Subject: Re: PATCH: fvwm-2.3.33/acinclude.m4 smr_ARG_WITHLIB needs to check existence of library

From: "Adam J. Richter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:49:53 -0700

>> If you just do "./configure" with fvwm95-2.3.33 on a system that uses
>                                    ^^^^^^- What? :)

	Sorry for the typo.  I meant fvwm-2.3.33.

>> ncurses instead of termcap, it will decide that readline wants "-ltermcap"
>> rather than "-lncurses".  The reason for this is that configure.in
>> relies on the autoconf macro smr_ARG_WITHLIB setting with_termcap to "no"
>> if there is no termcap library, but, in fact, smr_ARG_WITHLIB defaults
>> to setting it to "maybe", even if the library does not exist.

>Well, no, smr_ARG_WITHLIB is supposed to return "maybe" in this case, and
>./configure expects this (and not "no").

>Let see if I understand this "problem". You have both libtermcap and
>libncurses installed, fvwm chooses libtermcap to be used together with
>libreadline, and you don't like this.

>If this is the case, use: --without-termcap-library --with-ncurses-library
>(only the first is really needed), like it is suggested in INSTALL.fvwm.

       No.  ./configure is supposed to autodetect these kinds of things
when it can if you do not give it arguments.  My patch fixes this problem.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
[email-masked]     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:25:54 +0000

On 26 Jun 2001 14:49:53 -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
> when it can if you do not give it arguments.

Autodetect what? Please explain. I don't think that prefering termcap over
ncurses if both are available is a problem. Am I missing something?

Does "./configure" (without your patch) say you have ReadLine support?
Does "make; su; make install" pass?
Can you use keyboard arrows in FvwmConsole?

If the answer on all these questions is "yes", there is no any problem.

> My patch fixes this problem.

False, it does not fix anything, but introduces several big problems.

How many configurations on how many systems did you test?

If you want a patch for probing ncurses before termcap, you should move
the appropriated lines in configure.in, but your patch does not do this.

Regards,
Mikhael.