that a restart doesn't make
FvwmWinList to add new windows when it's shaded.

back to pre FvwmWinList days...

--

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:35:00 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote parv/fastmail thusly...
> back to pre FvwmWinList days...

i just tried FvwmIconMan which also displays same behaviour: list
isn't updated while the module's window is shaded.

  - parv

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:34:26 +0100

> isn't updated while the module's window is shaded.

I think that should just be documented.  Shaded windows can not
resize themselves as this causes a lot of trouble.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: parv <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:30:47 -0500

in message <[email-masked]>,
wrote [email-masked] thusly...
> > > i just noticed that a restart doesn't make

if that is/will be the case, i would not bother w/ them anymore.

  - parv

--