Subject: handling transparent colorsets in pager?

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:59:22 -0700

Hello,

I have one desk. I also have 4 pages in my pager.
If I have the terminology right. Built and updated from cvs
today.

As is, colorset 9 works great: inactive pages' backgrouns are red.
Active page backgrounds are blueish (gradients).

However, if I change my Colorset 9 to the following:

   Colorset 9 fg white, bg red, NoShape, Transparent

(notice the "transparent") things start out nicely: my
current page is blue-ish/gradient, and my inactive pages are
transparent.

However, when I change pages, and the previous page goes
inactive, its background still stays blueish. If I move
through all desks, all my desks will have blueish
backgrounds until i restart fvwm.

Did I do something wrong, or are things misbehaving a
little?

Relevant lines included below.

#
# pager
#
# inactive windows
Colorset 5 fg Brown, bg NavajoWhite, Plain, NoShape
# active windows
Colorset 6 fg #E5E2E8, bg #475293, VGradient 20 #6068DB #475293, NoShape
# desk hilighting (active)
Colorset 7 fg grey70, bg #475293, Plain, NoShape
# ballons in the pager
Colorset 8 fg NavajoWhite, bg Brown, Plain, NoShape
# desk hilighting (inactive)
Colorset 9 fg white, bg red, NoShape, Plain

#
#   pager
#
# rows/columns of desks, not virtual desktops which are set with DesktopSize
*FvwmPager: Rows        1        
*FvwmPager: Columns        1           
*FvwmPager: NoStartIconic
*FvwmPager: Font        none
*FvwmPager: Geometry    259x45+134+0
*FvwmPager: SmallFont      -*-times-medium-r-*-*-*-80-*-*-*-*-*-*
*FvwmPager: SolidSeparators
*FvwmPager: Balloons            All
*FvwmPager: BalloonYOffset      +2
*FvwmPager: BalloonBorderWidth  1
*FvwmPager: UseSkipList
# inactive/active window colors
*FvwmPager: WindowColorsets 5 6
# this is how we hilight active in the pager
*FvwmPager: HilightColorset * 7
# this is how we hilight baloons
*FvwmPager: BalloonColorset * 8
# this is how all non-active desks are hilighted
*FvwmPager: Colorset * 9

denis

-- 
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
// icq   : 12359698
// PGP   : http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~denisp/files/pgp.asc
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:09:59 +0000

> backgrounds until i restart fvwm.

Add:

  Style FvwmPager ParentalRelativity

> Did I do something wrong, or are things misbehaving a

I think we will receive a lot of such questions in the future...
Because for some reason, people like transparency.

If we would only have individual window styles, a module could send a
request for fvwm to make the window that is going to be transparent to
be ParentalRelativity.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Denis Perelyubskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:16:38 -0700

>On 20 Oct 2002 15:59:22 -0700, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
  [...]
  >> However, when I change pages, and the previous page
  >> goes inactive, its background still stays blueish. If I
  >> move through all desks, all my desks will have blueish

Great, thanks. Works as expected.
I think if something (I am not sure what at the moment)
could be added to the manpage (maybe around the
"parentalRelativity" section, it'd help alot. 

Reading the manpage

          ParentalRelativity enables clients that use a
          background pixmap  of  type  ParentRelative to
          achieve transparency.  Fvwm modules that support
          transparent  colorsets  require this  setting.
          Opacity is the default and should be used for all
          non-transparent clients for better performance.

I still dont understand what parental relativity is :(
Anyway, things work well here, so I dont really need to know
what it is, just think maybe it'll save some questions to
you guys ... 

thanks very much for quick response.

denis

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:24:37 +0200

> request for fvwm to make the window that is going to be transparent to

Yes, this is in my todo list, but not at the top.
Olivier