Subject: FvwmIconMan button colour set bug

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:14:04 +0200

Something I never noticed before:  I'm using a colourset
background for FvwmIconMan:

  *FvwmIconMan: *Colorset 6
  *FvwmIconMan: *FocusColorset 2
  *FvwmIconMan: *FocusAndSelectColorset 2
  *FvwmIconMan: *PlainColorset 6
  *FvwmIconMan: *SelectColorset 6
  *FvwmIconMan: *TitleColorset 6

  *FvwmThemeColorset 2 fg red, bg green
  *FvwmThemeColorset 6 fg red, bg green, dgradient 128 red green

I just noticed that the *Colorset option is drawn into the
individual buttons.  I think some time ago the buttons were simply
transparent, showing the background colour set.  This happens even
if I comment out all the other colour set options except

  *FvwmIconMan: *Colorset 6

Any idea when and why this was changed?  At least when no button
specific colour set is given, the button background should be
transparent again.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:04:46 +0000

>   *FvwmIconMan: *TitleColorset 6

Just for your information, both the latest 2.4.x and 2.5.x support now
and suggest in the man pages the syntax:

  *FvwmIconMan: Colorset 6

>   *FvwmThemeColorset 6 fg red, bg green, dgradient 128 red green

Just for your information, both the latest 2.4.x and 2.5.x support:

  Colorset 2 fg red, bg green

Although 2.4.x still requires FvwmTheme to be run, optional with 2.5.x.
Since you post your config often, can I suggest you to change the syntax
to the latest one for educational purposes?

> specific colour set is given, the button background should be

I don't think anything was changed. At least everything works like it
worked for me. I have your old configuration from 2000 and it a is a bit
different. It uses colorset 8, not 6 for *FvwmIconMan: Colorset, and you
explicitely set this colorset 8 to be Transparent. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:34:13 +0200

> and suggest in the man pages the syntax:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.  From the man page:

  .IP "*FvwmIconMan: [id ]colorset \fIcolorset\fP"

I find that rather confusing.  What is the difference between
these two:

  .IP "*FvwmIconMan: [id ]colorset \fIcolorset\fP"
  .IP "*FvwmIconMan: [id] colorset \fIcolorset\fP"
                     ^^^^^

If a space is required, it should be "[id] colorset".  If no space
is allowed it should be "[id]colorset".  If both versions are
allowed it should be "[id] colorset", just allowing the unspaced
version without mentioning it.  "[id ]" is meaningless to me.
Does it allow spaces?  More than one and other types of whitespace
too?  According to the rules used in the other man pages, "[id ]"
is equivalent to "[id]" or "[ id ]", so I'd guess that whitespace
is explicitly forbidden.

>   Colorset 2 fg red, bg green

Really?  Good you told me, I might never have found it out on my
own ;-)

> to the latest one for educational purposes?

I changed it by hand in the mail but missed the FvwmThemes lines.
Since I often run the same config file on 2.4.x, switching to the
new syntax is out of the question.  I even write some configs in
2.4 syntax and override them later with new 2.5 syntax if it's
available.

> explicitely set this colorset 8 to be Transparent. :)

Yes, you are right.  I must have changed that by accident.  Still
I think transparent buttons should be the default unless the
button specific options are used.  What do you think?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:00:20 +0200

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 04:14:04PM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> transparent, showing the background colour set.

Yes, it was a bug in IconMan. I've fixed it.

> This happens even
> Any idea when and why this was changed?

I do not know. I guess that the logic in IconMan is to use the 
the bg colorset (if set) to the not set buttons colorset.
So, my fix introduce a bug: in this case the buttons should
be transparent. I.e., we should use the same logic than in
FvwmButtons. I will fix this.

> At least when no button

Yes! Maybe I should read the all mail before answering :o)

Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:47:14 +0000

> is equivalent to "[id]" or "[ id ]", so I'd guess that whitespace

How you would document the folowing syntaxes (with and without id):

  *FvwmIconMan: colorset 45
  *FvwmIconMan: 1 colorset 45
  *FvwmIconMan: transient colorset 45

I think the man page is correct, but I see your point. I really don't
care. It was not a good idea in the first place to allow such syntax.
Hopefully the new super-windowlist module will not need multiple ids and
will use module aliases instead. FvwmIconMan supports aliases too.

> Really?  Good you told me, I might never have found it out on my

I didn't document it in 2.4.x, should I? 2.4.x always had a hidden
internal Colorset command, but now this command may be used by users, in
this case it is simply translated to: SendToModule FvwmTheme Colorset.

> 2.4 syntax and override them later with new 2.5 syntax if it's

This is why I only suggested what works with 2.4.8+.

> button specific options are used.  What do you think?

I don't know. Do you mean PlainColorset should use Colorset if not
specified? I thought this is already the case. Or that Colorset should be
forced to be transparent even if not specified (this is bad for a non
swalowed FvwmIconMan).

Regards,
Mikhael.