Subject: Re: Regarding fvwm-2.4 RPM

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:45:20 +0200

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 10:38:03AM +0700, Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov wrote:
>     Hi!
> 
>     First, the package is named "fvwm", not "fvwm2", which prevents
> it from being a drop-in replacement for RedHat's RPM.  It "-provides"
> the "fvwm" capability, which is a bit wrong, since there's no "fvwm"
> binary inside.  Additionaly, some people still use fvwm-1.24, and
> naming the current version simply "fvwm" will confuse them (since
> recommended "rpm -Uvh" will remove fvwm-1).
> 
>     Is it possible to rename the package to fvwm2?  (Yes, fvwm2-2.4
> looks a bit weird, but it is an existing practice).

If that does not suit you, I recommend you build fvwm from the
sources and do not use the rpm.  There was so much confusion about
the naming of the various fvwm releases in the past.  I am very
reluctant to start over with this.  Nowadays, fvwm release 2.x is
simply called "fvwm" throughout the documentation and the plan is
to keep it this way.  There are only two places where the "2"
still shows up: in the name of the executable and the name of the
config file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]