Subject: CVS dane fvwm-web: * generated/manpages/man-pages.html: Bring man pages up to 2.4.0 level.

From: FVWM CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:04:15 -0500

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm-web
Changes by:	dane	01/07/03 21:04:15

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	generated/manpages: FvwmAnimate.html FvwmAuto.html 
	                    FvwmBacker.html FvwmBanner.html 
	                    FvwmButtons.html FvwmCommand.html 
	                    FvwmConsole.html FvwmConsoleC.html 
	                    FvwmCpp.html FvwmDebug.html FvwmEvent.html 
	                    FvwmForm.html FvwmIconBox.html 
	                    FvwmIconMan.html FvwmIdent.html FvwmM4.html 
	                    FvwmPager.html FvwmRearrange.html 
	                    FvwmSave.html FvwmSaveDesk.html 
	                    FvwmScript.html FvwmScroll.html 
	                    FvwmTaskBar.html FvwmWharf.html 
	                    FvwmWinList.html focus-link.html fvwm2.html 
	                    man-pages.html xpmroot.html 
Removed files:
	generated/manpages: FvwmAudio.html FvwmConfig.html 
	                    FvwmGoodStuff.html FvwmTalk.html 

Log message:
* generated/manpages/man-pages.html: Bring man pages up to 2.4.0 level.
Remove FvwmAudio,Config,GoodStuff,Talk.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:14:02 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
>                             fvwm2.html

Looks like you have the same problem formatting fvwm man pages as I do.
>From the fvwm2.html:

SYNOPSIS

     fvwm2 [-blackout] [-clientId id] [-cmd  config_command]  [-d
     displayname

DESCRIPTION

     Fvwm is a window manager for X11.  It is designed to  minim-
...

Most of the options are missing. I just thought it was my ancient
solaris man command (it doesn't work well for lots of man pages). Can
anyone with CVS generate these pages correctly?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:21:09 -0400

>      fvwm2 [-blackout] [-clientId id] [-cmd  config_command]  [-d

I got the same result on Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.  Only my Linux
machine would generate a SYNOPSIS more than one line long.

I fixed the web  pages, but that leaves us  with a man page that still
don't display right on at least 3 major OSs.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 10:44:10 -0400

> don't display right on at least 3 major OSs.

On Solaris in man(5) there is this:

     Any text argument t may be zero to six words.

In this case, 
"t" is in the man macro:

.BI t

There are lots of places in the fvwm2 man page where .BI is
used with more than 6 arguments.

Our man pages used to deal with this is \fI, \fB, etc.
The comment at the beginning of the fvwm2 man page contains:

.\" Formating instructions for the fvwm man page:
.\"
.\"  - Do not use \f... formatting instructions.
.\"  - Avoid single and double quotes wherever possible.
.\"
.\" For further details, please refer to the Linux Man-Page how-to.

This seems to be a bad idea.