Subject: Notification: incoming/963

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:37:29 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/963

Message summary for PR#963
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: multihead manual placement: mouse cursor escapes screen
	Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:37:26 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Mon Nov 25 11:37:29 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: multihead manual placement: mouse cursor escapes screen
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:37:26 -0600

Full_Name: Todd Allen
Version: 2.4.13
CVS_Date: 
OS: RedHat linux 8.0 / kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0
X_Server: XFree86 4.2.0
Submission from: (NULL) (208.248.32.211)

This problem happens with a 2-headed display.  I'm not using Xinerama, so
the two heads are separate screens, :0.0 and :0.1.  The former is on the
left, and the latter is on the right.  Each screen has its own, separate
fvwm process.  And each screen also has its own virtual screen which is
larger than the screen's physical geometry.

A new window comes into being (from a new xterm) on :0.1.  It requires
manual placement.  

With some windows, I would slam them up against the left edge of the
screen, knowing that, with fvwm 2.2.5 at least, the mouse cursor would stop
there, and I'd get my window with a X coordinate of 0.  With 2.4.13, the
mouse cursor, instead of stopping at the left edge of screen :0.1, escapes
from screen :0.1 and starts moving around on screen :0.0.  The window
outline of the new window stays back on screen :0.1 and ceases to move.  If
I click while the mouse cursor is still on screen :0.0, it seems like it
takes whatever point I clicked there and places my window at the
corresponding point on screen :0.1.

With the current arrangement, I can try to finesse it by just getting the
mouse cursor close to the left edge.  But if I overshoot, my cursor ends up
on the wrong screen and way over near its right edge, when I really wanted
to be at the left edge of the original screen.  As a result, if I click
there, my window ends up at completely different place than I intended.

I'd like a way to get the functionality that was present in 2.2.5 back:
just don't let the mouse cursor escape from the current screen while doing
manual placement on that screen, especially since the window sure isn't
going to escape from the current screen.  Instead, just refuse to let the
mouse cursor progress past the edge and onto a different screen.

Incidentally, I tried this same example with 2.4.6, too, and it had a
different (mis)behavior.  When the mouse cursor reached the left edge of
:0.1, it would stay on screen :0.1, but switch it to a different area of
the virtual desktop.  Strangely, too.  If I was at the left edge of the
virtual desktop as well as the screen, it would switch to show me an area
to the far right of the virtual desktop.  Presumably that was fixed between
2.4.6 and 2.4.13.  I just mention it because I want to be clear that I'm
NOT implying it should revert to that behavior.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:21:14 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:37:29AM -0600, fvwm-bug wrote:
> from screen :0.1 and starts moving around on screen :0.0.
[snip]

I have committed a patch.  Please try out the next development
snapshot to check whether the problem is gone.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]