Subject: Re: fvwm-ewmh-0.3 - Extended WM Hints for FVWM

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:36:30 +0200

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:00:04PM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> I am glad to announce the third release of fvwm-ewmh: version 0.3
> 
> fvwm-ewmh is made up of a module, FvwmNetHints, and a patch against
> the last stable FVWM source tree (fvwm-2.4.0). With these, FVWM can
> handle Extended Window Manager Hints from the freedesktop group.
> This allows running FVWM with KDE version 2 and get a special
> support for applications based on the development version of GTK+
> (aka GTK+ version 2).

Should we aim to include this in 2.4.1 along with Xinerama
support?

> This package is now pre-beta.

You usually call that 'alpha' ;-)

> I need feedback (or flame) so that
> fvwm-ewmh can become beta. Also, I need help with the English of
> the documentation (of course help with the code is welcome too).
> 
> For more details:
> 
>   Home Page (Download, Installation, Running, FAQ):
>     http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/
> 
>   ChangeLog:
>     http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/ChangeLog.html
> 
>   NEWS:
>     http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/NEWS.html
> 
>   Screen Shots:
>     http://fvwm-ewmh.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:12:24 +0200

> Should we aim to include this in 2.4.1 along with Xinerama

I do not know. The main problem is that at the present time fvwm-ewmh
need an other release timing than fvwm (it needs more release). The
other problem is that I get very few feed back so fvwm-ewmh is still
alpha for the world (but beta for my machine, I call this state pre-beta).
So, do we want alpha code in fvwm-2.4.1?
Maybe the answer for these problems can come from the release scheduling
for 2.4.1.
There are other problems:
- the English of the doc
- In my opinion FvwmNetHints should be integrated in fvwm3 (as a
compile time option and not as a module) 

Regards, Olivier

PS: I will have no internet connection between the 2001-07-06 6:00 GTM
to the 07-16

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:14:07 +0200

> There are other problems:

That's not really a problem.  I'd be willing to proof read it.

> compile time option and not as a module) 

I believe we schould have ewmh support way before 3.0.  With all
the changes planned for 3.0, it will take years before the next
stable realease.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 21:15:24 -0400

> the changes planned for 3.0, it will take years before the next

It might be a good idea to put fvwm-ewmh and possibly Xinerama into
branches.  When the branch is done it can be merged into 2.4.x and
released.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]