Subject: Regarding fvwm and modules man files

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:22:30 +0700

Hi!

	First, some time ago here was expressed a strong intent to split
fvwm2.1 into fvwm2.1 (giving a description of fvwm and its commandline
options) and fvwm2rc.1 (listing all config-file options). Is this still
going to be done?

	Second, regarding modules' configurations...  Fvwm maintains a
database of "*ModuleName..." lines (a-la X resource database) and gives
them to modules via GetConfigLine(), right?  But several man pages in
modules/ still include statements like "On startup FvwmFoo reads the same
.fvwm2rc config file as fvwm", which are technically wrong.  It seems
worth changing all such things into a unified reference to some part of
fvwm2rc(5) ("MODULE COMMANDS"?).

	Here is a list of such incorrect man pages (to the right are
patterns used for grepping):

FvwmAnimate.1	reads the same
FvwmBacker.1	scan the same
FvwmDragWell.1	same file that fvwm used during initialization
FvwmEvent.1	reads the same
FvwmGtk.1	reads the same
FvwmIconBox.1	reads the same
FvwmIdent.1	reads the same
FvwmPager.1	same file that fvwm used during initialization
FvwmSave.1	same file that fvwm used during initialization
FvwmScript.1	???
FvwmScroll.1	same file that fvwm used during initialization
FvwmWharf.1	configuration file will be the
FvwmWinList.1	the same configuration file

	I can do appropriate modifications, but I'm not so sure in my
english, so hope this list is of some help.

BTW, there's a statement in fvwm2.1::"ANATOMY OF A WINDOW":

	The default configuration has a title-bar button on each side of
	the title-bar. ...

    That's not true: "fvwm2 -f /dev/null" gives *no* titlebar buttons.

	_________________________________________
	  Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
	  [email-masked]
	  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:19:09 +0200

> options) and fvwm2rc.1 (listing all config-file options). Is this still

I have no opinion about that.

> english, so hope this list is of some help.

You're sure welcome to do that.  These statements were probably 
written a very very long time ago and nobody noticed the
inconsistencies.  If you are unsure about your English, just state
which parts you touch and somebody will take a look.

>     That's not true: "fvwm2 -f /dev/null" gives *no* titlebar buttons.

Probably it would be best to simply remove the whole sentence.
Nobody uses the default setup anyway.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:32:51 -0400

> I have no opinion about that.

Me either.

> which parts you touch and somebody will take a look.

I've noticed it and struggled many times with a way to reword it.
What actually goes on is pretty complicated.

Especially at the beginning of the man page, a complicated description
seems out of place.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]