Subject: unclutter causes focus loss?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 13:31:53 -0400

I'm playing with the very latest FVWM, and I see the following weird
behavior.

I am running the "unclutter" program, which hides the X cursor after
some amount of mouse inactivity (5 seconds or so).

  ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/utilities/unclutter-8.tar.Z

Among other places.

Whenever the cursor is hidden, the window that currently has focus loses
focus, and in fact no window then has focus as far as I can tell.  Not
only does the border turn to "unfocused", but even the application
thinks that it doesn't have focus.

I have to move the mouse so that it hits the window border before focus
comes back; just nudging it so the cursor reappears doesn't fix it.

This pretty much completely breaks unclutter :)

I think this must have just happened within the last few days, because
I've not noticed this behavior before.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 13:59:18 -0400

> I've not noticed this behavior before.

Something else must be at play.
I've been using unclutter for years and its still working for me.

I think you've previously reported using FvwmAuto right?

Still that doesn't do it for me either.

The unclutter invisible window is override redirect...

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 14:41:59 -0400

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  de> Something else must be at play.
  de> I've been using unclutter for years and its still working for me.

When did you last update your FVWM?

There were some changes just made this last night/this morning...

  de> I think you've previously reported using FvwmAuto right?

Yes.

  de> The unclutter invisible window is override redirect...

I didn't change anything in my ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc, I just installed the
latest FVWM (and restarted X of course).

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 15:01:54 -0400

> There were some changes just made this last night/this morning...

Yes, and I missed them, sorry.
It doesn't work for me either.
I'm not using FvwmAuto.