Subject: Notification: incoming/717

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:54:15 -0500

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/717

Message summary for PR#717
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: PRIVATE: pointer: unclutter vs. fvwm2
	Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:54:14 -0500
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Tue May 29 03:54:15 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PRIVATE: pointer: unclutter vs. fvwm2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:54:14 -0500

Full_Name: Christian Lacunza
Version: 2.2 compiled on Nov 17 2000
CVS_Date: 
OS: freebsd 4.3
X_Server: XFree86 3.3.6
Submission from: (NULL) (64.161.130.84)

unclutter is a program that makes the mouse pointer disappear if it
hasn't moved in 5 seconds.  the pointer comes back if you click or
move the mouse.

the problem is that fvwm ignores that first click if the click is on
the window manager decorations (title bar, handles, iconify button,
etc).  this is kind of annoying because then you have to click again
to get the stupid window to iconify or whatever.

note that the click is not ignored when the mouse in a netscape,
emacs, or xterm window.  furthermore, the click is not ignored
by FvwmPager and fvwm responds to the click properly when it is on
the root window.  the only place where the click is ignored is in the 
fvwm window manager decorations (the problem does not occur with twm
window manager decorations).

to reproduce:

1. install unclutter-8 from one of the servers listed here:

     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=unclutter

2. run it like this:

     unclutter -jitter 1 -root &

3. put the pointer onto an fvwm title bar, lift the mouse up off the
   mouse pad so you don't accidentally move the mouse when the thing
   disappears, and then wait a few seconds for it to disappear.

4. after it has disappeared, click.

5. observe that fvwm did not respond.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:24:47 +0200

> 5. observe that fvwm did not respond.

Thanks for the bug report.  I have fixed this in the current
development sources that will become the new 2.4 stable release
soon.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:34:34 -0400

> 	Subject: PRIVATE: pointer: unclutter vs. fvwm2

Jason,

  I did searches on our mail archives using the keyword "unclutter".

  I guess the problem with the mail archives is that we don't archive
fvwm-workers?  I wish we could.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:06:59 +0000

> fvwm-workers?  I wish we could.

The archives are there. The problem is that there are incomplete glimpse
search indexes. I suggest to reindex all archives starting from 1995.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 May 2001 10:22:04 -0500

>>>>> "MG" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

MG> The archives are there. The problem is that there are incomplete
MG> glimpse search indexes.

Glimpse is just busted.  It was a good choice at the time (six years ago)
but it won't even compile on modern systems and the license terms on later
releases were changed to something unreasonable.  htdig (or however you
capitalize/punctuate it) would be a much better choice, but I haven't had
the time to work on it yet.

 - J<