Subject: Some quirky things with xinerama.

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:56:41 +0930

I'm using a stock redhat7.1 system, except I've upgraded to XFree 4.1.0
and have two monitor's with xinerama support working happily.

But!... and this may actually be a fvwm-themes-devel question...
   
With Screen1 LeftOf Screen0
|-------------| |----------|
|             | |          |
|  Screen1    | | Screen0  |
|             | |          |
|             | |      ####|####
|-------------| |----------|

I'm finding strange quirky things like WindowList and other menus
popping up on either screen. For instance I'm using latest fvwm cvs as
well as fvwm-themes cvs, and choose CDE themes half of the cde button
bar module appears halfway off the screen of Screen0 which is on the
right like the #'s in the above diagram. And if you manually drag it
into view say to Screen1 which I have on the left, then clicking on any
menu on the cde button bar the menu pops up on Screen0 which is on the
right!?

So, is that my fault for trying to do things back to front?

Alex
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:08:45 +0200

> With Screen1 LeftOf Screen0

Since screen 1 is bigger in the picture, I guess that it it the
screen your work on primarily.  It looks as if the button bar
would fit nicely on screen 1.  Try using

  XineramaPrimaryScreen 1

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:20:32 +0200

> With Screen1 LeftOf Screen0

fvwm-themes is not Xinerama compliant. This will be on the TODO
list. Adding a line of the form:

PipeRead 'echo "*FvwmButtons-Panel: Geometry 860x77+"`expr "(" $[vp.width] - 860 ")" / 2`"-0@0"'
           ^^
to your modules-extra should fix the cde buttons geometry.
BTW, maybe it will be good to have some Xinerama support in
"COMMAND EXPANSION" (e.g., new variables) and FvwmM4.
About the menus popup by the cde button the problems come
from cfg lines of the form:

*FvwmButtons-Panel: (3x2+33+0, Frame 1, Icon module/large/panel-arrow.xpm, \
Padding 1 1, Colorset 11, \
Action 'Menu MenuFvwmSystem rectangle $widthx$height+$left+$top o+50 -100m')

*Maybe* this is a FvwmButtons/fvwm2/Xinerama bugs or miss feature.
I do not know.

Olivier

---

From: Alex Wallis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:53:22 +0930

> would fit nicely on screen 1.  Try using

Oh, I just can't draw. Both monitors are at the same size and same res
of 1024x768 at 16 bpp, but the left is a 16M savage4 card and the right
has a 4M ATI card. The left monitor should also be capable of 1600 x
1200, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work with different
sizes.

>   XineramaPrimaryScreen 1

That fixes the menus on the cde button bar module, but the built-in
WindowList(right click) or windowops menus appear on the left when
right-clicking on the right desktop on Screen0?

Many thanks again. :)

Alex

---

From: Sidik Isani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:05:04 -1000 (HST)

Alex -

  Somehow the defaults for the WindowList command (with no arguments)
  do not select the "current screen."  You can fix that in your fvwmrc.
  There's a similar problem with windows that have user position
  (e.g., -geometry).  Right now it seems all such windows must specify
  their geometry relative to the "global" screen.  I made a patch
  which allows the following setting to change that:

Style * StartsOnScreen c

  I re-did it yesterday so it goes through FScreen.c to properly
  handle unequal screen sizes.  I'll post this patch tomorrow.

  You can probably fix your WindowList already:

Mouse 2 R A WindowList Mouse 0 0 CurrentDesk
Key Tab A M WindowList Root c c CurrentDesk,NoIcons,NoGeometry

- Sidik