Subject: Re: CVS olicha: * Implemented a new color limit method

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:43:49 +0200

Hello, Sorry for the delay of the answer. I will try to answer to Dan,
Dimtry and Tim in this mail.

First I have a very basic video card: a neomagic card (I can run the
neomagic and the vesa XFree drivers).

Secondly, as Dimtry says and it is the most important point, any
server which support the render extension pre-allocate some colors
(and I think that the only way to avoid this is at XFree compile time
as render is a builtin extension).  At depth 8, XFree-4.2 pre-allocate
244 colors (the 6x6x6 color cube + 28 grey) and a "recent" cvs version
pre-allocate 85 colors (the 4x4x4 color cube + 21 grey's).  BTW it
seems that the grey are not used (by the render ext) in Pseudo Color
mode and the cube is not use in Gray Scale mode (maybe a bug ...).

There are no pbs with XFree-4.2 and gtk, imlib{2} and qt apps because they
all use the 6x6x6 color cube by default. There are problems with gtk-2 apps
(private colormap) and the XFree cvs because gtk want at least a 5x5x5
color cube (qt "always" use a 6x6x6 color cube plus an "allocation in
the color map method" if a color in the cube cannot be allocated. So
no pbs with qt but the render effort to do not waste the cmap at start
up is not useful).

I get no problems with all the app I can run by chance (and because
the 6x6x6 cc is a quite regular palette). But when I implement an
"allocation in the color map" method in fvwm I succeed to produce
problems (e.g., by changing my netscape bg color to a well chosen
one). Dan, please accept my apologies.

Finally, about xstcmap and the associated Xcms* Xlib functions,
I've rapidly read the doc and it seems that these stuff is for
private colormaps. Applications which want to use a private cmap
choose a (red, green, blue or regular) palette defined by xstcmap.
This allows apps to share the same palettes (but not the colors). 

I've write down a new color limit method. I will comment more one
this soon.

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]