Subject: synchronous DESTROY_WINDOW handling in FvwmEvent?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:23:01 +0200

Mikhael, I found this code snippet in FvwmEvent.c:

  /* migo (19-Aug-2000): synchronize on M_DESTROY_WINDOW */
  SetSyncMask(fd, M_DESTROY_WINDOW);

I believe this causes fvwm and FvwmEvent to freeze sometimes when
the pointer is grabbed and windows are spawned and killed really
fast.  The best way to reproduce this is to enable the "autoraise"
config I posted in another thread, then open any gtk application
(e.g. gedit) and tear out its menu or tool bar.  Drag it around
(using the button on the menu bar, not the window title) so that
it's repeatedly swallowed by the gedit window and spit out again.
Sometimes it takes only two seconds until FvwmEvent and fvwm have
a deadlock, sometimes I can drag it around for five minutes
without any problems.

I still don't understand the circumstances that lead to the
deadlock.  Any additional debug code (frpintfs, efence, etc.)
dramatically reduces the probability of this happening, so its
certainly a race condition somewhere.  If you can help with this
problem, please do.

By the way, what was that patch good for in the first place?

P.S.:  It may be a problem with packets that are not sent
completely.  I notice this effect in the past with FvwmConsole.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 13:06:01 +0000

> completely.  I notice this effect in the past with FvwmConsole.

There was one bug report (saying that the destroy_window behaviour
changed since 2.2.4) that I fixed (in both FvwmEvent and PositiveWrite):

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0008/msg00011.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0008/msg00133.html

If you know a better fix, do it.
I don't think I will have a time for FvwmEvent debugging this/next week.

Regards,
Mikhael.