Subject: Stroke Functionality

From: Daniel Henninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:28:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folk,

I haven't had a lot of time lately so I really haven't looked at the menu
code at all like I was planning on doing.  I have, however, come up with
something else I'd like to work on if no one has any qualms with it.  I
use the Stroke functionality quite a bit now and would like to do some
work on it.  Specifically, I'd like to change the way it does "feedback"
when you successfully perform a matching stroke.  Currently, it can change
your cursor to a "busy" icon for a brief moment which is very hard for me
to catch and notice if I've done it right, so I'm thinking about coding
some alternative feedback methods, such as maybe the name of whatever is
being run and having it fade away.  I'm not sure what I'm going to come up
with yet, but is anyone working with Stroke right now and does anyone mind
some possible enhancements in it's behavior?

Daniel

-- 
/\\\----------------------------------------------------------------------///\
\ \\\      Daniel Henninger           http://www.vorpalcloud.org/        /// /
 \_\\\      North Carolina State University - Systems Programmer        ///_/
    \\\                   Information Technology <IT>                  ///
     """--------------------------------------------------------------"""

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 00:46:18 +0200

> some possible enhancements in it's behavior?

I do not think that someone works with Stroke at the present time.
Regards, Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 16:44:55 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:28:39AM -0400, Daniel Henninger wrote:
> I'm not sure what I'm going to come up

Feel free to make patches there (but remember to use the latest
code from CVS to start with).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:50:59 +0100

>>Specifically, I'd like to change the way it does "feedback"
>>to catch and notice if I've done it right
>>
Why not make the function that the stroke calls run xmessage or 
something to display a banner for a short while?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Daniel Henninger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:52:09 -0400 (EDT)

> something to display a banner for a short while?

Well, for no other reason than I wanted it to be prettier than what
xmessage can do.  (or at least I haven't seen xmessage do anything pretty
before and it couldn't last time I'd messed with it)  Also, there would
be a delay in bringing up xmessage after the stroke was completed.
Impatient people (like myself) might think it didn't 'take' and try again.
That's actually the reason I wanted to do this in the first place,
because I perform the stroke for bringing up netscape, and then either
have to go over to an xterm and perform a ps to see if it actually caught,
or I wait a sec and then try again assuming I missed it, only to have two
copies come up.  And lord knows netscape under unix gets rude when there
are two copies of it runnings at the same time for the same user...

Anyway, unless there are objections to me messing with it at all, I'll see
what I can come up with.

Daniel