Subject: Notification: incoming/718

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:03:25 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/718

Message summary for PR#718
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: want more than 5 mouse buttons
	Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:03:23 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Tue Jun 05 14:03:25 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: want more than 5 mouse buttons
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:03:23 -0500

Full_Name: 
Version: 2.3.32
CVS_Date: 
OS: 
X_Server: XFree 4.0.2
Submission from: (NULL) (217.128.39.142)

fvwm doesn't seems too support more than 5 mouse buttons, or at least
the parser doesn't allow number greater than 5; or it is quiet common
now to find mouses with 6 or 7 buttons (2 for the wheels, 3 buttons,
and 1 or 2 thumb buttons)

The error message is:
[FVWM][ParseBinding]:<<ERROR>>Illegal mouse button in line 6 R A
GnomeButton

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:37:19 +0000

> [FVWM][ParseBinding]:<<ERROR>>Illegal mouse button in line 6 R A

This is because X itself does not support correctly more than 5 mouse
buttons as may be verified in X11/X.h file.

I should add that although fvwm does a good thing to ensure that all
buttons work correctly and fully, this check is a bit too conservative.

If you remove this check (button > NUMBER_OF_MOUSE_BUTTONS), and then
use this command to map buttons 123 to other values, say, 159:

  xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 5 9"

you will see that all "I" functions and many complex functions bound on
mouse button 9 work. However there are "small" problems, although "C", "H"
and "D" work acceptably ok, "M" is considered to be "C". Also "Mouse 9 W"
does not work in xterm (it works in xcalc), because xterm is, like FVWM,
also too conservative and does not accept buttons greater than 5.

I myself have a mice with 8 buttons (2 wheels and one thumb, 3 + 2*2 + 1),
I can configure X to recognize them all, but this has its own problems,
so I ended up to define only 5 (both wheels behave as one), that works
with no problems.

Since more than 5 mice buttons can't work fully in the current X, I leave
it up to Dominik to decide whether it is good to enable for users to use
more buttons on their own risk (yes, they only work partially, but work).

This is not actual for 2.4.0 anyway.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:55:10 +0200

> more buttons on their own risk (yes, they only work partially, but work).

How are these mouse buttons addressed without the proper X macros?
Obviously there are no bits left for a "Button6MotionMask".  And
only Button6Mask and Button7Mask would fit into the free bits.
The button number itself is not a problem.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:59:33 +0000

> The button number itself is not a problem.

You may test yourself after remapping button numbers using xmodmap.
The important thing is that it is possible to detect press and release of
buttons with numbers greater than 5 and thus support "I", "C", "D", "H".
Of course, it is impossible to support dragging using mouse buttons
greater than 5. I gathered this info by tests only, it may not be full.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:24:58 +0200

> greater than 5. I gathered this info by tests only, it may not be full.

I have looked through the code to see which parts will work and 
which will not.  Basically, buttons 6+ will not work for moving,
resizing, strokes, bindings in the client portion of a window and
active button grabbing (needed in parts of the focus code).  In
other words: almost nothing works properly.  Many things will not
fail completely but lack some of the functionality or show erratic
behaviour.

Some of these shortcomings are hard to explain or may even cause
more or less random behaviour.  I am a bit reluctant to make a
code change official that is this problematic.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]