Subject: Incompatible change to FvwmBacker?

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:57:18 -0400

One of our users has this:

*FvwmBackerDesk 0 Exec audioplay ${FVWMAUDIO}/kurtsounds/oh.au
*FvwmBackerDesk 1 Exec audioplay ${FVWMAUDIO}/kurtsounds/1.au

Before FVWM 2.4.0, this announced Desk changes but not Page changes.
Now a page change or a desk change is announced.

I set him up with FvwmEvent:

KillModule FvwmEvent
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent:*
*FvwmEvent: PassID
*FvwmEvent: Cmd Exec
*FvwmEvent: new_desk /usr/local/bin/deskannounce
Module FvwmEvent

where, /usr/local/bin/deskannounce
uses arg 1 to figure out which sound to play.

Did I miss something when I concluded that FvwmBacker can no
longer do what it did before?

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:23:34 -0700

> Now a page change or a desk change is announced.

I seem to recall a problem we discovered in FvwmBacker related to
"spurious" new-desk/new-page events received by the modules. I don't
know if it was ever resolved adequately.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
There is too much blood in my caffeine system
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:12:59 +0200

> know if it was ever resolved adequately.

As far as I know it was, but I don't remember the details.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:40:03 +0100

> longer do what it did before?

No, if FvwmBacker does what the man page says:

     *FvwmBackerCommand (Desk d, Page x y) command
          Specifies the command  to  execute  when  the  viewport
          matches the arguments for the desk d, page x coordinate
          and y coordinate. Any or all  of  these  three  numeric
          arguments can be replaced with an asterisk (*) to indi-
          cate that any value matches, in this case Desk or  Page
          parts can be skipped.

          Note these three lines are equivalent:

          *FvwmBackerCommand (Page * *, Desk *) -solid navy
          *FvwmBackerCommand () -solid navy
          *FvwmBackerCommand -solid navy

plus this:

     There is continued support for the now deprecated option:

     *FvwmBackerDesk d command

          It is functionally equivalent to using an asterisk  for
          both page coordinates with *FvwmBackerCommand.

So "*FvwmBackerDesk 0 ..." gets translated to "*FvwmBackerCommand (Page
* *, Desk 0) ..." which isn't quite the same thing. There seems to be no
way to stop FvwmBacker doing its thing when the page changes and the
desk matches.

I think we should change the behaviour of FvwmBacker when the Page
specifers are not included so that it _doesn't_ do its thing if only the
page changes. Similarly if the Desk specifier is not included it
_shouldn't_ do its thing when only the desk changes. Then translating
"*FvwmBackerDesk 0 ..." into "*FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0) ..." would
work in the old way.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:44:54 +0200

> "*FvwmBackerDesk 0 ..." into "*FvwmBackerCommand (Desk 0) ..." would

Done.  Omitting either Desk or Page now indicates to ignore desk
or page changes.

  FvwmBackerDesk n ... 

is equivalent to

  FvwmBackerCommand (Desk n) ...

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]