Subject: FVWM Tutorial

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:51:12 -0400

Notice section 7 of the FAQ:

7. Hints and Examples from the Developers

     7.1  An easy way to test new configurations.
     7.2  Using shell commands for configuration.
     7.3  How to start applications on a page or desk other than the
          current.
     7.4  How to start applications on a page or desk other than the
          current without moving the viewport to the new page or desk.
     7.5  A more efficient MWM menu style.
     7.6  Placing menus on the screen.
     7.7  Are you flipping pages by accident when moving the mouse
          close to the border of the screen?
     7.8  Lining up your windows and icons.
     7.9  Moving the mouse/focus/page with the keyboard.
    7.10  The cat safe desktop :-)
    7.11  Lowering and moving windows.
    7.12  Toggling windows on and off.
    7.13  Starting applications by clicking on an icon.
    7.14  Positioning a window using arithmetic.

Its written more like a tutorial than a FAQ.
(Except for the organization.)

I'm not crazy about the idea of starting a tutorial.
Our man page is very complete, and the FAQ covers most of the loose
ends.  Sending the user to a third place sounds less than
ideal.

Anyone else think section 7 needs to be adjusted somehow?
Perhaps the items should be rephrased as questions and moved to
one of the other sections.

I don't think a using new language for documentation helps.

Maybe a new FAQ question "0.2 How do I get started using FVWM?".

-- 
Dan Espen                               E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214          Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:30:36 +0000

> 7. Hints and Examples from the Developers

[...]

> I don't think a using new language for documentation helps.

While I think that a short introduction with topics "Configuration files",
"Menus", "Window Decorations", "Styles", "Modules", "Fonts" may help, I
don't know how to make it both short and functional.

I think a list of all (169) available commands and a list of all styles
with a 50-char description may help. I may create such list, but maybe
someone with a native English can do this?

I think examples are the best way to learn. unfortunately we almost did
not update sample.fvwmrc/ and docs/ examples for years.

I have a set of hints - small samples doing one task, ready to be Read:

%  ls fvwm/TIPS/
center-window           init-splash-screen       trans-1x1.xpm
colored-buttons         maximize-full-screen     unconstraned-move
cool-window-shading     maximize-with-top-panel  unfocus
desktop-icon-launchers  new-window-event         warp-to-screen-center
extra-button            place-gtk-apps           where-is-my-pointer
fvwmauto                restore-focus            window-switching-shortcuts
fvwmresizemove          snap-to-rectangle
hide-unhide-window      tinted-background

Some are outdated (i.e. have better solutions now), but some are good.
I think others have more tips that we may put somewhere to learn from.
The problem is that they should be maintained, i.e. revised from time to
time to ensure they still work... Any volunteer is welcome.

> Maybe a new FAQ question "0.2 How do I get started using FVWM?".

Good with me.

Regards,
Mikhael.