Subject: Cannot make fvwm link with libiconv

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:52:06 +0000

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: SunOS silver 5.5.1 Generic_103640-38 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit-int
prefix: /u/phippst/sunos

FVWM Version:	2.5.1
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/libexec/fvwm/2.5.0
FVWM_DATADIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	/u/phippst/.fvwm

Description:
	On Solaris 2.5.1 iconv support is pants. I downloaded libiconv,
	compiled and installed. Now I can't get fvwm to compile.

Repeat-By:
	Any of
	./configure
	./configure --with-iconv-library=/u/phippst/sunos/lib
	./configure --with-iconv-library=/u/phippst/sunos/lib/libiconv.so
	
	All result in:
	ewmh_names.c:56: #error libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv
	
	I think this is because I have an iconv.h on my include path,
	put there by libiconv but ./configure is detecting the Solaris
	iconv and not looking at --with-iconv-library
Fix:
	Make ./configure take note of the --with-iconv-library and try
	to use -liconv in it's test compilation before it tries the
	system iconv. I think this would be best since not many people
	would install a libiconv if they didn't need it.
	
	Maybe trying libiconv first would be best, it's not likely to
	be worse than the system iconv.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:41:33 +0100

> 	be worse than the system iconv.

Yes, at the present time if a system iconv is found it is used.
I will fix the --with-iconv-library option (the most
simple solution). 0r we can add an --enable-iconv-library option.
I do not know what is the good default. But it seems logic
to use the system iconv if found, IMHO we cannot assume that
the "users" have a consistent installation (nowdays most unix
system has no system administrator).  Some other advice?

Olivier