Subject: Notification: incoming/801

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:47:58 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/801

Message summary for PR#801
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: FVWM core dumps when client_argv is NULL
	Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:47:58 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Tue Oct 30 09:47:58 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FVWM core dumps when client_argv is NULL
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:47:58 -0600

Full_Name: Richard Lee
Version: 2.4.3
CVS_Date: 
OS: FreeBSD 4.4 Release
X_Server: XFree86 4.1.99 (CVS)
Submission from: (NULL) (204.123.2.83)

in fvwm/add_window.c, Bool setup_window_placement(..),

If XGetCommand() returns client_argc of 0 and client_argv of NULL ptr,
trying to do client_argv[0] in following function calls, such as
MergeCmdLineResources, GetResourceString, etc., will cause core dump.

I am not even close to being an experienced X programmer so I don't know if
it's a normal behavior for XGetCommand to return null ptr, but it makes
sense to me.  I worked around it for my own use by enclosing a whole set of
stuff in:

  if (client_argc) {...}
I doubt that's the correct way to fix it.  I looked at 2.4.0 code (because
it didn't coredump like 2.4.3) and I see it's completely changed.

I was running dinotrace when fvwm2 crashed.  It is 100% reproducible.
I'm sorry to have bothered you if this is already known (I browsed through
bug tracking list and didn't find anything similar) or if I'm way off
somewhere such as it being an XF86 bug and not fvwm bug.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]