Subject: Re: FVWM: facing problem in fvwm2.4.4

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:07:45 +0100

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 03:43:14PM +0530, Srivathsa Rao U wrote:
> hi,
> 
>      I switched my WM from 2.0 to 2.4.4.
>      Now every thing working fine & i got the settings how I want. But
>  Iam facing problem with nedit.
>  
>      Iam working in Unix & using solaris system (sun7).
>  
>      Iam using " nedit" as text editer everywhere. But after i started
>  using  new fvwm2.4.4 the size of this nedit is not fixed . For some
> file
>  which have more memory like  700k the size ( geometry) is very big .
> But
>  it is maintaing the height & only the width is increasing (may be
> arround some 5 time of screen width) .
>  It is crossing window size also.
>  
>  why it is like that. ?  How can i correct this?
>  This problem was not there in fvwm 2.0
>  
>  my default geometry for nedit is 80X40.
>  
>  This is not only my problem . here whoever using 2.4.4  they are also
>  facing this.
>  pls give the solution .
> 
> nedit version - 5.1
> I didnt downloaded nedit at the time of fvwm. It was there.
> In my .Xdefault file i setted nedit geometry as - nedit*geometry: 85X40
> 
> 
>     Attached is the gtar file contains following.
>         file - junk --> a file with big memory. if I open this file in
> nedit i am getting problem.
>         file - .fvwm2rc  -> my fvwm settings.
>         file - .nedit    -> my nedit settings.
> 
> 
> But size is changing only for the file conating big memory. why it is
> like that ?

With the files you posted I can reproduce the problem.  Actually
it does not depend on the .fvwm2rc, but I need your .nedit file
as well as the data file (using nedit-5.1.1).

What happens is this:

 1) Start nedit
 2) nedit opens its main window with a width of 803 pixels and
    requests a character width (width_inc in the size hints) of 9
    pixels (for me).  All is fine for now.
 3) From the file dialog, load the data file you sent.
 4) nedit provides new size hints.  It again requests a width of
    803 pixels, but a width_inc if 1.  Now this is where the
    problem starts: according to the ICCCM2, the new requested
    width is ignored (honoured only when the window is mapped),
    but the width_inc is honoured.  So, the window shrinks to a
    width of 154 pixels.
 5) nedit resizes its window to 803 pixels width.  Actually, it
    seems to believe it still has this size.  Keep in mind that
    the character width is still 1.
 6) Again, nedit provides new size hints, with a width of 803 and
    a width_inc of 9.  Fvwm ignores the width as it should and
    honours the width .  Thus, the width of the interior of the
    window is multiplied by 9 which results in a window that is
    about 5500 pixels wide :-P

This is clearly a bug in nedit.  There is no reason to change the
width_inc to 1.  Also, it seems the author misunderstood the way
the size hints work.  For other files, nedit neither resizes its
window nor does it provide new size hints.

The reason why you don't see this with earlier versions and
probably not with any other window manager is that fvwm-2.2 and
above is the only window manager I know of that properly
implements changing the width_inc and height_inc hints.

Please report this to the nedit developers.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Srivathsa Rao U <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:52:23 +0530

hi ,

        thanx for your pormpt reply.

        I reported this problem to nedit. waiting for their reply.

        Is there any workaround for this ? If there pls let me know how to
fix.

        You have mentioned that in your setting  width_inc = 9 .
        How to set this ? If it set to 9 this porblem will go ?

Pls let me know it any solution is there for this .

thanx & rgds
srivathsa

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:32:25 +0100

>         How to set this ? If it set to 9 this porblem will go ?

The only way to modify this width is by choosing a different font.
It is actually the width of a single character in this case.
Changing the font won't help though, unless you can live with
characters that are only one pixel wide ;-)

The only workaround I can think of is limiting the size of the
nedit window with something similar to

  Style nedit MaxWindowSize 99 10000

This limits the width of the nedit window to 99% of the screen
width (plus borders).  The nedit window will still grow, but not
as much as before.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20