Subject: Latest cvs commits breaks build (FreeBSD)

From: "Andre Goeree" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Jul 2001 06:00:18 -0000

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: FreeBSD mandark.attica.home 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #4: Tue Jul  3 21:40:50 CEST 2001     [email-masked]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
Compiler: cc
Compilation CFLAGS: -O -pipe
prefix: /home/ago/sys

FVWM Version:	2.4.0.1
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/home/ago/sys/libexec/fvwm/2.4.0.1
FVWM_DATADIR:	/home/ago/sys/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	/home/ago/.fvwm

Description:
	After the latest cvs update, the following error occures:

ago@mandark$ make build install strip
cd fvwm && gmake
cd . && aclocal
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/sdl11.m4: 11: duplicated macro `AM_PATH_SDL'
gmake: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
*** Error code 2

INFO:
automake: version 1.4
fvwm:	2.4.1

Repeat-By:

cd /srcdir/fvwm
./configure
gmake clean

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:25:36 +0000

> ago@mandark$ make build install strip

What is it, some ports system? If yes, how does it work regarding cvs?

> gmake: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

I can't reproduce any problems on systems I have. I don't have sdl11.m4
though. Try this in the top directory:

  % autoreconf
  % automake -a
  % ./configure [params]
  % make

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: "Andre Goeree" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 20:36:33 +0200

> What is it, some ports system? If yes, how does it work regarding
cvs?

No, it's the Makefile for the fvwm-cvs directory :)
I keep all software that i update in one directory tree, each with
it's own Makefile so that i don't have to remember all config options
or when to use gmake etc. It works pretty well, the root of it has a
Makefile to include with common targets. One of the targets is
"cd ${SRCDIR} && cvs update" (that's all CVS magic there is:). 
Also all software that isn't part of FreeBSD (or ports) gets installed
in my homedir which makes it easy to maintain, no root access
necessary and i can't screw up the system;) (fvwm is also in ports).

> though. Try this in the top directory:

You can forget about this bugreport, the cause was something i did
right before updating fvwm: I installed a game with some dependencies
(SDL) that broke automake on my system. Deinstalling the stuff fixed
it. Fvwm builds now as fine and easy as usual :) Sorry to have
bothered you, i should have checked first 8-/

Regards,
Andre.