Subject: fvwm 2.4.6

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:22:54 +0100

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:15:46AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> 
> Yes.  It's fixed in the next maintenance release (2.4.6).  I'm
> planning to release it within this week.
>

There is still one open issue for 2.4.6 it is the compound text
patch. I recall the problem:

If the locale gives a charset != ISO-8859-1 (or a subset of this
charset) and if the title of an application with i18n support
has non ASCII characters then the application gives a COMPOUND_TEXT
WM_NAME hints (same for the icon title).
So if fvwm is compiled without multibyte support the window title
contains string(s) of the form ?*ISO8859-15?* as the WM_NAME is
taken as a STRING.
Notes: - ISO-8859-1 is now obsolete in the all Europe
       - It seems that it is not easy to filter a COMPOUND_TEXT string
         by hands
       - We've get at least 3 bugs report on this from the bug tracking
         system

So I would like to apply the patch that fix this. I've not
yet applied this patch to 2.4.6 (it is applied to 2.5.x:
COMPOUND_TEXT, on by default) because we do not take a decision
about the default. I think that this patch should be on by default
but Dan was not very happy with this. I've got one positive
feedback from Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov which test the patch
with koi8-r and I test it with ISO8859-15.
So I need one more advice from an fvwm workers.

Olivier 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:04:37 +0100

> So I need one more advice from an fvwm workers.

Is that issue so pressing that we want to delay 2.4.6 for it?
There have been a number of fixes that people are waiting for.
I wanted to keep making maintenance releases as long as fixes from
the development branch can be back ported with only small
modifications, so we don't need to hurry.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:12:14 -0500

Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> writes:
> but Dan was not very happy with this.

If I remember this, I observed that using one of the compound
text functions caused another shared library to load under Solaris.

Its a drawback, but not a major problem for me.
I've pretty much stopped using Solaris on the desktop.

-- 
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [email-masked]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570
Piscataway, NJ 08854
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]