Subject: A naive Xinerama question

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:05:22 +0200

Hello,

I have a very naive Xinerama question:
Is it possible to send to modules a "M_NEW_SCREEN" message
when the mouse pointer change of screen?

BTW, I think that the change Xinerama{Enable,Disable} -> Xinerama
is not very good: it is difficult to a configuration tool or a user
new to Xinerama to know if Xinerama is enabled or not. With
Xinerama{Enable,Disable} we know where we go as with the Xinerama
command even an experimented user should try a command or an action
to see if Xinerama is enabled or not and predict the effect of this
command.

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:09:50 +0700

> when the mouse pointer change of screen?

	Technicaly it isn't possible -- X server wouldn't generate
"EnterScreenNotify" events, since Xinerama screens look like a single
large screen.  

	If this behaviour is really needed, fvwm itself should always
check if XineramaScreen(curx,cury)!=XineramaScreen(oldx,oldy), which can
be time consuming.  And there's another pitfall -- screens may overlap, so
that "screen where the pointer on" concept becomes somewhat dubious (but
that's a pathological case, and we use this concept anyway for determining
a rectangle to clip menus etc. to).

	BTW, Olivier, can you please tell where this behaviour can be
useful?  I tried to imagine such situations with no results, but something
tells me they *must* exist.

	_________________________________________
	  Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov
	  [email-masked]
	  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:24:25 +0200

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:05:22PM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> new to Xinerama to know if Xinerama is enabled or not.

Er, what is the big difference between

  XineramaEnable
  XineramaDisable

and

  Xinerama on
  Xinerama off

?  It just saves the additional commands.  And I can't think of
any fvwm command that has an "off" and an "on" version.  On the
other hand it makes module configuration a lot easier.  Fvwm can
simply send the whole string after "Xinerama" to the module which
in turn passes it to a Xinerama library function to configure
itself.  Also, many commands already use the boolean argument
type, so why not this one?

> With

It almost never makes sense to turn off Xinerama anyway.  If there
is only one screen it is a no-op.  If you have more than one
screen, not using Xinerama support is a pain.  The only situation
I can think of where this is not desirable is with a very big,
tiled screen composed of many monitors, e.g. on a trade fair.  In
this case we can expect that the tech people are able to read the
man page.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:27:12 -0400

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> any fvwm command that has an "off" and an "on" version.

Iconify on
Iconify off

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:57:06 +0200

> > any fvwm command that has an "off" and an "on" version.

That's what I said.  You have one command with an "on" and an
"off" option instead of "Iconify" and "Deiconify".  This makes
toggling these settings possible in the first place.  My wording
was a bit unfortunate, perhaps.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^