Subject: Re: PATCH: fvwm-2.3.33/acinclude.m4 smr_ARG_WITHLIB needs to check existence of library

From: "Adam J. Richter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:53:07 -0700

>> >Let see if I understand this "problem". You have both libtermcap and
>> >libncurses installed, fvwm chooses libtermcap to be used together with
>> >libreadline, and you don't like this.

	Sorry, I misread this question before.  That is *not* the problem.

	The problem is that "./configure ; make all" results in a build
failure.  Termcap is not available on this system, and ./configure
acted as if it was anyhow, because the absense of termcap is not
automatically detected.  I do not care whether this program uses ncurses
or termcap if both are available, but if only one is available, it should
automatically use that.

	After I applied my patch, the FvwmConsole program linked correctly
(with "-lreadline -lncurses" instead of "-lreadline -ltermcap"), and
installed without errors.  I will try to figure out how to use FvwmConsole
to attempt the other test you requested.

	I believe that ncurses can be configured to install a symlink
from /usr/lib/libtermcap.a to /usr/lib/ncurses.a, or at least that older
verions of ncurses could, and that this may have hidden the problem before.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
[email-masked]     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:38:30 +0000

> or termcap if both are available, but if only one is available, it should

Ok, now I understand the problem.

> installed without errors.

I hope I explained why your patch seemed to work for you. It is a
combination of events that works on your system only.

> I will try to figure out how to use FvwmConsole to attempt the other
> test you requested.

Add this line to your fvwmrc and press Alt-F12 (after restarting):

  Key F12 A M Module FvwmConsole

> verions of ncurses could, and that this may have hidden the problem before.

Yes, this may be a problem. Please investigate whether you have good
libtermcap.a and/or libtermcap.so.

configure checks that a trivial program containing one call readline()
works with "-lreadline -ltermcap" and decides that termcap library is ok.
This is not a perfect check, but it was such since fvwm-2.1.x versions.

What build error do you get?

BTW, which mailer do you use, it does not add References: and In-Reply-To:
headers, so threads are not preserved...

Regards,
Mikhael.