Subject: can't find mails describing FvwmIconMan pipe problem

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:06:36 +0200

I wanted to debug the problem with the dying FvwmIconMan module
but can not find anything in the mail archives.  Does anybody have
the problem description handy?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:34:05 +0000

> the problem description handy?

Do you have an estimation for the date of this message?
I can't find any dying FvwmIconMan message in my 2001 archive.
I only see the message where you ask about what to do with this problem:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0106/msg00023.html

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 12:14:33 +0200

> Do you have an estimation for the date of this message?

Some time between January and May.  Sorry, I can't be more
precise.  All I remember is that I noticed the problem during the
stress tests I made a while ago, probably when refining the
automated test scripts with Dan.  Something causes FvwmIconMan to
exit under some circumstances because it gets a timeout reading
from the pipe, maybe because of a busy cursor grab or something
similar.  I know I sent a detailed problem description to the
mailing list but I can not remember if it ever arrived.

>   http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0106/msg00023.html

Didn't you notice some problem with FvwmIconMan a few weeks ago?
At least I thought you had re-discovered the same problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:02:24 +0000

> mailing list but I can not remember if it ever arrived.

Ok, then you should refer to this thread:

  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0102/msg00162.html
  http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/0102/msg00231.html

I thought this problem was fixed, but now I see notice that you asked
Chris to take a look at the remaining part of the problem.

> At least I thought you had re-discovered the same problem.

Sorry, I don't use FvwmIconMan on a regular basis, I only verify from time
to time that the FvwmIconMan option, which some of our themes have, work.

I reported that I got this, which may or may not be related:

[FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor:
- data available=N
- terminate signal=N

I patched some time ago fvwm to print a module name here and I saw that it
is generated by my personal FvwmEvent-NewWindow module when I switch
themes. The interesting thing is that FvwmEvent-NewWindow module is not
killed and remains functional, so this is only a warning (!?) in my case.
I turned off this module from StartFunction some time ago, but I may
reenable it later to help to fix this tight problem.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:26:06 +0200

> Chris to take a look at the remaining part of the problem.

There, this is the proof.  Playing computer games addles the
mind.  All this time I was thinking the problem was still open
while I already fixed it.  
> [FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor:

At least this is the message that appeared when FvwmIconMan died.

> reenable it later to help to fix this tight problem.

Please do.  I'd like to find out if this a problem that will bite
us later if we do not fix it now.  Otherwise, I see no further
reasons to delay 2.4 any longer.  There is no need to hurry,
though.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^