Subject: Java and fvwm

From: Sidik Isani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:17:09 -1000 (HST)

Hello -

  Turns out no patches were needed to get Java working reasonably well:

  I've found comments from others on the 'net claiming things like
  "I went back and tried Java under MWM and it worked OK, but under
  FVWM I have problems with window size and positions."  Don't let
  this fool you into thinking that MWM has work-arounds for Java
  bugs, or that FVWM broken.  I think neither are the case, because
  Java's AWT is the one checking to see which window manager is
  running and it drops down to more standard behavior if it is MWM.

  So the fix for us is quite simple.  We already run with "Emulate MWM",
  but we need to emulate one more feature of MWM: _MOTIF_WM_INFO.
  Motif applications can also change their behavior when MWM is
  running, so this could affect them too, but things seem fine so far.
  We can't separate the two, because both check for _MOTIF_WM_INFO on
  the root window.  The option Dan seems to have put in a while back,
  ModalityIsEvil, was the key to getting Java working better for us.
  All it does is cause FVWM to emulate MWM's _MOTIF_WM_INFO:

BugOpts ModalityIsEvil 1
Style "AWT*" UsePPosition,UseTransientPPosition

  You might try with and without ``Style "AWT*" BackingStore'' too,
  since Java draws everything as pixmaps, which can be quite slow.

Good luck,

- Sidik

P.S.: This is with Sun JDK 1.3.1 and fvwm 2.4.1 with some patches.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]