Subject: 2.4 ready to be released

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:39:37 +0200

Okay folks,

even if I drop dead before tomorrow, that should not stop the
release.  All there is left to do:

 - Test the tarballs in the testing directory.
 - Rename the tarballs to fvwm-2.4.0.tar.{gz,bz2}
 - Regenerate/update the web page.
 - Move the tarballs to the proper place.
 - Announce the release.

I have already taken care of everything that has to be done in CVS
for the release (so, if this tarball does not become the release
tarball, the fvwm-2.4.0 tag has to be moved to the new file
versions).  If nothing comes until tomorrow, 6 PM (GMT), it's
release time.  Jason, can you update the web page and send the
announcement then?

Guess it's time to put the Champagne in the Refrigerator :o)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 21:20:19 -0400

>  - Test the tarballs in the testing directory.

I downloaded the tar.gz, compiled it with Suns Compiler and Suns
Make.  Seems to be good.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:46:22 +0200

> release time.  Jason, can you update the web page and send the

I have found a little problem in the tar ball and I've no solution
to solve it.

I do not know why but modules/FvwmScript/Scripts/FvwmScript-Setup95
is in the tarball (only the .in version should be in it).
FvwmScript-Setup95 is removed (normal) and build (not normal at all)
when we do a make dist. When building fvwm FvwmScript-Setup95 is
not rebuild from FvwmScript-Setup95.in. So, FvwmScript-Setup95
will work only if the prefix=/usr/local (or an other recent
version of fvwm is installed with this prefix ...).

The only fix I see is to do the following:
gunzip fvwm-2.4.0-pre2.tar.gz
tar -delete -vf fvwm-2.4.0-pre2.tar fvwm-2.4.0/modules/FvwmScript/Scripts/FvwmScript-Setup95
gzip fvwm-2.4.0-pre2.tar

This is really only a partial fix since it does not seems that
FvwmScript-Setup95 is rebuild at the second configure even
if Makefile's are modified (say by changing the prefix).
Note that modules/FvwmScript/Scripts/Makefile.am is really
similar to modules/FvwmForm/Makefile.am but FvwmForm-Setup is not
in the tarball, however, if you do
./configure; make; ./configure --prefix=/foo; make; make install
FvwmForm-Setup is not rebuild at the second make and so
does not work ... (need a make clean before the second make;
work also for FvwmScript-Setup95)

> Guess it's time to put the Champagne in the Refrigerator :o)

I have only one or two Hoegaarden in my frigerator but
I do not think that this problem should stop the procedure.
I think we will see others small problems in the next few days,
and it will be good to release 2.4.1 in a short time.

Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 01:38:13 +0000

> version of fvwm is installed with this prefix ...).

Oh, true. Both rpms suffer from this problem, i.e. they have broken
Setup95. So new users will get the initial menu with a non-working item.

> tar -delete -vf fvwm-2.4.0-pre2.tar fvwm-2.4.0/modules/FvwmScript/Scripts/FvwmScript-Setup95

Good hack, but then this should be done by everyone who does
"cvs update -r version-2_4_0".

> work also for FvwmScript-Setup95)

I may fix these rebuilding problems too.

> and it will be good to release 2.4.1 in a short time.

Well, the only true error is inclusion of FvwmScript-Setup95 into the
tarball, others are not critical, "make clean" fixes them for now,
so I will see whether they are worthy fixing too.

I don't know whether 2.4.0 is announced yet, I suppose it is not.
I will fix this error and retag changed files.

Then I will "make distclean2; cvs update -r version-2_4_0; make distcheck2",
on other machine, rename and upload fvwm-2.4.0-pre3.tar.{gz,bz2} files and
Jason will rename them to fvwm-2.4.0.tar.{gz,bz2} tommorow.

Anyway, nothing critical happened. We may continue a celebration. :)

Regards,
Mikhael.