Subject: CVS olicha: * Added extanded window manager hints support:

From: FVWM CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:07:25 -0600

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	olicha	01/11/15 03:07:24

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog NEWS acconfig.h configure.in 
	fvwm           : Makefile.am add_window.c bindings.c borders.c 
	                 borders.h builtins.c events.c events.h 
	                 functions.c fvwm.c fvwm.h fvwm2.1 gnome.c 
	                 icons.c icons.h move_resize.c placement.c 
	                 screen.h session.c stack.c style.c update.c 
	                 update.h virtual.c window_flags.h 
	libs           : Bindings.c Picture.c Picture.h fvwmlib.h 
	utils          : ChangeLog fvwm-config.in 
Added files:
	fvwm           : ewmh.c ewmh.h ewmh_events.c ewmh_icons.c 
	                 ewmh_intern.h ewmh_names.c 

Log message:
* Added extanded window manager hints support:
The support is not too far to be completed, the main gap is that nothing
is configurable yet (needs discution). Also, maybe some new codes should
be un-ifdefed. I will write an email on these soon.
* Fixed immediate application of mouse/stroke bindings (be consistant
with AddWindow).
* Warning: there is some new doc in fvwm2.1 (new section EXTENDED WINDOW
MANAGER HINTS)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:54:40 -0500

This is current CVS with gcc and Solaris 8:

...
  With Extanded Window Manager hints? no: This is the default
.,.
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs -I/opt/public/include  	-I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\" 	-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\" 	-DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/placement.c
In file included from ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/placement.c:42:
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:35: parse error before `EWMH_CODE'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:35: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:37: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:38: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:39: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:40: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:41: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:42: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:43: parse error before `:'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/update.h:44: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
In file included from ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/placement.c:43:
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/style.h:432: parse error before `update_win'
gnumake[1]: *** [placement.o] Error 1

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:00:26 -0500

Commenting out the problem in update.h, I get this:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs -I/opt/public/include  	-I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\" 	-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\" 	-DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/style.c
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/style.c: In function `check_window_style_change':
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/style.c:2874: structure has no member named `do_update_list_skip'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/style.c:2874: parse error before `;'
gnumake: *** [style.o] Error 1

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:11:29 -0500

3 more:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs -I/opt/public/include  	-I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\" 	-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\" 	-DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/events.c
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/events.c:918: macro `EWMH_WindowDestroyed' used without args
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/events.c:1412: macro `EWMH_WindowDestroyed' used without args
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/events.c:1441: macro `EWMH_WindowDestroyed' used without args
gnumake: *** [events.o] Error 1

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs -I/opt/public/include  	-I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\" 	-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\" 	-DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c ../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/functions.c
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/functions.c: In function `DeferExecution':
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/functions.c:1209: parse error before `EWMH_CODE'
../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/functions.c: At top level:
(lots of errors generated by this snipped)
gnumake: *** [functions.o] Error 1

Undefined			first referenced
 symbol  			    in file
EWMH_DestroyWindow                  add_window.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to fvwm2

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:07:50 +0100

> 3 more:

For the 3 first and one in this mail it seems to me that  
the macro EWMH_CODE is not defined in your config.h.   
This macro is defined in acconfig.h, auto(re)conf build config.h.in
and ./configure build config.h (or something like that, any way you know
that). So do you rerun auto(re)conf? Do you have the lines

#ifdef HAVE_EWMH
#    define EWMH_CODE(x) x
#else
#    define EWMH_CODE(x)
#endif
 
in your config.h file after runing configure?
 
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs
+-I/opt/public/include          -I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\"
+-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\"   -DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c
+../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/events.c
> gnumake: *** [events.o] Error 1

I just fixed this one and the undefined symbol error below.

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../version-2_5_0/fvwm -I.. -I../../version-2_5_0 -I../../version-2_5_0/libs
+-I/opt/public/include          -I/usr/openwin/include   -DFVWM_MODULEDIR=\"/opt/public/src//fvwm/2.5.0\"
+-DFVWM_DATADIR=\"/opt/public/share/fvwm/2.5.0/fvwm\"   -DFVWM_CONFDIR=\"/opt/public/etc/fvwm/2.5.0\" -g -c
+../../version-2_5_0/fvwm/functions.c

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:20:56 -0500

> in your config.h file after runing configure?

I just did a make, but it invoked autoreconf so I didn't retry it
myself.

I updated after your changes this morning and everything builds now.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:23:50 -0500

I'm getting a different icon for one of
my XEmacs frames during startup.

Is there something in the EWMH patch that might have caused this?

XEmacs is created from my .xinitrc like this:

xemacs -iconic -f my-mail

In my .emacs, I have this:

(defun my-mail ()
  "Setup emacs for reading mail."
  (interactive)
  (select-frame (make-frame '((name . "xmh"))))
  (setq frame-icon-title-format "Mail")
  (iconify-frame)
  (mh-rmail))

The name "xmh" matches a Style line that supplies an icon.
What I get instead is the XEmacs built in icon.
If I deiconify and reiconify, the right icon is shown.

If I start XEmacs the same way after FVWM is running, the icon
is OK.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:02:08 +0100

> Is there something in the EWMH patch that might have caused this?

Yes, a bug. Do you ./configure with --enable-ewmh or not?
I've changed some part of the icon code (without ifdefing).
I will try to fix the problem you describe.

> If I deiconify and reiconify, the right icon is shown.

I suppose that you have a line in your config file which implies
IconOverride in your fvwm config? Also, I think the builtin xemacs
icon is an icon window, right?
 
> If I start XEmacs the same way after FVWM is running, the icon

Olivier

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:05:08 -0500

> Yes, a bug. Do you ./configure with --enable-ewmh or not?

Not.

> icon is an icon window, right?

All I have is:

Style "xmh"	    Icon mail2.xpm

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:48:20 +0100

> Is there something in the EWMH patch that might have caused this?

I hope that I've fixed the problem.
Olivier

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:56:33 -0500

> I hope that I've fixed the problem.

You have.