Subject: Colorset problems

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:21:27 +0000

1) Transparent FvwmPager is ok (when used with ParentalRelativity), but
Tint does not work in the transparent colorset, it makes horrible colors.

2) When FvwmPager is transparent the fg for desk labels is always taken
from HilightColorset instead of Colorset.

3) When FvwmButtons Colorset has IconTint and the button has icon, the
IconTint is applied to the whole buttons instead of only non-transparent
part. In this case Tint does not have effect. I.e. to tint the whole
FvwmButtons that uses only one colorset, Tint and IconTint should have the
same values (otherwise image background in text based buttons look
different then in icon based ones).

This is all not urgent at all, but should be fixed sometimes, I hope.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:29:33 +0200

> Tint does not work in the transparent colorset, it makes horrible colors.

Hum, tinting the ParentalRelativity colorset is totally experimental
and it can work only under certain special situations.  It can work
with menu (can leads to some colors pbs with animated menu if you do
not "use" Backing Store). Does it works on your machine?
It can work "without" backing store with FvwmIdent, FvwmIconMan,
FvwmButtons by _chance_. Do you try it? In certain case I hope that it
can works (fine) without backing store; for example it can work with
FvwmIconMan button Colorset:

	Colorset 12 Transparent, NoTint         # bg cset
	Colorset 17 Transparent, Tint Black 30  # plain cset

works fine here without backing store. Similar good situation may be
reproduced with FvwmButtons Button/Container (but not the main
FvwmButtons background). FvwmPager is an other story in the view of
all the windows that it manages.

Any way to get a real change that Tint works with ParentalRelative
transparency you should start your Xserver so that it supports
BackingStore (this is the case by default with XFree-3, but with
XFree-4 you must pass the "+bs" option to the server).  You can check
if your server really support BackingStore by using xdpyinfo.  Also
you should set the following Style:
 
 Style FvwmPager ParentalRelativity, BackingStoreOff

It works here and I will be not surprised that it does not work
on your machine.

I do not think that we should support Tinted ParentalRelativity (it
may be undocumented and Tint should be reseted to no tint when
Transparent is used). If one want tinted transparency it should use
the RootTransparent Colorset (not yet documented as I hope to add
support for this everywhere together with clipped drawing before the
feature freeze). For this to work you should use Esetroot or fvwm-root
or FvwmBacker with *FvwmBacker: RetainPixmap[Esetroot] (not yet
documented as this is maybe "dangerous" if you cycle very very quickly
around different page/desk which leads to different bg).

> from HilightColorset instead of Colorset.

I will take a look.

> different then in icon based ones).

I will take a look.

Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:51:37 +0200

> > from HilightColorset instead of Colorset.

Fixed soon.
 
> > different then in icon based ones).

I cannot reproduce this can you send me a minimal config with the icon.

Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:43:03 +0000

On 09 Oct 2002 12:51:37 +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> 
> > > 3) When FvwmButtons Colorset has IconTint and the button has icon,
> > > the IconTint is applied to the whole buttons instead of only
> > > non-transparent part. In this case Tint does not have effect. I.e.
> > > to tint the whole FvwmButtons that uses only one colorset, Tint and
> > > IconTint should have the same values (otherwise image background in
> > > text based buttons look different then in icon based ones).
> 

It is my fault, sorry.

I don't use transparent images when I thought I do, so "non-transparent
part" is the whole button. To get an idea what I am speaking about, load
colors@redmondxp and modules@redmondxp and then execute one of:

  Colorset 10 IconTint red 20
  Colorset 10 Tint red 20

If all images would have alpha channel, it would work as expected.

Regards,
Mikhael.