Subject: Notification: incoming/795

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:37:14 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/795

Message summary for PR#795
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: window placement with Xinerama
	Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:37:13 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Thu Oct 18 17:37:14 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: window placement with Xinerama
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:37:13 -0500

Full_Name: Brent Ewing
Version: fvwm-snap-20011018
CVS_Date: 
OS: 
X_Server: Xfree86 4.1.0
Submission from: (NULL) (128.208.109.64)

I have a dual display based on the dual output Matrox 450 video card and I
use the XFree86 4.1.0 mga server.

The resolution on both displays is 1280x1024; the secondary display is to
the right of the primary display.

I set up fvwm with multiple 'virtual desktops', is that the right term? I
switch between the desktops with the pager, anyway.

So the problem is...when I create an xterm window in the secondary
display,
(I place it 'manually'), the outline does not appear on the secondary
display
as I move the mouse around while I hold the left button down. When I
release
the button, a window is created in the 'virtual desktop' to the right of
the visible desktop. On closer examination, the 'placement display', which
pops up while I hold the left mouse button down indicates that the 
x-position is > 2560..that is, it is displaced to the right by one screen
width, which is where the window ends up.

I looked into the code a bit. The problem is a result of applying an
offset
too many. The Xlib functions return position values as if the
two screens were one...so the top left pixel in the secondary screen is
1280x0 and the top right pixel is about 2560x0, according to the server.
So those are the values returned by XQueryPointer(), for example.

There is a call in PlaceWindow() to the function

FScreenGetScrRect(NULL, FSCREEN_CURRENT, &mx, &my, NULL, NULL)

which apparently, is used to get the screen geometry, and which returns
mx=1280 my=0.

The mx and my values are added to the positions returned by the Xlib
functions, and so the position of the grid and window go off the screen.

I do not know what a good solution is for this problem...

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]