Subject: Creating rpms for RedHat Linux

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:31:23 +0000

I am not sure when I will be able to return to creating rpms, so please
someone with RedHat systems create rpms for 2.4.2.

Creating rpms is as trivial as running one make command once you setup
the required environment, i.e. rpm-build installed, all devel libraries
needed for building fvwm installed, and in case of old rpm-build on RH 6.x
the user has permissions to write to /usr/src/redhat directory (newer
rpm-build uses $HOME/redhat for this purpose).

It is suggested that you use a stock RedHat 6.x and RedHat 7.x.
You may use a non-stock system, but ensure that you don't have standard
utilities like perl in /usr/local/bin or ~/bin, so resulting rpms work
for all users not only on your system. Test your rpm on an other system.

Here are the exact instructions:

Install GTK+, ncurses, readline, libstroke rpms and their devel parts.
Use rpms from http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/rpm/support/ if needed.
You should get support for all features except for gnome-libs, rplay and
multibyte that are disabled (you may enable multibyte at your own risk).

Get fvwm-2.4.2.tar.bz2 and unpack it.
Alternativelly using cvs execute: cvs update -r version-2_4_2

If you have RH 6.1 or RH 6.2 system:

  * run: make rpm-dist release=1
  * upload fvwm-2.4.2-1.i386.rpm and fvwm-2.4.2-1.src.rpm

If you have RH 7.0 with updates for glibc and gcc or RH 7.1 system:

  * run: make rpm-dist release=1.rh7
  * upload fvwm-2.4.2-1.rh7.i386.rpm

Upload rpms (after testing that they work) to ftp://upload.sf.net/incoming .
Unfortunately ftp port is closed now, so just upload to any place you can
and notify Olivier and me about this. I prefer Olivier to do all the rest.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]