Subject: Re: No focus on Restart

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jun 2001 21:35:23 -0400

Oops, I didn't see this before my previous response.  I'll try it
again.  When I posted this I changed my keybindings, because it was too
annoying, so I don't know if it doesn't work.

I'll try it again.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jun 2001 00:14:37 -0400

OK, I just finished configuring my laptop (I'm on vacation :).

This behavior still occurs with the latest CVS as of a few minutes ago.

FvwmAnimate doesn't matter (I thought it did, but it was just a way of
getting the cursor to the spot where the window will pop up before it
actually gets there, on a fast machine.  You can reliably do the same
thing by putting the window in the space where the icon will be when you
iconify it, so you just click to de-iconify and you don't even have to
move the mouse at all).  I have it off now and it still happens.

FvwmAuto does make a difference, in this way: if I don't have FvwmAuto
enabled, then even a simple de-iconify, without the compact part of the
function (i.e., just "Mouse 2 I A Iconify") _does not_ give focus to the
new window, even though it appears below the mouse.  Also the
Iconify-and-Compact function doesn't, either.

If FvwmAuto _is_ on, then if I have the simple (no compact) setting,
then the de-iconified window gets focus; as before if the
Iconify-and-Compact function is used, then it doesn't get focus.

I'll try to do some debugging on this tomorrow night; it's late and I
need to be up for more diving tomorrow :).  It seems like the debugging
will be annoying: to trigger the bug I need a number of steps and it's
hard to know which causes which messages; I may need to fire up Xnest
and run fvwm in the debugger.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:03:36 +0200

> and run fvwm in the debugger.

I think just tracing which windows get EnterNotify and LeaveNotify
events and recording what fvwm does in response may provide enough
info.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:43:16 +0200

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:42:28PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> I can still reproduce this problem on my system here at home.  It
> appears to be somewhat timing related.
> 
> Note I can never make it happen by selecting a window from the
> windowlist, for example.  I think that's because doing so warps the
> mouse to the upper-left corner, which "fixes" the problem.
> 
> It has to be a deiconify command.  I can make it happen both with and
> without FvwmAnimate active: I just have to click mouse-2 on an icon to
> de-iconify it.
> 
> ...
> 
> OK, I think I have more details.  If I have mouse-2 bound to my
> Iconify-and-Compact function:
> 
>   AddToFunc Iconify-and-Compact
>   +       "C" Iconify
>   +       "C" All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow
> 
>   Mouse 2         I       A       Function Iconify-and-Compact
> 
> then I see this behavior.  It's very easy to reproduce; create an icon
> box like "IconBox 2 -20 -1 -1", for example (I don't use any of the
> module icon managers, just the builtin IconBox).  Now place an xterm over
> the icon box.  Then iconify the xterm.  Then click mouse-2 on the
> xterm's icon in such a way that the window will appear underneath your
> mouse cursor when it de-iconifies, even if you don't move it (the mouse).
> 
> If I change mouse-2 to run just "Iconify", I can't make it happen
> anymore.
> 
> So, maybe this behavior is no longer supported?  It used to work until
> fairly recently; someone on the workers list suggested it (although I
> checked and it's not listed in the FAQ).

Paul, since you reported this I made several patches that may or
may not have fixed this.  Can you please try again?  If it still
does not work, could you please see, if fvwm gets an EnterNotify
on the window, and if it does, at which place it leaves the
HandleEnterNotify() function.  I guess it has something to do with
my code to ignore EnterNotify and LeaveNotify events triggered by
grabbing the pointer.  And please check if the problem persists
if you disable FvwmAnimate or FvwmAuto or both.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^