Subject: busy-cursor feature request

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:53:25 +0200

It would be nice it it were possible to activate the 'busy' cursor
only after a certain span of time has passed, maybe 0.2 seconds. I
find it rather irritating to get the busy cursor when I press a
title button with a complex function that completes before I even
release the button and still get the cursor flashing to the watch
for a moment.  This probably involves using an alarm timer.  What
do you say, Olivier?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:37:11 +0200

> for a moment.  This probably involves using an alarm timer.  What

I am not sure we should (or I am able to) implement an alarm timer
for this. At the origin the busy cursor patch display the busy cursor
at user request (BusyCursor cmd) when one of the following cmd was
used: ModuleSynchronous, Read, Wait, dynamic menu, Recapture. The
default is to not display the busy cursor at all, but note that you
remove the busy cursor for Recapture (it was the only context where
it was on by default), I do not know why :o)
After that the busy cursor was added when fvwm updates the windows
styles and in destroy_scheduled_windows. These are not configurable.
Maybe it should be? And also maybe the defaults should change: display
the busy cursor with dynamic menu (surely a good idea), Wait and Read?

Ah I see! I think that the busy cursor you see does not come from
the "busy cursor patch". I am not sure, but I think it comes from
WaitForButtonsUp in events.c. If you replace

	GrabEm(CRS_WAIT, GRAB_NORMAL);
by
	GrabEm(None, GRAB_NORMAL);

in WaitForButtonsUp, do you still get this irritating busy cursor? 
Maybe this is the solution?

Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:56:27 +0200

> Maybe this is the solution?

Yes, you're right.  I've added a short delay before the wait
cursor is used (20 passes through the loop).  That's enough to
prevent the watch cursor if you just click on the button.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^