Subject: Java's AWT misbehaves

From: Sidik Isani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:54:14 -1000 (HST)

Hello -

  Apparently Java's "AWT" widget stuff has a bad habit of taking over
  functions which are probably better left to the WM.  For example,
  allegedly it wants a way to figure out the width of the border
  which the WM added around it :-(  In 1999, the Enlightenment
  people had some discussion about this.  It's gone from their news
  page, but google still has it cached:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:MZArZ-4gVDU:www.deepsky.com/~e/news.html+AWT+window+position+resize+%22window+manager%22&hl=en

  [search for AWT] and the mail thread which led me there:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg09689.html

  We run jdk-1.3.1.  Windows pop up in the wrong places under FVWM1,
  but the sizes are correct.  Under FVWM2, windows themselves, or
  sometimes the widgets within the windows, pop up as 0x0!  Then when
  you try to resize the window, they flip back to the right size.
  Needless to say, this is pretty unusable for most people.  I'm
  guessing Java is doing something non-standard, because FVWM2 has
  been working quite flawlessly with every other application.
  (Although, I did have a "search string not found" popup from
  netscape which also came up 0x0 size just once ... strange.)

  I've experimented with all of the *Transient options, BackingStore
  (which, by the way, causes the window to be blank most of the
  time!?), No/UsePPosition,No/UseTransientPPosition,No/UseUSPosition,
  No/UseTransientUSPosition, SkipMapping, etc.  Nothing helps.  Has
  anyone seen this before?  Some kind of hack Style which we could
  apply to "AWT*" in our .fvwm2rc's as a work-around could be useful.
  Reportedly, CDE, KDE, and Enlightenment now work (but Sun supposedly
  put a special hack into Java just for Enlightenment).  FVWM1 also
  kind of worked.  Do they do anything fundamentally differently
  from FVWM2?

  If this is a new problem, can someone give me some advice on how
  to capture a log of what the misbehaving windows are trying to do?

Be seeing you,

- Sidik
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:22:53 +0700

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Sidik Isani wrote:

[SNIP]
>   kind of worked.  Do they do anything fundamentally differently

	I've experienced different (but probably closely related) problem
with Java.  That was jdk-1.1.5 (yes, I know it is very old) and Miralilis'
ICQJava (yes, I know that it is totally a bugware).

	When using fvwm-2.4, all ICQ popup windows (e.g. user info,
messages etc.) flash for a moment and disappear.  If the same is done
under TWM (which uses ManualPlacement), each window appears *twice* --
first in some "random" place (under the mouse?), and than in exactly the
same place.

	Fvwm-2.2.4 didn't have this problem, so this supposedly can
(should?) be fixed, but I don't have a precise idea about why it works as
it works.  Can somebody please make comments on it (in fact, general notes
regarding Java + WM, or some pointers to such info) will be very
interesting.

	_________________________________________
	  Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
	  [email-masked]
	  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:58:01 -0400

> >   We run jdk-1.3.1.  Windows pop up in the wrong places under FVWM1,
...
> Can somebody please make comments on it (in fact, general notes

This has been discussed on this list a few times.
The bottom line seems to be that there are bugs in Java.

Consider getting a Java Bugtrac login and voting for the following
bugs to be fixed:

4481877
4401846
4102292

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]