Subject: UTF8 error messages

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:28:01 +0100

WIth the ewmh patches, I get lots of these messages

  [FVWM][convert_charsets]: <<ERROR>> Error during conversion from ANSI_X3.4-1968 to UTF8

Where exactly does this come from?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:04:47 +0100

> Where exactly does this come from?

The error message mean that iconv is unable to convert a string
encoded using the ANSI_X3.4-1968 charset to a string encoded in UTF8.
However, your iconv support such conversions.
So maybe the error message come from the fact that some of your
window/icon/desktop titles are encoded using a different charset
than ANSI_X3.4-1968. It seems that ASCII = ANSI_X3.4-1968, do the
error happen only with window which contains no ASCII characters?
I am surprised that your charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968 and not ISO-8859-1.
This charset is computed from your LC_TYPE (=de ??) variable. You can
override it by using the env variable CHARSET:

	env CHARSET=ISO-8859-1 fvwm2

All the code about these can be found in ewmh_names.c.
The errors messages are in fact only warnings. The problem with
these warnings is that if you get one then you probably get
a lot.
May be what I can do is to limit the number of such warning
to 10 (with a special string for the last one)?
I can also add a compile time option or a fvwm2 command to
disable any UTF8 conversion.

Regards, Olivier.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:24:03 +0100

> error happen only with window which contains no ASCII characters?

I couldn't narrow it down to a specific window title yet.  It may
well be caused by titles in netscape or mozilla.

> This charset is computed from your LC_TYPE (=de ??) variable.

Recently, I noticed an error message about LC_CTYPE or LANG not
being set correctly.  I don't have the message handy right now.

  $ echo $LC_CTYPE 
  de_DE
  $ echo $LANG
  en_US

The message obviously comes from one of the setlocale() calls in
ewmh_names.c and fvwm.c (with multibyte support).  I tried all the
spellings "de_De", "De_De" and "De_DE", but the message does not
go away.  The only way to get rid of it was to set LANG=C (without
modifying LC_CTYPE).  Of course this is no solution for people who
set LANG any other language than English.

> You can override it by using the env variable CHARSET:
> 

Exactly.

> disable any UTF8 conversion.

Lets see what can be done about my warnings before deciding what
to do.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:01:36 +0100

> well be caused by titles in netscape or mozilla.

I make some test with an ASCII charset I get error messages
whenever a window title have non ascii char as é è à ...etc.

> [snip]

I am sure that starting fvwm2 as
	 env CHARSET=ISO-8859-1 fvwm2
will remove most(all?) of your warnings.

What you can do is to do so that your C lib consider that
your charset is not ASCII (this charset is not useful at
all, I think it is better to use a super set of ASCII in
any case). I do not now how to do this. To overcome this
we can add a fvwm2 command as "Charset charset" or even a
style which will allow to get window title in Japanese,
Russian, French, Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese ...etc on the
same desktop (with mulibyte enabled).

Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:08:12 +0100

> whenever a window title have non ascii char as é è à ...etc.

Works fine for me.

> will remove most(all?) of your warnings.

Actually, at the moment I don't get the warning, although I didn't
change anything.  I've to find out where they are coming from
before I can say anything.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^