Subject: Klaus Zeitler: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 does not manage Rational RoseRT windows

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:36:16 -0400

FYI:

To: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FVWM: fvwm2 does not manage Rational RoseRT windows
From: Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Jul 2001 12:26:54 +0200

Hi Dan,

it's been a while that we had a discussion about RoseRT and its nice way of
ignoring window managers. I received some final statements from Rational on
that subject and thought I pass them along.

For starters here's an excerpt of our discussion in April:

>>>>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:16:01 -0400, Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
>>>>> said:
    Dan> 
    Dan> Klaus Zeitler <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> >>>>> Dan Espen writes:
    Dan> 
    Dan> Maybe someone did a local mod at your site and they are unsetting
    Dan> that environment variable in a startup wrapper for the application?
    >> great idea (why didn't I think of that?). I checked and found out that
    >> the RoseRT startup script explicitly sets MWWM to nothing. That wasn't
    >> any local change by the way. It's in the official startup script. So
    >> maybe a note should be added in the FAQ that the RoseRT startup script
    >> unsets this variable.  I'm going to report this to Rational and I'll
    >> follow up to this mail in case they'll give me some useful feedback.
    Dan> 
    Dan> Thats strange.  It seems to contradict what it says in their knowledge
    Dan> base.   The knowledge base doesn't mention modifying their script.
    Dan> I'll wait to hear from you  before I update  the FAQ.  When you
    Dan> do  get back, I'd  like to identify the  script by name.  Is it really
    Dan> RoseRT?  Probably the release would also be helpful.
    Dan> 
    Dan> Why don't you find out if RationalRose support or MainWin support
    Dan> is as responsive as Fvwm support, and check with them?
    >> well they certainly can't beat the support here :-). Can't be any
    >> quicker or better.
    >> 

Now here's the final statement from Rational:

-------------------------- snip -------------

I have checked with Mainsoft, and they indicate there should not be any
issues with using MWWM=ALLWM as long as the window manager is ICCCM
compliant.

The only issue of note is related to dockable toolbars, I am including the
Mainsoft release note.
 
If the client is working better with MWWM set, then they should continue to
do so.

So if it's working fine for you, i.e. you don't have any problems with the
dockable toolbars, continue to have MWWM set to allwm .

---------------------------------------------

And here's the Mainsoft release note (that doesn't tell me much :-):

-------------------------- snip -------------

Chapter 6 of Visual MainWin Release Notes:(same applied to MainWin 3.4 Build 68)
....
MFC toolbar docking problems when environment variable MWWM is set to allwm
Previously, when a toolbar developed using Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) was part of an application ported to Unix, and the environment variable MWWM for the ported application was set to allwm, the toolbar would fail to redock when moved from a floating position. In addition, double-clicking on the toolbar title to return it from a floating to a fixed position did not work. Mainsoft has corrected these problems, as follows:

Dragging the toolbar from a floating to a fixed position now redocks it.

To solve the double-click problem, Mainsoft added a redock option to the toolbar's system menu. Note that this workaround only applies to and works for Motif-compliant window managers. To redock the menu, open the System menu and choose Redock. The toolbar returns to its previous fixed position.

This improved functionality also applies to all ported Stingray applications.

---------------------------------------------

Nevertheless they still explicitly unset MWWM in their RoseRT startup script,
i.e. a user who wants to change this needs either a local modified copy of
the startup script or has to convince the sysadmin to change this variable in
the official installation.
Checked this with their latest and greatest :-( version 2001A.04.00.

For what it's worth I haven't had any problems that seemed related to this
change in all these weeks (though I'm having a bunch of problems with
RoseRT :-().

Thanks again for your quick help

Have a nice day

Klaus

-- 
 ------------------------------------------
|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [email-masked]  |
 ------------------------------------------
---
I took a course in speed reading and was able to read War and Peace
in twenty minutes.  It's about Russia.               -- Woody Allen
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]