Subject: Re: ICCCM breakage, IconicState, and desktops

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:28:42 +0100

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:13:41PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> If you know them, could you encourage the fvwm developers to join this
> list? We already have nearly all WM developers on here, we should try
> to have them all. ;-)
>

Hello,

First, I am an fvwm developers. The main developer, Dominik Vogt
is on the wm-spec list I think. Moreover, Matthias Clasen which
is (was?) a fvwm workers (but not fvwm code active at the present
time) is on the list too.

For the fvwm workers:
I try to convince the wm-spec list to add a new ewmh state 
(already proposed by Havoc Pennington) to solve the problem
in virtual.c (see the mail by Dominik with the subject
"HAVE_EWMH in virtual.c").

Regards, Olivier
 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Havoc Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Dec 2001 15:24:42 -0500

> time) is on the list too.

OK, sorry - from your mail I got the impression important developers
weren't on there. I know Dominik and Matthias are on the list.

> "HAVE_EWMH in virtual.c").

Dominik, reading:
 http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0111/msg00266.html

We can't just ignore EWMH; stuff won't work. Window managers MUST be
consistent on the meaning of IconicState. So please argue with Sasha
and Raster on wm-spec-list. ;-) The whole point of EWMH is to clarify
issues like this so that desktops and apps can get predictable
behavior from window managers.

I think being inconsistent between window managers is worse than
either of the possible decisions we could make. Apps can work with
either decision, but they can't work if some window managers do it one
way and others do it a different way.

We haven't actually released an EWMH spec with a clear answer on this
topic, so we can still get it right.

Havoc