Subject: Notification: incoming/916

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:25:51 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/916

Message summary for PR#916
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: disappearing mail
	Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:25:51 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Wed Aug 14 04:25:51 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: disappearing mail
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 04:25:51 -0500

Full_Name: Frederik Fouvry
Version: 2.4.0
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux 2.3.42
X_Server: X11R6
Submission from: (NULL) (134.96.68.17)

Using the taskbar mail notification and xbiff (redundant, but there you
go)
I noticed that mail was sometimes delivered to my mailbox, and removed
a few seconds later.  I only ever noticed it when I used procmail (in
which case I had a backup of the message).

I switched off the mail notifier, and it doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Problem: I didn't manage to reproduce the error.  It just seemed to happen
every now and then, and it seemed to be more likely to happen when I sent
messages to myself (as test or in (B)CC).  Of course, in those cases I was
expecting the mail, and a disappearing mail would be noticed.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:03:28 +0000

> expecting the mail, and a disappearing mail would be noticed.

FvwmTaskBar does not write to a mail box, only reads from it using
open(mailpath, O_RDONLY, 0);

biff (I don't know about xbiff) notifies about a new email even it is
immediately processed by procmail and moved to another mail box or to
/dev/null.

FvwmTaskBar may show a non-updated status that will be updated only on the
next time interval.

All this makes it unprobable that FvwmTaskBar causes a mail being
disappeared. Maybe there is an error in your .procmailrc?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Frederik Fouvry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:41:02 +0200 (MEST)

| FvwmTaskBar does not write to a mail box, only reads from it using
| open(mailpath, O_RDONLY, 0);
| 
| biff (I don't know about xbiff) notifies about a new email even it is
| immediately processed by procmail and moved to another mail box or to
| /dev/null.

Xbiff only notices mail in the mailbox it's watching - in my
experience.  So after procmail did it's thing.

| FvwmTaskBar may show a non-updated status that will be updated only on the
| next time interval.

It happened to be so that the taskbar noticed it before xbiff,
and then the mail disappeared (if it did) before xbiff could
notice it.  The taskbar updated its status accordingly (the
envelope was displayed only for a few seconds).  (BTW: the mail
inbox is mounted from a remote machine (not automounted).)

| All this makes it unprobable that FvwmTaskBar causes a mail being
| disappeared. Maybe there is an error in your .procmailrc?

I tried to log it, but in all cases, the log displays everything
normal up to delivery.  That's why I decided to write to you
rather than to the procmail list (which was what I intended to do
first; they would have asked what the logfile indicated, and my
anwer would be: nothing unusual).

I guess I should set the MAILCHECK for xbiff to a very short time
to see if it occurs again.  I've decided against using the mail
notification in the task bar.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Frederik