Subject: Xft1 detection modification for configure.in

From: Ethan Blanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:25:37 -0500

This must not be necessary on all systems, but it sure is on mine...
And it shouldn't mess anything up on the systems where it is not.

If configure tries to check libXft without -lXrender, the checks fail
on my system.  This patch adds -lXrender to the libs line for Xft.  It
affects three lines in configure.in.

(I'm not subscribed to this list, if you have specific questions or
comments, please Cc: me.  Although I probably will be subscribed soon.
;-)
Ethan

-- 
And if I claim to be a wise man / it surely means that I don't know.
                -- Kansas, "Carry on Wayward Son"
--- fvwm-2.5.4-orig/configure.in	Tue Oct 29 05:00:26 2002
+++ fvwm-2.5.4/configure.in	Sun Nov  3 19:49:25 2002
@@ -398,10 +398,10 @@
     $UNSET ac_cv_lib_Xft_XftDrawStringUtf8
     AC_CHECK_LIB(Xft, XftFontOpen,
       with_xft=yes, with_xft=no,
-      [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
+      [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 -lXrender $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
     if test x"$with_xft" = xyes ; then
       AC_CHECK_LIB(Xft, XftConfigSubstitute, is_xft1=yes, is_xft1=no,
-                   [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
+                   [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 -lXrender $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
       if test x"$is_xft1" = xyes; then
         Xft_LIBS="-lXft $FT2_LIBS"
 	Xft_CFLAGS="$Xft_CFLAGS $FT2_CFLAGS"
@@ -416,7 +416,7 @@
     fi
     if test x"$with_xft" = xyes; then
       AC_CHECK_LIB(Xft, XftDrawStringUtf8, AC_DEFINE(HAVE_XFT_UTF8),,
-                   [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
+                   [$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lXext -lX11 -lXrender $X_EXTRA_LIBS $FT2_LIBS])
     fi
   fi

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:16:40 +0100

> affects three lines in configure.in.

Applied, thanks. But do you know why the patch is needed on your
system but not on some others?

Regards, Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Ethan Blanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:00:04 -0500

> system but not on some others?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I'm running Red Hat 7.3, I don't know if
maybe you haven't tested it there before...  I know some systems have
.pc files for XFT, in which case the .pc file might provide some more
information.  (I don't remember if the configure script for fvwm
looked for .pc files or not.)  Fvwm is not the first package I've had
this problem with; it's possible that many newer distributions use
strict rpaths or something, I don't know.

Sorry that was a non-answer.  :-)
Ethan