Subject: Notification: incoming/935

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:51:26 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/935

Message summary for PR#935
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Alt button not recognized
	Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:51:25 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sun Oct 13 17:51:26 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Alt button not recognized
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:51:25 -0500

Full_Name: Jeremy Slade
Version: 2.5.0
CVS_Date: 
OS: RH 7.3 (2.4.18)
X_Server: XFree86-4.2.0
Submission from: (NULL) (12.252.72.107)

I have a number of hot-keys configured w/ Alt key (e.g. Alt-F4 to close).
Everything works great for a while in a given X login session.  But then
at
some unpredictable time, those shortcuts stop working.  Other apps that use
alt/meta (e.g. xemacs) continue to work no problem, but all the of the WM
hot-keys are ignored.  For example, xemacs gets the Alt-F4 event and
complains  
it is an unrecognized keystroke.

Restarting fvwm doesn't help, it continues to not work until I log out and
log back in.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:54:16 +0200

> Restarting fvwm doesn't help, it continues to not work until I log out and

Sigh.  From the FAQ:

--------------------------- snip ------------------------------------
0.1  A few minutes after fvwm is started my keyboard and mouse
     bindings stop working.  What can I do?

A: Probably your NumLock, CapsLock or ScrollLock key is pressed.  See
   Q 5.5 for more details.

Trivia: In all my years as an fvwm developer this has been by far the
   most frequently asked question.  Whoever can solve this problem so
   that this question is never asked again will be mentioned in big
   letters on the fvwm home page :-)
--------------------------- snip ------------------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers.  You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings.  With XFree86 and fvwm version 2.4.0 or above, the
   right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key, Mouse or
   PointerKey commands in your configuration file and the number
   of modifiers you want to ignore.  If you do not have a
   lightning fast machine or very few bindings you should not
   ignore more than two modifiers.  So do not ignore scroll-lock
   if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server.  The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard
   map.  Pressing these keys has no effect then.  To re-add them
   try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
--------------------------- snip ------------------------------------

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]