Subject: slow typing in 2.4.6 fvwm2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:25:45 +0200 (EET)

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anybody else got a similar problem as me. 
A bit about my system:

RedHat 7.2 Kernel:2.4.9-31 
Accelerated X 2.1.4 Summit 3D
fvwm2 2.4.6
ATI Radeon 8500 AGP 64 MBRAM

Problem: Sometimes I have seen a slow typing problem. As far as I logged 
on, via gdm, and open a xterm and try to type something in it, everything 
is delayed. The characters show up really slow (10,15 secs) - I tried to 
see if xev reports something. The same story, xev 
is delayed when trying to press any key. The answer back from xev is 
correct but is delayed.

The mouse works fine. If I switch to VT (Alt-F1) everything is fine.

This is happening only sometimes. Sometimes is fine.

Under GNOME everything is fine. The same KDE. The problem never occured 
when using these WMs.

Could be this a problem with fvwm2 ? 

Thank you very much,
stefan

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:24:47 -0500

[email-masked] writes:
> Problem: Sometimes I have seen a slow typing problem.

I've never had this type of problem.

When you experience the problem, start "top" and see if you
can see any program using too much CPU or memory.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:43:14 +0200 (EET)

Thanks for answer. This is really strange. I think is not a fvwm2 problem,
but I also installed OpenMotif 2.2 and the same problem occured also 
there. The only WMs which are not affected are: GNOME, KDE.

I think I have found what is going on:

Scenario: If I am under gdm (not logged) and my NumLock is off this 
problem occurs. If I am back in gdm and put the Num Lock on the problem is 
gone. 

Top shows a idle of 90% , then and top 50% xterm 50%, then an X 87%, and 
changing all the time. 

So if my NumLock is off this keyboard slow problem occurs ... crrr this is 
really strange. Some ideas guys ?

stefan

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:04:39 -0500

> really strange. Some ideas guys ?

I'm guessing:

1. Ask Xig (it sounds like an X problem)

2. Use xmodmap to disable the numlock key.

3. Look in your Xserver configuration files and documentation
for anything related to numlock.

(I searched the Xig site for numlock and fvwm with no success.)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:15:57 +0200 (EET)

Hi back,

I tried several times to simulate this. It worked the trick. Press NumLock 
on , login under gdm, worked fine. Logout , press NumLock off the slow 
problem occured. 

Then I tested xdm, then kdm. Both worked fine without any matter if 
NumLock was Off or On.

When I went back to gdm and tried the trick with NumLock everything was 
fine. I couldn't simulate at all. Everything was fine like this delay 
never occured. Something is fragile in here , but the problem is I can't 
point it out.

XIG's guys said they have never seen this on their systems.
 
thanks for tips, I will see what I can do.