Subject: odd highlighed window problem with 2.4.9

From: Charles Hines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:39:41 -0400

Howdy all.

I switched to v2.4.9 the other day (from v2.4.3) and noticed this odd thing...
I use a modified version of xbuffy (v3.3) that I changed to never take the
focus (since it pops up a new window briefly when mail comes in), and after
switching to v2.4.9 I noticed the focus appearing to change, but not really...

The xbuffy window will get highlighted like it's got the focus, but the focus
never actually changes.  And I can't restore the correct window highlighting
until I click in yet another window (I use click to focus, in case you hadn't
guessed) and back to the original one.

I was going to look into this problem myself, but since I haven't looked at
the code in a real long time I figured I'd be better off just asking if anyone
has seen similar behavior first.  And since Dominik usually figures these
things out about 2 minutes after they are posted to the list... :)

If no one has any ideas off the tops of their heads, I'll look into it myself
tommorrow.

Thanks,
Chuck

-- 
Charles K. Hines   <[email-masked]>   <[email-masked]>
Principal Scientist at ReQuest Technologies Inc   (http://www.ReQuestTech.com/)

  "dis ting could have possabiwities if I put my twisted widdle mind to it!"
                                                        - Bugs Bunny

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:18:44 +0000

On 29 Aug 2002 17:39:41 -0400, Charles Hines wrote:
> 
> I switched to v2.4.9 the other day (from v2.4.3) and noticed this odd
> thing... I use a modified version of xbuffy (v3.3) that I changed to
> never take the focus (since it pops up a new window briefly when mail
> comes in), and after switching to v2.4.9 I noticed the focus appearing
> to change, but not really...

There may be a bug with highlighting, I don't know.

But you may just set NeverFocus or GrabFocusOff on xbuffy instead of
patching.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Charles Hines <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:49:23 -0400

>>>>> "Mikhael" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

>> to change, but not really...

Mikhael> There may be a bug with highlighting, I don't know.

Yup, I believe there may be...I started to look at the focus code last night
but didn't get very far.  Will try again in a little while.

Although as I was typing this note I did just notice a potential change in
behavior from yesterday...xbuffy just popped up a new message window and the
highlight didn't change.  But then when I clicked in the main window (to pop
up the message window again) that was when the highlight switched (focus did
not change however).  I could have sworn that the popup windows were causing
troubles yesterday too...

Mikhael> But you may just set NeverFocus or GrabFocusOff on xbuffy instead of
Mikhael> patching.

True, and I actually expected that answer but didn't think to explain myself
further until after sending out the note. :)

My modifying of xbuffy is a holdover from way back before those fvwm settings
existed.  In case you're curious, I'm setting the InputHint to false on the
main window and all the popups, as well as removing the WM_TAKE_FOCUS atom on
them as well (i.e. setting the input model to "No Input").

Chuck