Subject: Conditional Styles

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:23:35 +0100

Hello,

In the todo-3.0 we have the following plan:

 16) Expand Style command to support name=pattern syntax.
     Style (Name "File *", Class XPaint, Resource *browser) NoIcon
 17) Add id-pattern to Style command.
 18) Split style lists into 5 (resource, class, icon, name, id).
 19) Styles get applied in the above order.

Dominik, do you have any plan about these? I may try to implement
these new feature if there is no objection (Note: I am not sure that
18) is a good idea maybe it is simpler to add to the window_style
structure char *class, char *resource, unsigned long id. Also
in 16) there is no Icon match as there is one in 18); it seems
reasonable to me to follow 16) here).

But, my concern is "conditional styles":

Style (Condition Sticky, *) StippledTitleOff, UseDecor MyStickyDecor
Style (Condition EWMHDocType, *) Layer 0 6, NoTitle, NeverFocus
Style (Condition Desk 3, *) UseDecor MyDesk3Decor
Style (Condition Sticky, Name Fvwm*) UseDecor, StippledTitleOn

It seems that conditions in style has been already planed as
we can see in the window_style structure definition (fvwm.h):

#if 0
  WindowConditionMask *condition_mask;
#endif

but, I am not sure that the conditions for the Style cmd should
be only a strict subset of the condition of the conditional
command.

I am award that adding conditional styles is not an easy
task, but we may begin smoothly by adding the Sticky condition
and the ewmh window type conditions. Also, this may lead to
some simplifications to get new feature: ConfigFvwmDefault
can contain
  Style (Condition Sticky, *) StippledTitleOn
and we can remove Sticky tests in borders.c.

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:17:16 +0100

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:23:35AM +0100, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> these new feature if there is no objection
>...

Before we start anything about it I'd like to give that issue much
more thought.  I don't have the time right now, but I hope I'll
get to it in the next few days.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:15:01 +0100

> get to it in the next few days.

Ok, Olivier