Subject: FvwmIconBox quits with badly written clients

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:56:03 +0000

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: SunOS silver 5.5.1 Generic_103640-38 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -Wall
prefix: /u/phippst/sunos

FVWM Version:	2.5.0
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/libexec/fvwm/2.5.0
FVWM_DATADIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	/u/phippst/.fvwm

Description:
	Some clients provide invalid (by ICCCM's definition) icon
	pixmaps. Fvwm handles these but FvwmIconBox quits.

Repeat-By:
	Run X with the default visual set to 8 bits but with a 24 bit
	visual available. Run mozilla. Run FvwmIconBox.

	fvwm reports:
	
[FVWM][GetIconBitmap]: <<ERROR>> Bad client icon pixmap depth 24
[FVWM][GetIconWindow]: <<ERROR>> Help! Bad Icon Window!

	FvwmIconBox reports:

FvwmIconBox: Cause of next X Error.
   Error: 8 (BadMatch)
   Major opcode of failed request:  62 (CopyArea)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  0 
   Resource id of failed request:  0x3800024 
 Leaving a core dump now
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:27:22 +0100

>    Resource id of failed request:  0x3800024 

Hm, how do we handle this in fvwm?  Didn't you write a patch for
this (in fvwm) a while ago?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:35:36 +0100

>    Resource id of failed request:  0x3800024 

I made a patch that fixes the crash and makes the error message
more useful, but I can't test it since my video card does not
support 8 bit resolution.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^