Subject: Re: Notification: incoming/753

From: Pete Gelbman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:44:28 -0700

Yes, you're completely correct - the problem is only a *FvwmPager: SloppyFocus 
thing, and nothing related to ClickTime.

It would probably be nice to have the FvwmPager man page updated to reflect 
the limitation of the *FvwmPager: SloppyFocus option when used in conjunction 
with other window focus methods. That way I would have never bothered you! :)

Thanks

>>>>> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Dominik Vogt wrote:

  Dominik> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 06:57:18PM -0700, Pete Gelbman wrote:

  +> > >>>> On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Dominik Vogt wrote:

  Dominik> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 05:19:06PM -0500, fvwm-bug wrote:

  +> FVWM Bug Tracking notification

  +> new message incoming/753

  +> Message summary for PR#753 From: [email-masked] Subject: SloppyFocus
  +> sometimes won't refocus properly Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:19:05 -0500 0
  +> replies 0 followups

  +> Full_Name: Pete Gelbman Version: 2.4.0 CVS_Date:  OS: Solaris 2.6
  +> X_Server: ? Submission from: (NULL) (199.74.167.132)

  +> I've used SloppyFocus as my default window focus for a long time. Since
  +> our sys-admin upgrading to 2.4 recently (and after migrating my .fvwm2rc
  +> of course) I notice that after changing desktops, when moving my mouse
  +> quickly back into the window that last had the focus before I switched
  +> desktops, focus does not aquire properly. I have to move my mouse out of
  +> the window and back in again so make it work. I'm now using MouseFocus as
  +> my default window focus style and it work fine that way.

  Dominik> Could you try to give me detailed instructions on how to reproduce
  Dominik> this?  The problem seems to be timing related and I don't know
  Dominik> exactly what I have to do (please include your config file and also
  Dominik> describe where the used windows are).

  +> Hi Dominic,

  +> Thanks for the response. Two things:

  +> - First I need to amend my initial report - I thought problem went away
  +> when changing to MouseFocus instead of SloppyFocus but actually it
  +> remained the same.

  +> - 2nd, I think I found the problem - when upgrading my .fvwm2rc to new 2.4
  +> format, I also decided to change my "ClickTime" from my old setting of
  +> 350 to 150 for some reason.  I guess I saw a 150ms in one of the samples
  +> and thought "quicker must be better". Anyhow I diffed my old config and
  +> new config today and noticed this. I changed my ClickTime back to my
  +> old setting of 350 and the problem went away. So, it was my own config
  +> issue, but I think the quicker time may definitely be triggering a timing
  +> problem, as you mentioned.  Especially since the value causing me trouble
  +> is the default...? Or maybe this whole thing is still caused by some
  +> weirdness in my config file that I can't see...If so sorry, about the
  +> hassle...

  +> Anyway, attached is my .fvwm2rc file. In this version, I've left ClickTime
  +> set to 150 so you can just source and hopefully see the issue. Here are
  +> some more details to try to reproduce the problem:

  +> - I'm working with several windows open on on desktop 0 0.

  +> - Now I want to change to desktop 1 0. So I click my mouse on desktop 1 0
  +> in my pager. I go there, do some work in a few diff windows - everything
  +> is fine.

  +> - Now I want to go back to my original destop 0 0. So I click my mouse on
  +> desktop 0 0 to back. I go there but when I position my mouse over a window
  +> the windows doesn't get focused. The only way to get it focused is to move
  +> my mouse out of the windows and back in.

  +> Note: this doesn't happen all the time. I assumed this was due to feature
  +> changes or some issue with my new .fvwm2rc, but I poked around for a long
  +> time and can't see any problems...

  Dominik> I don't think it's the ClickTime setting.  You have

  Dominik> #*FvwmPager: SloppyFocus

  Dominik> in your config file.  A similar problem occurs when this is used
  Dominik> with MouseFocus or SloppyFocus.  Is that perhaps something you
  Dominik> changed along with the ClickTime?

  Dominik> Let's assume you click in a new page in the pager.  While fvwm is
  Dominik> mapping and unmapping windows, move the pointer out of the pager to
  Dominik> a place where a window will be mapped later.  Everything works fine
  Dominik> yet.  But if you move the pointer over one of the mini windows in
  Dominik> the pager, the pager tries to focus it while fvwm is still changing
  Dominik> pages.  In the end, you get a random result, depending on the exact
  Dominik> timing.

  Dominik> Bye

  Dominik> Dominik ^_^ ^_^

  Dominik> -- Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked] LifeBits
  Dominik> Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen fon: ++49 (0)
  Dominik> 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20

-- 

~Pete

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 13:57:53 +0200

> with other window focus methods. That way I would have never bothered you! :)

Yes, I know, I should have done this before.  I've already
committed a patch.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]