Subject: Re: FvwmButtons core dump

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:46:28 +0200

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:40:46AM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 08:06:42AM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> > I get a FvwmButtons core dump when I change colorsets and the buttons
> > contains swallowed shaped app.
> > 
> > .......
> >
> Thiss core dump isn't very helpful.  Obviously an X error occured
> that was not handled and then the routine that should generate the
> core dump crashed (probably by accessing an array index of
> (unsigned char)-1 ).
> 
> T'll submit a fix for the crash in XError.c.  Please try to make
> that happen again then.  Also, I tried to reproduce this, but
> could not.  If the problem does not become obvious with a proper
> core dump, can you please provide more information on the bug?
> 

The fix is obvious: I've added BadPixmap as an "acceptable errors"
in myErrorHandler ...

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:59:38 +0200

> The fix is obvious: I've added BadPixmap as an "acceptable errors"

I don't think the fix is obvious.  The PrintXError... routine was
called with nonsense parameters and crashed.  Simply not calling
it does not fix the underlying problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:45:42 +0200

> it does not fix the underlying problem.

I say it is obvious because I just have to add one line and this line
can be found in some modules:

[olivier@snoopy modules]$ grep -r "BadPixmap" * |grep "^Fvwm"
FvwmButtons/FvwmButtons.c:     || (event->error_code == BadPixmap))
FvwmIconBox/FvwmIconBox.c:  if (event->error_code == BadPixmap)
FvwmIconMan/x.c:  case BadPixmap:
FvwmIconMan/x.c~:  case BadPixmap:
FvwmScript/FvwmScript.c:  if((event->error_code == BadDrawable) || (event->error_code == BadPixmap) ||
FvwmScript/FvwmScript.c~:  if((event->error_code == BadDrawable) || (event->error_code == BadPixmap) ||
FvwmTaskBar/FvwmTaskBar.c:  if (event->error_code == BadPixmap)
FvwmWinList/FvwmWinList.c:  if (event->error_code == BadPixmap)

however one may found a better fix (I've gotten the same core and
ErrorHandler message after your handler fix). Maybe the swallowed
app which cause the problem (a "Window Maker" applet) do something
irregular or nonstandard.

Olivier