Subject: 2.4 release procedure?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:52:38 +0200

To save a bit of time before the 2.4 release on one hand, and to
make sure all the dates and release numbers are correct in all
the files I suggest that we build fvwm-2.4.0-pre1 now with all
the version numbers and supporting files referring to 2.4.0.
This build would not be announced on the web page and can only
be downloaded from the alpha directory on the ftp server.  Does
this make sense?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:35:48 +0200

> be downloaded from the alpha directory on the ftp server.  Does

BTW, I compiled a list of files that have to be touched in the to
do list.  Could anybody have a look at it and add any files I
missed, please?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:42:07 -0400

> be downloaded from the alpha directory on the ftp server.  Does

Dominik you are so cautious.

I know you want each official release to be perfect,
but we can create 2.4.1 at the drop of a hat.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:41:22 +0000

> be downloaded from the alpha directory on the ftp server.  Does

Ok, just to be more exact, how about this:

  * change the developement version from 2.3.34 to 2.4.0 today/tomorrow
  * change all dates to be 2001-07-01 and versions to be 2.4.0
  * ask Jason to repack (unpack/rename/pack) fvwm-snap-20010630.tar.gz to
    fvwm-2.4.0-pre1.tar.gz and move to alpha directory
  * optionally add a link to fvwm-2.4.0-pre1.tar.gz in download.html
  * release a real 2.4.0 several days after that (make_fvwmdist)

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:55:11 +0200

>   * release a real 2.4.0 several days after that (make_fvwmdist)

I'd prefer not to build a new package but to release the
pre-release as 2.4 and simply re-tag the cvs sources.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jun 2001 18:21:00 -0500

>>>>> "DV" == Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

DV> I'd prefer not to build a new package but to release the pre-release as
DV> 2.4 and simply re-tag the cvs sources.

Just let me know what you'd like me to do.

 - J<