Subject: Menu Trouble with FVWM 2.4.10

From: "Andreas M. Kirchwitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:16:32 +0200

Hi FVWM Workers!

I installed version 2.4.10 of FVWM (on Linux 2.4.19, XFree86 4.1.0,
Intel-based; basically a RedHat 7.2 system) and had mysterious
troubles with menus. On my left mouse button, I have a menu on my
root window which has sub-menus (which has sub-menus itself).
Well, I think that's the typical configuration nearly all people
have. ;-) Most of the menu entries come with small images, and
the menu background is a pixmap.

The MenuStyle seetings look like this (if this is of any help):

  MenuStyle "*"   Win, Hilight3DThin, Animation
  MenuStyle "*"   Font -*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
  MenuStyle "*"   Foreground White, Background #bb7070
  MenuStyle "*"   Greyed SlateGrey, TitleUnderlines2, TrianglesRelief
  MenuStyle "*"   VerticalItemSpacing 1 5, VerticalTitleSpacing 4 4
  MenuStyle "*"   MenuFace TiledPixmap /usr/local/include/X11/pixmaps/texture2.xpm

The problem now is that menu entries magically disappear and
reappear while the menu (or a sub-menu) is open. I move the mouse
through the entries, and magically some text entries disappear
(like transparent text, only the background pixmap is seen). While
moving the mouse through the entries, certain entries disappear
and reappear (it's reproducible).

I know, this may sound silly to you but I don't know of a better
way to describe this.

The problem is clearly related to the changes in "fvwm/menus.c"
between version 2.4.9 and 2.4.10. If I replace the new file
(from 2.4.10) with the old file (from 2.4.9) and recompile fvwm2,
the menus work great.

I can send you my .fvwm2rc file if that is of help to you, or I can
try out things in "fvwm/menus.c" for debugging purposes. Whatever
is of help to you to find out what the problem is ...

	Greetings, Andreas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:57:18 +0200

> is of help to you to find out what the problem is ...

I can reproduce the problem and have already committed a fix.  I
won't a new release just for this problem immediately, though.  If
it bothers you too much, just downgrade to 2.4.9 and wait until
2.4.12 is released.  But you shouldn't stick with 2.4.10 as it has
a nasty core dump (fixed in 2.4.11).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe