Subject: Notification: incoming/852

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 06:34:02 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/852

Message summary for PR#852
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Keysyms for special keys are not recognized
	Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 06:34:01 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Thu Feb 07 06:34:02 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Keysyms for special keys are not recognized
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 06:34:01 -0600

Full_Name: Stanislav Meduna
Version: 2.2.5
CVS_Date: 
OS: Red Hat Linux 7.2
X_Server: XFree86 4.1.0
Submission from: (NULL) (212.88.180.5)

There are keyboards that provide special keys such as Power, WakeUp or
Standby. These keys return special keycodes that can be mapped to the
keysyms XF86PowerOff, XF86Standby, XF86WakeUp - see e.g. the XKB
definitions in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet.

I did this mapping and I see the keysyms returned correctly when watching
them with xev. They are not mentioned in keysyms.h, but the XStringToKeysym
function also recognizes names such as XF86PowerOff and returns the
corresponding keysym.

I would now like to hook some actions to these keys. Unfortunately the fvwm
does not seem to recognize these keysyms and my bindings are ignored.

I am able to do this in the sawfish wm and I am successfully using other
keybindings in the fvwm, so I think that the problem is really in the fvwm.
The keysyms are a bit special in that they have the highest two bytes
non-null. My uneducated guess is that the keysym values get stripped to 16
bits somewhere.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]