Subject: Re: FVWM: Key binding to raise specific window?

From: "Jed S. Baer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:33:28 -0600

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:15:28 +0200
Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I'm using v 2.2.5
> 
> You should consider upgrading to 2.4.8, the latest stable release.
> It has a lot of fancy new stuff - and maybe equally important -
> the 2.4.x series are the only supported stable releases.  Now to
> your question:

I actually installed 2.4.7 from the Sourceforge RPM. I encountered some
minor problems with it, and went back (this was just this morning, after I
posted my question). I guess it would be inconsiderate of me to mention
that, without mentioning what they were, so here goes.

I was somewhat disappointed that I couldn't install the RPM without first
obtaining libstroke. I know a lot of people consider it to be really
nifty, but at some point I just get tired of having to intall yet another
piece of software I'll never use on my system, to be able to get something
else I do use. I don't mean that to sound like a criticism, and I hope
that should I decide to build from source, that --disable=libstroke, or
it's equivalent, is an option. But at the moment, I'm not going to
download the tarball for the sake of making that discovery - I have very
limited network bandwidth. I have to admit though, that it's pretty
unlikely that I'll build from source.

There is a difference in the way menus are drawn. I don't know if it's a
bug. I looked through the 2.4.7 NEWS file for any mentions of menu changes
that sounded like what I was seeing, and didn't see any.

MenuStyle * FVWM
MenuStyle * Foreground seashell, Background DarkSlateGrey
MenuStyle * Greyed DarkSlateBlue
MenuStyle * Font -adobe-utopia-medium-r-*-*-19-*-100-100-*-*-iso8859-*
MenuStyle * MenuFace DGradient 128 4 \
	DarkSlateGrey 10 \
	DarkSlateGrey 58 \
	SlateBlue 22 \
	DarkSlateGrey 10 black
MenuStyle * SidePic /home/jbaer/images/sideflash.xpm

MenuStyle msmaug FVWM
MenuStyle msmaug Foreground seashell, Background DarkSlateGrey
MenuStyle msmaug Greyed DarkSlateBlue
MenuStyle msmaug Font
-adobe-utopia-medium-r-*-*-19-*-100-100-*-*-iso8859-* MenuStyle msmaug
MenuFace DGradient 128 4 \	DarkSlateGrey 10 \
	DarkSlateGrey 58 \
	SlateBlue 22 \
	DarkSlateGrey 10 black
MenuStyle msmaug SidePic /home/jbaer/images/dgreen_grad.xpm

A menu of style msmaug has a vertical bar, the width of the pixmap, the
color DarkSlateGrey, running along the left side, while other menus don't.
I realize my responsibility as a user is to provide good bug reports, but
please understand that at the moment, there are very good reasons why I'm
not able to do so. My apologies. dgreen_grad.xpm is transparent, except
for some greek letters running vertically. I don't imagine it matters that
they're greek - any 5 letter word would do, or any arrangement of
non-transparent pixels for that matter. At any rate, I like the way this
looks in 2.2, but not in 2.4. I should be able to easily reproduce it at a
later time. How much later, I can't say just now.

And, 2.4.7 apparently has problems with swallowing xdaliclock:

*FvwmButtons(2x1 Swallow xdaliclock 'Exec /usr/local/bin/xclock')

 -- /usr/local/bin/xclock --

  xdaliclock -24 -noseconds -visual best \
    -memory low -bg deepolive -fg palegold \
    -font -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-100-100-*-*-*-* \
    -geometry 60x20 &

I wish I could supply you with more info. Perhaps you can reproduce it?
Maybe on a restart.

> > What I would like to be able to do is bind a key to a function which
> > would raise my fvwmbuttons.
> 
> Bind this command to a key:
> 
>   Next (CirculateHit, FvwmButtons) Raise

Ah. Or should I say, "Ach!". I clearly had my brain looking for something
more complex. Thank you for the assistance.

> The WindowId command is mainly used with modules like FvwmEvent or
> FvwmAuto.  They have an option to append the window id to the
> commands they send to fvwm.  Also, you can reference the window id
> with the '$w' variable in commands, for example:
> 
>   Mouse 1 5 n Echo $w

A nifty little trick. ;-)

> Prints the window id when title button 5 is pressed.  It's usually
> only needed in complicated setups.

I try to keep things simple. My second favourite window manager is WMX.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Best,
jed
-- 
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]