Subject: Re: FVWM: Re: The "great focus policy rewrite"

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:49:59 +0200

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 06:41:33PM +0200, Giuseppe Della Ricca wrote:
> Hi Dominik,
> 
> I've just updated to CVS, and I've found your fix:
> 
>         * fvwm/style.c (merge_styles):
>         fixed style defaults getting stuck to on once set
> 
> it works fine, thanks !! 
> 
> But now, I see again the problem I described in the thread "The "great 
> focus policy rewrite"", i.e. while clicking in the middle of a window, the 
> window itself is focussed but not raised any more.
> 
> As in that thread, 'FvwmAuto 0' is a possible workaround.

Can you make a minimal config for this?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: [email-masked], phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:31:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Dominik,

> Can you make a minimal config for this?

done !

the single line:

Style * ClickToFocus

works: if I open 2 xterms, I move one to overlap the other, and then I 
click on the window (W) area of the one on the bottom, this window is both 
focussed and raised.

If I add _any_ Style line matching the xterms windows, like

Style * BorderWidth 5

or

Style XTerm BorderWidth 5

whatever, no reference to the 'focus', then if I in the same setup I click 
on the xterm on the bottom, it is focussed but not raised.

If I move the 'Style * ClickToFocus' line below all the other Style 
statements, then the fucus+raise works again.

Please let me know if I'm not clear enough in my description: it's often 
difficult to write down what's clear when looking at a screen ...

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:50:28 +0200 (CEST)

> statements, then the fucus+raise works again.

Even after this workaround, the focus is not remembered across desk 
switching.

I don't know if this can be related or not to the other problem.

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:53:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Dominik,

> The description is very clear, but it works well here.

today I updated again (cvs up -Ad), but the things I've described are 
still there.

I've restarted my X server from scratch.

1- I thought you had fixed the 'ClickToFocus implies GrabFocus as default' 
   stuff, but I still see newly created windows not being focussed

2- the 'ClickToFocus focusses but doesn't raise windows' stuff for me 
   depends on the position of the 'Style * ClickToFocus' statement: it 
   works only if it is the last Style statement.

3- the fact that a fucussed window loses focus after a desk switch 
   depends, too, on the position of the 'Style * ClickToFocus' statement:
   it _stops_ working if this statement is the last Style statement.

Please let me know if I can help somehow.

I know that if nobody but me is seeing these things, and you can't 
reproduce them, we are stuck.

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:55:52 +0200 (CEST)

>    it _stops_ working if this statement is the last Style statement.

BTW,

I seem to remember (but I may be wrong !) that focussed window were 
conserved not only at 'desk' level, but also at 'page' level, i.e. it was 
possible to have one focussed window in each 'page'.

With the current CVS, there's only one focussed window in each 'desk' and 
it's clear by looking at the colors of the mini windows in the Pager that 
if a non-focussed window in the current 'page' is given focus, the focus 
is removed from another window in a different 'page' of the same 'desk'.

cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:13:56 -0400

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:55:52 +0200 (CEST)

> possible to have one focussed window in each 'page'.

	Oh, I certainly hope not! It often happens that I have situation where I'm
entering input into a focused window that is not in the current viewport (i.e.,
is on a different page) while viewing output in a related window on the current
page. Having the focus forced to a different window on a page switch would be an
unacceptable behavior for me. At the very least, it would need to be optional.

	However, I've never seen such behavior. If it used to happen, then I think that
either 1) there is/was some option that I've never noticed that allowed this
(quite possible, we've got lots of options!), or 2) a bug-like feature crept
into some older release that you were using.

> is removed from another window in a different 'page' of the same 'desk'.

	Well, that has to be...there can be only one window that has the focus at any
given time. But I think what you're expecting to see is for the focus to revert
to the previous window if you switch back to the page where it's located.

	Is it possible that sometime in the past you observed the following? Say you
have the situation you describe above. A window on a different page has the
focus; you switch the focus to a window on the current page; then you close the
newly-focused window, and focus reverts to the window on the other page (the
last window focused); when you switch back to the other page, you see that the
previous window indeed has the focus (because the focus was actually transferred
to it before you switched back to that page, while it was still off the visible
screen). If so, I don't think it was intentional behavior, and has been fixed.

	I seem to recall writing a fix several years ago to correct this behavior,
since it's not a good idea to transfer the focus to a window that the user can't
see. It's fine for an off-screen window to have the focus (as I said, I use that
all the time), but we shouldn't suddenly transfer the focus to an invisible
window.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:00:49 +0200

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:37:24 +0200

> possible to have one focussed window in each 'page'.

Yor memory is failing you.  It never worked like this.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^