Subject: Notification: incoming/767

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:43:36 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/767

Message summary for PR#767
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: fvwm 2.4.0 on HP-UX breaks xterm etc.
	Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:43:35 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Thu Aug 23 20:43:36 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: fvwm 2.4.0 on HP-UX breaks xterm etc.
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:43:35 -0500

Full_Name: Matthias K. Buelow
Version: 2.4.0
CVS_Date: 
OS: HP-UX 10.20
X_Server: HP-UX 10.20 shipped version
Submission from: (NULL) (194.145.150.157)

Context: fvwm 2.4.0 on HP-UX 10.20, on a Model 9000 712/60 workstation.
Linked against xpm, no imlib, no readline, built with HP's optional
ANSI C compiler for 10.20.  Single module running is FvwmPager.
The problem shows up no matter if fvwm is built with X11R5 or X11R6
headers/libs.

fvwm 2.4.0 heavily messes up tty handling in xterm, hpterm and rxvt.
The problem does not show up in dtterm (CDE terminal) under fvwm 2.4.0.

The problem manifests itself in non-working interrupt keys, however
all a bit different in the various terminals and it depends on the shell
being used:

In xterm (both X11R5 as well as X11R6) with ksh and /bin/sh, SIGINTR
doesn't occur at all (intr is bound to ^C, ^C does nothing, doesn't
even echo).  For all other commands, the first character typed into
the command line is echoed before the command's own output.  TERM is
set to xterm.  The problem also shows up after TERM is set to vt100
and xterm was reset.

In rxvt with ksh and /bin/sh, SIGINTR doesn't work and ^C is echoed.
The first character typed is not echoed before a command's output.
TERM is set to xterm.

With hpterm, the problem is similar to rxvt.  TERM is hpterm.

With dtterm, everything works normally.

The problem does not show up with csh, in any terminal.
The problem _does_ show up after rlogin to a NetBSD machine, with yet
another shell (pdksh), so it seems to be some trouble with the X
terminal emulator in use.

When starting some programs, such as /bin/ed in a defective terminal
session, Ctrl+C works all right in that program.  It does not work
in vi, though, so this seems to be some messed up behaviour with the
terminal line discipline regarding canonical mode and cbreak/raw mode
(csh is also using canonical mode, ksh is using a combination of
canonical and cbreak mode) or whatever.

Why I believe this to be an fvwm 2.4.0 problem is because it does
not show up in in twm, ctwm, mwm, CDE, xfce and blackbox aswell as
fvwm 1.24r (which I have been using mainly until now.)

This is a rather serious problem since it effectively disables the
use of fvwm 2.4.0 on that particular system (unless you restrict
yourself to dtterm.)

The problem does not occur on my NetBSD box, which is running the
same version of fvwm.

More information will be provided on request.  I can help debugging
this problem, I'll have a look into it this weekend.

--mkb

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]