Subject: FvwmButtons doesn't like multiple Actions with whitespace separation

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:41:33 +0100

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: SunOS silver 5.5.1 Generic_103640-35 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2
prefix: /u/phippst/sunos

FVWM Version:	2.4.1-beta1
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/libexec/fvwm/2.4.1-beta1
FVWM_DATADIR:	/u/phippst/sunos/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	/u/phippst/.fvwm

Repeat-By:

*Xloads: (Title pomeranian Action "my_host_panel_launch pomeranian" Action (Mouse 2) "echo button 2 pomeranian")

Xloads: Illegal button option "echo button 2 pomeranian"

Workaround:
	Separation with commas works OK
*Xloads: (Title pomeranian, Action "my_host_panel_launch pomeranian", Action (Mouse 2) "echo button 2 pomeranian")
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:40:19 +0200

> *Xloads: (Title pomeranian, Action "my_host_panel_launch pomeranian", Action (Mouse 2) "echo button 2 pomeranian")

I don't think this is a bug.  Omitting the commas between the
options is not officially supported.  This happens because
FvwmButtons treats all text up to the next "," or ")" as the
action.  The ")" is meant to catch the end of the option but
accidentally catches the last character of "(Mouse 2)".  Instead
it should have treated the rest of the line as the action.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:42:30 +0100

> options is not officially supported.  This happens because

OK then can we change the FvwmButtons man page and add a note in NEWS:

     *FvwmButtons: (options) [title icon command]
          Specifies the contents of a button  in  the  buttonbox.
          The  following  options,  separated  by  commas or whi-
          tespace, can be given a button:

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:08:14 +0200

>           tespace, can be given a button:

Hm.  I wasn't aware of this.  A long time ago I rewrote the parser
for actions to allow for actions without quotes.  But now it's
impossible to distinguish between the action and the next option
without the comma.  I still think we'd rather stick with the
current code, but you are right that this has to be properly
documented .  I'm a bit unsure how to phrase this and where to put
it.  Could you think about a man page patch for this?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^