Subject: CVS migo: * new modules FvwmNewDebug and FvwmGtkDebug, the text and graphical debuggers

From: FVWM CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:49:07 -0500

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	migo	02/10/03 15:49:07

Modified files:
	.              : .cvsignore ChangeLog configure.in 
	bin            : fvwm-perllib.in 
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmDebug: .cvsignore Makefile.am 
	modules/FvwmPerl: FvwmPerl.in 
	perllib        : ChangeLog 
	perllib/FVWM   : Event.pm EventNames.pm Module.pm.in 
	perllib/FVWM/Module: Gtk.pm Tk.pm 
Added files:
	modules/FvwmDebug: FvwmGtkDebug.1 FvwmGtkDebug.in FvwmNewDebug.1 
	                   FvwmNewDebug.in 

Log message:
* new modules FvwmNewDebug and FvwmGtkDebug, the text and graphical debuggers
* perllib: small improvements in API;
_ it is now possible to run a perl-based module in the dummy command line mode

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:29:33 +0000

> * new modules FvwmNewDebug and FvwmGtkDebug, the text and graphical debuggers

I plan to remove the current FvwmDebug (and rename FvwmNewDebug) later
unless you see a good reason not to. FvwmDebug is not currently up to
date anyway and has some problems that FvwmNewDebug does not:

  * it requires maintaining
  * it does not support all argument types well (like pixels, booleans)
  * the output is not very readable/parsable

FvwmNewDebug and FvwmGtkDebug are both fully generic, i.e. they will
support any new/changed packets without modification. Of course for this
to happen, structures in perllib/FVWM/EventNames.pm should be up to date,
please actually update this file when you add/change current module
packets. This class is used in all perl-based modules. In the future it
may be auto-generated, but since Perl library is more complete in this
respect than C module library, it is currently impossible.

FvwmGtkDebug is not a regular static module, it is a pretty useful
dynamical application, it requires Gtk-Perl installed, please test it.
FvwmNewDebug does not require anything special. I plan to add more
functionality to FvwmGtkDebug (Quit button :-), currently simply close a
window) and FvwmNewDebug (--log file option). Both support setting the
initial mask and xmask using command line options --mask and --xmask.

The reason to leave FvwmDebug for now is for reference and since it
currently has -w flag that is not yet supported. There is also a small
problem with M_RESTACK arguments that I will solve in perllib soon.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 00:21:26 +0200

>   * the output is not very readable/parsable

Oh yes, dump it,  I am all for it!  And while you are at it,
remove the debug capabilities from FvwmCommand as well which also
require maintenance and are seriously out of date.

> problem with M_RESTACK arguments that I will solve in perllib soon.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]