Subject: Notification: incoming/800

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:22:51 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/800

Message summary for PR#800
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Restart with multi-head is not working
	Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:22:50 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Fri Oct 26 20:22:51 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Restart with multi-head is not working
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:22:50 -0500

Full_Name: Jeff Solomon
Version: 2.4.3
CVS_Date: 
OS: SPARC/Solaris 8
X_Server: X11
Submission from: (NULL) (171.64.72.46)

I have a two head display on a Sun Ultra 60 with two gfx cards. I like
to run two fvwm2 sessions, one on each screen.

I start fvwm2 from my ~/.xinitrc like this:

	fvwm2 -cmd "FvwmM4 -DSHORT_HOST=$HOSTNAME $HOME/.fvwm2/fvwm2rc"

where $HOSTNAME is something like foo instead of foo.stanford.edu. I know
that FvwmM4 defines HOSTNAME, but it always turns out to be
foo.stanford.edu
instead of just foo.

Then I have a menu item that Restarts fvwm2. In 2.0.46 and 2.2.4, I would
just say:

	Restart fvwm2

and everything would work.

Now, however, nothing works. I've read all the info on the Restart option
with 2.4.3 and I've tried all kinds of experimentation with --pass-args,
-s and -replace but nothing seems to work. I think it has to do with the
fact that when fvwm2 originally starts, it sucessfully deals with
the fact that I have two screens. But when I try to restart, my most
frequent error message is that FVWM has detected another ICCCCCCM2.0
compliant WM and I should try the -replace flag.

The problem is that I can't just say "Restart" because I need to add the
-replace flag, but I can't just say Restart fvwm2 -replace because then
I'd lose the initial arguments. Notice that I also can't just copy the 
contents of .xinitrc into the Restart command because each time through,
FvwmM4 will perform replacement (making -DSHORT_HOST literally into -Dfoo)

I *think* what I need is for yet another form of the Restart command
that allows me to specify --pass-args but also supply new ones.

Perhaps I'm way out to sea here, but if anyone has any idea what is going
on, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:57:08 +0000

> on, it would be really appreciated.

I though that I dealt with this situation and I actually got reports that
Restart without parameters works on a dual head setup like yours.

The trick is that when you use Restart on some screen, "-s" is added to the
end of all original arguments of fvwm2. This trick was used in the earlier
fvwm versions too, but it was too buggy regarding different Restart cases.
Currently this switch is added once just after forking for each screen.

I don't know why it does not work for you. Can you create ~/bin/fvwm2
wrapper that looks like:

  #!/bin/sh
  echo "[fvwm2 on $DISPLAY called with args]: $@"
  /usr/local/bin/fvwm2 "$@"

and use "Restart --pass-args ~/bin/fvwm2" command to see what parameters
are passed to fvwm2 on one or another screen, and send the output?

BTW, you may use this slightly modified wrapper and this Restart command
if you want to add additional parameters. But this should not be needed,
since a simple Restart without parameters should work.

Regards,
Mikhael.