Subject: Tear off menus

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:50:38 +0000

Hi Dominik,
	I'm just wondering if tear of menus would be better off in a module? 
Making fvwm create its own top level windows makes it more vulnerable to 
being killed (try xkill when you don't have anything important on 
screen). I seem to remember scwm having the same problem, I'm not sure 
what they did.

Is it possible to fork and reopen the display?

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:46:03 +0100

> 	I'm just wondering if tear of menus would be better off in a module? 

I'd be much happier if the menu code was clean enough to be put in
a module.  It's too tightly woven into fvwm right now and that
causes a lot of problems with tear off menus.  At the moment, fvwm
can not do anything useful while in a menu without risking
crashes.  This is one of the reasons for the brain dead focus
handling with tear off menus (needs keyboard input but grabs the
keyboard itself instead of using the normal focus policy).

> Is it possible to fork and reopen the display?

I don't think so.  The forked process loses the connection to the
original fvwm and can't trigger any menu actions without
interfering.  No, if we need a second process it must be a regular
module.

I'm open for any ideas how to solve this, but we should postpone
this discussion for two or three weeks.  I still have to do some
more basic work on tear off menus until the end of the week.
After that I'll be skiing for about ten days.  After that there is
plenty of time to thinks about it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]