Subject: Solaris Xinerama

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:06:28 -0400

Based on the man page, Solaris 8's Xserver supports Xinerama.
There is no libXinerama so the configure test fails.
There is also no header in X11/extensions.

I don't know if there is some other way to detect Xinerama.
I didn't see anything obvious in libs/XineramaSupport.c.

Perhaps the man page should identify this as an XFree86 only
feature.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:06:15 +0700

On 25 Jul 01 at 21:24, [email-masked]. wrote:

>     No, AFAIK, what is currently used is the only way (well, how can we
> support Xinerama w/o libXinerama)?
>
>     BTW, official X.org's R6.5.1 (or whatever is current) is a good place to
> look at, I'll do it.

    Done.  R6.6 ships with only panoramiX, which is absolutely
unsatisfactory (while is also supported by libXinerama).

    The main problem in "PanoramiX" interface is insufficient screen info --
it doesn't supply screen origins, only sizes.  This is solved in "Xinerama"
interface, which was written by Mark Vojkovich for XFree86, and hence is
currently XFree86-specific.

       ___________________________________________________________________
       Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov  |  Novosibirsk, RUSSIA
       phone (383-2)-39-49-56     |  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
                                  |  Lab. 5-13
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:25:36 +0700

On 25 Jul 01 at 11:04, [email-masked] wrote:

[SNIP]
> Odd that it doesn't list Xinerama.
> The Xsun man page says I should do "xinit +xinerama" to get Xinerama
> support.  Perhaps the extension only shows when you do that.

    Right.  An interesting fact is that Xnest also supports Xinerama (and
it shows in a list of extensions if "+xinerama" is specified), but all
screens always share the same (0,0) position, and I haven't find a way to
configure it.

> I did find this:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2001-June/msg00279.html

    Well, people in that thread give the same result -- Solaris machines
look like non-Xinerama-enabled.

    Mark V. pointed me to X.org's Xinerama task force, but they haven't
released any docs/standards yet, and god knows when they will.  Anyway,
current XFree's interface is already widespread (it is used by at least E,
SawFish (or is it SawMill?), Oroborus and Gnome).

    Even if the interface changes in the future, we'll have no problems
adapting to it -- everything is incapsulated in
XineramaSupport::XineramaSupportInit() (plus little checks in configure).

P.S. There's no need to CC -- I'm on the list.