Subject: PositiveWrite problems

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:34:34 +0000

It seems that FvwmEvent has communication problems that result in freeze
of 30 seconds in PositiveWrite.

I get such freeze at random times for all my FvwmEvent instances since
2.3.x versions. It seems recently there are more freezes, probably because
enter_window and leave_window events are added. It is hard to reproduce on
purpose. One guy said he can reproduce this on almost every FvwmEvent
start or restart, but I can't do this with his config. I sometimes see
this when some kind of grabbing is done (new window added while with the
busy cursor) or on a moderate system load, but this is not deterministic.

The error is this:

[FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor from 'FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Alias':
- data available=N
- terminate signal=N

The strange thing is that the offender (FvwmEvent) is not killed as would
be guessed from the source code, but remains to be functional after the
freeze until the next freeze.

What is the best way to debug this?
Chris, are you here?

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:20:15 +0000

I just enabled my FvwmEvent that listens to enter_window and leave_window,
similarly to what Dominik posted some time ago, and I see how to reproduce
the freeze for sure (just start the button bar that is auto raised/lowered
or shaded on enter/leave, then while it swallows xclock/xload, enter and
leave some window). I will debug this later. In this situation FvwmEvent
is killed after the freeze, not something that I experienced previously.

It may be harder with FvwmEvent that listens to add_window, I still (for
months) can't find a way to reproduce the problem for sure and it was not
killed after the freeze for unknown reason.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:17:11 +0200

> killed after the freeze for unknown reason.

As I posted in the past, FvwmConsole and FvwmIconMan have similar
problems.  FvwmIconMan sometimes exits with the same message.
FvwmConsole can be overrun by terminal input:  paste long scripts
into the FvwmConsole window fast and one of the pipes (either
between FvwmConsole and FvwmConsoleC or between FvwmConsole and
fvwm2, I don't know which) starts to lose some of the transmitted
characters.  This may or may not be related.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]