Subject: SGI && Xinerama API

From: Stephane Rosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:11:30 +0200

Hi,

I'm preparing an SGI package of fvwm and I have a couple issues
with your implementation of Xinerama.

SGI is currently developing the Xinerama library as per the
latest spec (Actually SGI is even beyond the spec for certain
things)

It sounds like you're using an old spec. A couple differences :

Bool XineramaActive() replaces char XineramaIsActive()

XineramaScreenInfo *XineramaQueryScreens(disp, &count)
along with the typedef struct are not in the spec anymore.

An equivalent could be found by using XineramaGetScreenCount
and XineramaGetScreenSize, but the very latest spec will show
up a new function, XineramaGetData

so... a couple questions:

- how do we keep up on API spec changes (very often yet)
- is anybody following this very close ?
- I'll patch 2.4.2 for SGI use. Want the spec ?

Thanks!
Stephane

-- 
SILICON GRAPHICS                 EUROPEAN MANUFACTURING CENTER
##############################################################
Stephane Rosa                     Tel :     +41 (0)32 843-3638
Business Analyst                  Fax :     +41 (0)32 843-3909
APS/FP  Project                   GSM :     +41 (0)79 616-0828
--------------------------------------------------------------
ircnoc.neu.sgi.com  SGI Intranet  IRC :   EuroOper on #irchelp
irc.stealth.net     Euro-IRCNet   IRC :   Clipper on #radionet

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:08:39 +0700

> - how do we keep up on API spec changes (very often yet)

	All the Xinerama-API-related functionality is in 
libs/FScreen.c::FScreenInit(), and what it really needs is a) a function
to check if Xinerama is present at all,  b) a way to get a list of screen
rectangles (viewports to global screen).  Since all APIs (except old
PanoramixNNN one) supply these, it is a matter of simple "configure"
script logic plus a few #ifdef's in FScreen.c (like 

#if   defined(XINERAMA_API_XFREE86)
...
#elif defined(XINERAMA_API_XORG)
...
#endif

> - is anybody following this very close ?

	I'm the person who tries to track Xinerama API flavors.

> - I'll patch 2.4.2 for SGI use. Want the spec ?

	Yes, the spec is very welcome.  BTW, which spec is it?  There are
at least four APIs: 1) old PanoramixNNN; 2) XFree86's XineramaNNN (which
is the only API currently in use by WMs and toolkits); 3) Xinerama project
API (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xinerama/xinerama/xc/doc/XineramaApi.txt?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup);
4) X.org Xinerama task force product (which isn't published).  Probably #3
and #4 are related, but I'm not sure.

	_________________________________________
	  Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
	  [email-masked]
	  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics