Subject: Move

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:00:36 -0700

I'm unaware if it's my setup since both the functions are called the
same.  However if I click my titlebar to move a window I get snap
attraction like I'm supposed to.  But if I use my alt-click window to
move a window the snap attraction doesn't function, either to the screen
or to other windows.  I was just wondering if this is a feature or a
bug.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:44:19 +0000

> or to other windows.  I was just wondering if this is a feature or a

It is a feature, release Alt to enable snap again.

It seems that choosing Alt for this (the only unused modifier) confuses
some people, since they have Move bound to Alt-Mouse2 or similar.

I would use Shift for disabling snap, but it is used in case of keyboard.

A question to people who move and resize windows using keyboard arrows.
Do you use Shift and arrows? Can I replace the meaning of Shift and Alt?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:54:46 +0100

> or to other windows.  I was just wondering if this is a feature or a

It's a feature that is going to cause a lot of question like this as
soon as it gets included in a major release.

To get snap attraction just release the alt key while holding down the
mouse button. You can press and release the alt key to switch on/off the
snap attraction as many times as you like during a move.

I think it might be better if snap attraction were only toggled when the
alt key is toggled during a move. What I mean is that a move invoked
with the alt key down should have snap attraction on until the alt key
is released and then pressed again. That would make it more backward
compatible and still allow the feature.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:08:56 +0000

> compatible and still allow the feature.

Maybe, although this is not the logic used for other modifiers + arrows.

Feel free to change it.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason Kibblewhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:07:29 -0700

> It is a feature, release Alt to enable snap again.

Well lookie at that, I was unaware that I could release the modifier and
still keep it in the move function.  Well that certainly solves my
problem. Thanks.

---

From: "S. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:19:17 -0600

> still keep it in the move function.  Well that certainly solves my

I used to think this was a bug too, but now I like the way it works.
sometimes it is nice to be able to temporarily disable snapping for
a precise window movement, :-)

thanks!
sa