Subject: Note about where FVWM-snapshots builds

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:48:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi
Could you please give some hints in your daily snapshot tarballs about
on which systems (probably) RPM's can be build with these tarballs and
where it will be impossible.
README or INSTALL files probably would be a good place for this.

And absolutely devastating good would be some note even on
ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/devel/snapshots/
(in the ChangeLog, NEWS or whatever-file) about on which systems the
tarball probably could be used.

For the second time in the last days I tried to build RPM's with the
snapshot.tar.gz on a RedHat 6.2 only to find out after a long build
that it didn't work here.
This situation is extremely frustrating.

Thanks a lot in anticipation.
Regards

Wolfgang Pfeiffer

Please, if you answer, answer to
[email-masked]
too.
-- 
Key on: http://home.t-online.de/home/520050060325-0001/
Key fingerprint = 5FFA E2D1 6DB5 C023 0C5F  3FA7 4E08 5F9F 1560 0BA8

Home Page: www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer/

                            -- END TRANSMISSION --

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:37:34 +0000

> README or INSTALL files probably would be a good place for this.

Ideally, you may create rpms from any snapshot (the hope here is that
if the snapshot was built, rpm will be too). But sometimes the life
is more complex than this.

> tarball probably could be used.

Probably any system, but this is the whole point in snapshots, let people
on different systems test the code. I.e. noone knows in advance which
systems are ok and which are not.

> that it didn't work here.

There was an rpm related problem earlier with a version string.
Then there were compilation problems, then usability problems.
If you would be on fvwm-workers list you would be more up to date.

> This situation is extremely frustrating.

I know how is it when you wait an hour just to get an error.

But I just downloaded the snapshot and created rpms without problems.
I got some problems with FvwmScript (strange) when I tried to be smart
and cut half of the way, i.e. repacking the snapshot and run "rpm-this".
But the proper procedure that does not depend on any existing tarball:

  ./configure
  make rpm-dist

always works for me. Even tried with 2 autoconf versions to be sure.

Next time, when you have an error, send more output lines, not just
"Bad exit status", but something that looks like gcc/make errors.
If you are not sure, just send the output of these 2 commands to me.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:12:13 +0000

The last lines from the log had the actual error:

dynamic.c:23: X11/Xdefs.h: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [dynamic.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/fvwm-2.5.4/modules/FvwmButtons'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/fvwm-2.5.4/modules'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/fvwm-2.5.4'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/fvwm-2.5.4'
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.59605 (%build)

Hopefully tomorrow's snapshot will be built successfully with XFree 3.x.

Regards,
Mikhael.