Subject: CVS olicha: * Added -lXrender in Xft 1 configure tests (Ethan Blanton)

From: FVWM CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 05:30:51 -0600

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	olicha	02/11/04 05:30:51

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog configure.in 
	bin            : fvwm-root.c 
	fvwm           : fvwm.1.in fvwm.c 
	libs           : Fft.c Fft.h PictureBase.c PictureBase.h 
	                 PictureUtils.c PictureUtils.h 

Log message:
* Added -lXrender in Xft 1 configure tests (Ethan Blanton)
* Trace colours allocation out of the pallet in depth <= 8. Better
information on colours with PrintInfo
* Fixed xft rotated font when the original font has a matrix (nothing to
do with Bug #950)
* New options -strict-color-limit, -allocate-pallet, -static-pallet,
-named-pallet. -color-limit now take only integer argument
* WARNNING: Documented the new options. A draft ... Dan any comments?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:37:37 -0500

> * WARNNING: Documented the new options. A draft ... Dan any comments?

I think its getting better.

I still need to do more work on the wording.

The formulas are really hard for the average user to understand.
For example:

fvwm can use any color cube of the form RxGxB with 2 <= R <= 6, R = G,
R-1 =< B <= R and B >= 2.

I think they might be better expressed in words, or works and
the formula.

Its still hard to figure out which option to use.

Is it possible to associate each option with QT, GTK, gradients,
plain old X applications?  It says QT and GTK use cubes, but
it doesn't say which cube.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:32:15 +0100

> I think they might be better expressed in words, or works and

Sorry for the delay. Yes the formula sentence is horrible.  Maybe a
list of color limit should be given: 2, 4, 8 (regular grey), 9 (2x2x2
cc + 1 grey), 2x (3x3x3 cc plus x grey level), 61 (the "visual"
palette), 71 (4x4x4 cc + 13 grey levels, current XFree cvs default),
13x (5x5x5 + x grey), 216 (6x6x6 cc) and 244 (6x6x6 + 28 grey,
XFree-4.2.x default).

> Its still hard to figure out which option to use.

I think the only solution is: try it and/or ask advice to the
fvwm mailing list.

> plain old X applications?

Yes maybe I will try to write something.

> It says QT and GTK use cubes, but

GTK and QT apps which allows color limitation can use any color cube
of the form "RxGxB with 2 <= R <= 6, R = G, > R-1 =< B <= R and B >=
2".

Thanks, Olivier