Subject: Notification: incoming/837

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 03:50:28 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/837

Message summary for PR#837
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: keyboard hang
	Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 03:50:26 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Jan 05 03:50:27 2002
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: keyboard hang
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 03:50:26 -0600

Full_Name: Jan Martinek
Version: all newer than fvwm2-2.2.4-9
CVS_Date: 
OS: redhat 7.x
X_Server: 4.0.3
Submission from: (NULL) (147.229.25.195)

Hello,

I am still using fvwm2-2.2.4-9 because newer versions have a bug.
I use two different keyboard layouts (Czech and US) and I toggle
between them by pressing left and right shift simultaneously.
I found this problem:

1) I open an xterm (or rxvt)
2) I exit the xterm
3) when the Czech keyboard layout is active, fvwm ignores all
   key presses.

The only way to restore the state is to toggle the keyboard to US.
After that it is also possible to toggle it to Czech again and
fvwm starts working properly. Czech keyboard itself is not a problem,
fvwm works OK with it, but something wrong happens after exiting an
xterm.

I do not know what configuration files should I add, because I don't
know where the problem is. But if you e-mail me, I will cooperate
and do what you want.

thanks
Jan Martinek
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 02:14:20 +0100

> between them by pressing left and right shift simultaneously.

Is this problem in 2.2.4 or in 2.4.x?  If it is only in 2.2.4,
please tell the bug that you mentioned above.  If it is in 2.4.x,
please provide the scripts and the keymaps you are using so that
I can try this myself.

> 3) when the Czech keyboard layout is active, fvwm ignores all

What does this mean?  Do other windows still get input or is the
keyboard completely frozen?  If only fvwm specific keystrokes do
not work anymore, please check if Q 5.5 from our FAQ helps
solving the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
5.5  Why do NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock interfere with
     ClickToFocus and/or my mouse bindings?

A: Because they are treated as modifiers.  You can use the
   IgnoreModifiers command to turn individual modifiers off for
   bindings.  With XFree86 the right command is

     IgnoreModifiers L25

   If you changed your modifiers manually or are using a different
   X server use the 'xmodmap' command to find out which modifiers
   correspond to the keys you want to switch off.

   This command creates a lot of extra network traffic, depending
   on your CPU, network connection, the number of Key Mouse commands
   in your configuration file and the number of modifiers you want to
   ignore.  If you do not have a lightning fast machine or very few
   bindings you should not ignore more than two modifiers.  So do
   not ignore scroll-lock if you have no problem with it.

   A better way to solve this problem is to modify the keyboard
   mapping of your X server.  The commands

     xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod2"
     xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"

   remove the CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock from the keyboard map.
   Pressing these keys has no effect then.  To re-add them try this:

     xmodmap -e "add Lock = Caps_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod2 = Num_Lock"
     xmodmap -e "add Mod5 = Scroll_Lock"

   Fvwm has to be restarted to use the changes made by xmodmap.
   Please refer to the man page of the xmodmap command for further
   details.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

> know where the problem is. But if you e-mail me, I will cooperate

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:51:03 +0100

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:32:18PM +0100, Hana Stara wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-06 at 02:14, Dominik Vogt wrote: 
> I tried there versions: 
> fvwm2-2.2.5-4     ....... OK 
> fvwm2-2.2.4-9     ....... OK
> fvwm-2.4.0        ....... bug 
> fvwm-2.4.3        ....... bug
> fvwm-2.4.4        ....... bug 
> As for the X server, I also tried XFree86-4.1.0-3 but 
> with the same result. :-(
> 
> I don't know how to find where the the keystrokes get lost. 
> But now I found something that could help to localize the problem: 
> If I exit ANY application, the resulting state is that no window has 
> focus. When no window has focus, the problem occurs. But on the
> other hand I do not know if windows get input - because no window
> has focus :-(
>
> I wrote you that after exiting rxvt (xterm) the problem occurs
> - it is not correct. It happens, when no window has focus.
> 
> Toggling keyboard to US and back to Czech does not help!
> Sorry for confusing, I made mistake. So I will try to define the
> problem once more:

I am still not sure what the problem is you encounter.  Please
answer these questions:

 - After the problem appears, can you still focus a window by
   moving the mouse ofer it or by clicking on its title?
 - If yes, can you type into that newly focused window?
 - Do your fvwm keyboard shortcuts still work?
 - Can you still move windows with the mouse?

Are you saying that you can't focus a win
> _______________________________________________________________
> || When no window has focus, the keyboard layout must be US. ||
> ---------------------------------------------------------------

And if it isn't? What exactly happens then?

> As for the FAQ 5.5 - I don't understand that :-(

My point was:  if its only fvwm internal bindings that do not work
this may be caused by some modifier keys like num-lock changing
state when the keymap is changed.  Toggling that key again would
help in this case.  But with your explanations above I don't think
that is your problem.

> I use a non-standard keyboard layout - my friend Yeti has made
> a rpm package so I send that as an attachment.

Um, can you just send the files in a tar.gz?  I don't like to
install rpm packages on my system because I can't control where
they end up.  Also, please post your fvwm config file.

> But I don't think it is the source of problem.

I don't think it's the source of the problem either, but I need it
to reproduce the problem.  

> Please tell me, what more diagnostics should I do.
> 

Please reply to [email-masked], not to me personally.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Hana Stara <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jan 2002 21:32:18 +0100

I tried there versions: 

fvwm2-2.2.5-4     ....... OK 
fvwm2-2.2.4-9     ....... OK
fvwm-2.4.0        ....... bug 
fvwm-2.4.3        ....... bug
fvwm-2.4.4        ....... bug 

As for the FAQ 5.5 - I don't understand that :-(
I tried to to turn off "ClickToFocus" but the result is the same.
This is the output of xmodmap on my X server:

21:05:22 ~$ xmodmap 
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40)
mod2      
mod3        Mode_switch (0x71)
mod4      
mod5      

I use a non-standard keyboard layout - my friend Yeti has made
a rpm package so I send that as an attachment. But I don't think
it is the source of problem.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:35:41 +0100

> > Please tell me, what more diagnostics should I do.

Well, I tried to get that rpm package running, but I have no idea
how to do it.  Furthermore I don't understand what all that code
is good for.  All you have to do to switch keymaps is to make two
different .Xmodmap files (e.g. .Xmodmap.us and .Xmodmap.cz) and
call

  $ xmodmap .Xmodmap.us

or

  $ xmodmap .Xmodmap.cz

No need to touch the installation of the X server.  In fvwm, you
could put these actions into a menu or bind them to key strokes:

  Key c a CMS Exec xmodmap /home/foo/.Xmodmap.cz
  Key u a CMS Exec xmodmap /home/foo/.Xmodmap.us

It's even very easy to generate the .Xmodmap files since you
already can activate them:

  # switch to cz map
  $ xmodmap -pke > .Xmodmap.cz
  # switch to us map
  $ xmodmap -pke > .Xmodmap.us

Although I don't really understand what all these files from the
rpm do, I think there is a good chance that patching the X server
installation breaks something.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^