Subject: Compilation error

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:00:47 +0100 (CET)

Dear fvwm experts,

I'm having an error compiling the latest CVS on 'OSF1 V4.0 1229 alpha', if 
I run configure with just '--prefix=...' and no other options:

In file included from ewmh.c:46:
ewmh_intern.h:162: badly punctuated parameter list in `#define'
gmake[2]: *** [ewmh.o] Error 1

I suspect this corresponds to '#define EWMH_DLOG(x, ...)'.

My gcc version is:
Reading specs from 
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf4.0d/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

(I cannot upgrade)

I've tried using 'configure --prefix=... --disable-ewmh' and the error
disappears, since the EWMH code is ifdef'ed out, but this in principle 
should not be needed, right ?

best regards,
Giuseppe.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:50:25 +0100 (CET)

Dear fvwm experts,

I'm using the latest fvwm from CVS. The problems shows when using OpenOffice 
(version 638c in my case), on my laptop (Linux 2.4.9-13custom, XFree86 4.1.0).

While working with OpenOffice, it can happen to have several transient 
windows open (for example, when selecting some printer options before 
printing, or save options before saving), overlapping each other or not, 
and when this happens it looks like the last one of these windows is 
rapidly raised/lowered, and fvwm2 starts taking all the CPU. 

I've find that doing:

Style *OpenOffice*   DontRaiseTransient, DontLowerTransient

solves this problem.

I don't know if this is an OpenOffice problem or a fvwm2 one, but I 
wanted to share my experience about it.

Has anyone seen something like this ?

Best regards,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:17:32 +0100

> I suspect this corresponds to '#define EWMH_DLOG(x, ...)'.

I've removed this non standard macro.
Olivier

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:47:00 +0100 (MET)

>I've removed this non standard macro.

Thanks a lot !!

I have an error during the link now ...

The configure correctly finds /usr/local/include/iconv.h and
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so , but '-liconv' is not added to the linking
phase of fvwm2.

Doing 'gmake LDFLAGS=-liconv' works (so the paths are fine), so I managed
to complete the installation.

Let me know if you need more informations (config.log or config.cache).

Best regards,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:43:49 +0100

> /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so , but '-liconv' is not added to the linking

Maybe I've fixed this problem. Can you try?
Thanks, Olivier

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:49:27 +0100 (CET)

Dear Olivier,

yes, this is fixed for me. Thanks a lot !

Cheers,
Giuseppe.