Subject: Notification: incoming/806

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:00:48 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/806

Message summary for PR#806
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: workaround for #718
	Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:00:47 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Nov 10 20:00:48 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: workaround for #718
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:00:47 -0600

Full_Name: Drew Perttula
Version: 2.4.3
CVS_Date: 
OS: Linux 2.2.16 / slackware
X_Server: XFree86 4.1.0
Submission from: (NULL) (66.47.234.173)

I am successfully using a 7-button mouse (wheel, plus a button on each side
of the mouse) with fvwm. I edited libs/defaults.h to look like this:

#define NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS		   7
#define DEFAULT_ALL_BUTTONS_MASK	   \
((Button1Mask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 1)) | \
 (Button2Mask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 2)) | \
 (Button3Mask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 3)) | \
 (Button4Mask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 4)) | \
 (Button5Mask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 5)) | \
 ( (1<<13)    * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 6)) | \
 ( (1<<14)    * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 7)))
#define DEFAULT_ALL_BUTTONS_MOTION_MASK	   \
((Button1MotionMask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 1)) | \
 (Button2MotionMask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 2)) | \
 (Button3MotionMask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 3)) | \
 (Button4MotionMask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 4)) | \
 (Button5MotionMask * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 5)) | \
 ( (1<<13)          * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 6)) | \
 ( (1<<14)          * (NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS >= 7)))

I don't know if those faked masks are doing anything, nor do I know
if they're specific to my X version. I map the left side button to
'Move' and the right one to 'Lower' and those functions seem to work
well.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:20:45 +0100

> 'Move' and the right one to 'Lower' and those functions seem to work

No, you *must not* create these fake masks.  The masks this
generates are already reserved for ButtonMotionMask and
KeymapStateMask.  That is the main reason why X11 does not
properly support more that 5 mouse buttons.  Some of the C
functions in the X11 C interface just treat the button number as
an integer value.  These work fine with any number of buttons.
But some routines dealing with event handling take button masks -
these cannot address more than 5 buttons.

BTW, please use the bug tracking system only to report bugs.  For
general discussions, please send mail to [email-masked] or
[email-masked] .

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]