Subject: Re: Transparent Titlebars

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:36:24 +0100

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 12:18:54PM -0600, Ian Remmler wrote:
> First, let me say thanks for the great work you guys do.  I've tried
> many window managers, but I keep coming back to fvwm.
> 
> I was recently playing with using colorset transparency.  It works well
> with menus, etc. but I was disappointed when I discovered that titlebars
> ignore transparency.

The transparency in colour sets is a hack and does not work
properly in many other places too (e.g. FvwmPager background).
It can't be fixed without rewriting the transparency parts of
FvwmTheme, fvwm and the other modules completely.  This is
because it relies on some kind of transparency feature in X that
simply does not work properly.  To get transparency in titles, one
would have to take a completely different approach, probably using
shaped windows.

> Are there plans to add this at any point?

Maybe, maybe not.  It's rather difficult to do with the existing
window layout.

> I would even take a shot at adding it myself, but I wanted to check
> first to see if there is some show-stopping problem standing in the way.

I don't know what to say.  There is no real show stopper here, but
it is maybe the most complicated piece of code in fvwm to touch.
I can't really recommend to do this.  It may be better to either
use a window manager that supports shaped/transparent titles or to
just live without that feature.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]