Subject: fvwm 2.5.4 xview weirdness

From: Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:41:11 -0800 (PST)

Using clicktofocus on Solaris 2.5.1.

Start an xview application (cmdtool/textedit).
Unfocus it, iconify it and reopen it using the windowlist menu
(alternatively,  Rester) Click into the xview app. May want to use multiple
xview windows to help the initial defocusing.

The window won't accept focus....until you bring up a menu in that window
(need not select anything from menu) and then click in the window.

Other anomolies...

Restart is VERY slow to start.
My mozilla icon which used to be white is now grey.

Thanx
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:57:12 -0500

> (need not select anything from menu) and then click in the window.

Lenience?

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:49:03 +0100

--

> An easier way...
> 
> "FvwmIdent" an xview window.
> Click on the identfy window, closing it.
> This will cause the xview not take focus problem.   

--

I can't reproduce any of the problems you described with the
instructions you gave.  If you make a minimal configuration file
demonstrating your problems with *exact* instructions what to do
on the desktop ("click button 1 here", "move mouse ofer there"
...).

--

> Other anomolies...

[snip]

> My mozilla icon which used to be white is now grey.

What makes you think fvwm modifies application provided icons?  As
I mentioned before, we can't do anything about "It doesn't work"
stlye bug reports

> Also, the icons in to left corner upon Restart is back.
> Once opened tho, icons obey iconbox upon iconifying.

Details.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:19:22 -0500

> on the desktop ("click button 1 here", "move mouse ofer there"

I   believe this one   was a   Lenience issue.    I believe  all xview
applications fail to set the input hints.

> > Once opened tho, icons obey iconbox upon iconifying.

I've had this problem in the past with contool, another xview
application.  According to some cryptic comments in my .fvwm2rc,
it can be caused by starting the application with the -WP? arg.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:45:47 +0100

> applications fail to set the input hints.

Yes, that's the focus policy they want.  They want to take the
focus themselves and often get confused when fvwm gives it to
them.  The proper style for an xview application is

  Style ... NoLenience, NeverFocus

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^