Subject: Notification: incoming/926

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:33:44 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/926

Message summary for PR#926
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: loss of focus unrecoverable
	Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:33:44 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Sep 21 22:33:44 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: loss of focus unrecoverable
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:33:44 -0500

Full_Name: Ed Grimm
Version: 2.4.6
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.6
X_Server: 
Submission from: (NULL) (199.46.199.231)

If a program raises a popup menu, and that menu is not responsive, or some
other situation where the focus is "locked" in an unresponsive situation,
there is no recovery, short of stoping fvwm (and quite possibly logging
out
thereby), and restarting it.

My most frequent encounter with this is due to Netscape - it does not
respond to user interaction while it is working on rendering a page; this
includes basically everything short of a window delete/destroy.  After it
finishes the rendering, it processes every event it was sent, and it does
so in the state immediately after it finished rendering.  This basically
means that if you requested three different popup menus in that time, you
very well may have three popup menus on your screen.  You can't use any
other window until you finish with a popup menu; this means you can't use
any of them.

In ctwm, I was able to send a SIGHUP (having remotely logged in from
another
computer), and it would clear it up.  In fvwm2, SIGUSR1 is supposedly set
to
call Restart (at least, fvwm.c line 1010 seems to set this), but it reacts
the same as all the signals that call SigDone - the window manager dies.

I'm currently compiling 2.4.11, though I don't feel confident that will do
anything, as none of the bugfixes seem to indicate this annoyance.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]