Subject: CVS dane: * libs/Makefile.am (libfvwm_a_SOURCES): Add new file.

From: FVWM CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:05:41 -0500

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	dane	01/10/09 15:05:41

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : cursor.c 
	libs           : Makefile.am fvwmlib.h 
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmForm: FvwmForm-Form FvwmForm.1 FvwmForm.c FvwmForm.h 
	                  ParseCommand.c ReadXServer.c 
Added files:
	libs           : Cursor.c 

Log message:
* libs/Makefile.am (libfvwm_a_SOURCES): Add new file.

* libs/fvwmlib.h:
* libs/Cursor.c: Create new libs function fvwmCursorNameToIndex.

* fvwm/cursor.c: Extract cursor validation routine to become a libs
routine.

* FvwmForm/ParseCommand.c (ParseCommand): Fix extra spaces being
added to selection variable values.

* FvwmForm/FvwmForm.h:
* FvwmForm/FvwmForm.c: New commands ActivateOnPress, ButtonInPointer,
ButtonPointer, InputPointer.

* FvwmForm/FvwmForm.1: Describe new features.

* FvwmForm/FvwmForm-Form: Add ability to configure mouse pointers
used in FvwmForm and whether buttons activate on press or release.
* FvwmForm/ReadXServer.c: Make default buttons activate on release
instead of press.  Press activate is an option.
Add a cursor during the button down grab.
Make all 3 cursors configurable.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:43:44 +0000

> ButtonPointer, InputPointer.

I like the new activate-on-release default. BTW, this is what is used in
FvwmScript unlike what was said in another thread.

It is a bit unusual that the pointer is changed when mouse pressed,
but it is ok if it is configurable.

> Make all 3 cursors configurable.

Fine, but it would be nice to add pointer fore/back colors too
similarly to CursorStyle command.
I myself do not use black on white pointers when possible.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:27:27 -0400

> FvwmScript unlike what was said in another thread.

Glad they are consistent now.
FvwmScript fooled me again.

> but it is ok if it is configurable.

I know, I searched around for another GUI that does that,
and couldn't find one.  (I didn't search all that much.)

The pointer is grabbed while the button is down.
It only seems logical (to me) that the pointer should change.
I just wish I could have a better choice than "hand1".

I think it might be better to use the same cursor but just
change the colors.  (Using your idea for colors.)

> I myself do not use black on white pointers when possible.

Yep, XEmacs is fun:

Emacs*pointerBackground: red
Emacs*spacePointer: sailboat
Emacs*modeLinePointer: spider
Emacs*selectionPointer: trek

Some night soon I'll get to it.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:27:07 +0700

> Emacs*selectionPointer: trek

	Maybe a bit offtopic, but I have a question: which colors people
on this list prefer to use for pointers?

	When we began using 4 monitors on one PC, a problem of finding
where the cursor is had appeared; the same problem was noted by people who
use big resolutions (like 1600x1200).  I did some research, and it
resulted in fgcolor=red, bgcolor=white (BTW, that's a default in SGI's
Motif).  I even did a patch for XFree86 which allows to change default
black&white colors and optionally doublesize the pointer.

	So, what colors do you prefer?

	_________________________________________
	  Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
	  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
	  Novosibirsk, Russia

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:15:20 +0000

> 	So, what colors do you prefer?

I used fg=red, bg=white on my PC for several years, a habit from SGI.
I configured xterm and all other possible apps to use these colors.
Some time later, and until now, I find fg=yellow, bg=black to be more
plesant to me. Anyway, both color combination are better for me than the
default fg=black, bg=white. Also try: FvwmForm FvwmForm-RootCursor .

If we speak about this, I like the WAIT cursor that the latest mozilla
uses, it's not the one X has, but a combination of left_ptr (that is my
favorite) and small watch in the bottom-right, it seems to be better than
watch that we use by default for WAIT. I think we may draw some custom
cursors and enable users to specify them together with the standard ones.
I may do something about this later.

Regards,
Mikhael.