Subject: Re: No focus on Restart

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:11:58 +0200

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:18:00PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:
> > On 28 Apr 2001 19:17:11 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > > 
> > > Previously a window under the cursor got the focus after Restart,
> > > now there is no focused window. SloppyFocus.
> > 
> > This problem was fixed several days ago.
> > 
> > Sorry, currently the mail archive is more reliable than my own mail.
> > Next time I will first update cvs even if I don't get cvs messages. :)
> 
> I was holding off the 2.4 tests and build on the basis of that
> problem.
> 
> Is there any other reason why 2.4 should not be released?
> 
> Sometime this week I will try to find time to rerun the Purify tests.

I'd like to hear something about the AutoRaise problem from Paul
first.  It may or may not be fixed with the recent changes.  And
then there is still that issue about the FAQ being partially
version specific.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 07:30:35 -0400

Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:
> first.  It may or may not be fixed with the recent changes.

OK.

> And

This doesn't have to delay 2.4.

I still think fvwm should only have 1 FAQ.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 10:47:46 -0400

>> first.  It may or may not be fixed with the recent changes.

  de> OK.

Rats.  I _knew_ there was something I was supposed to do last night; I
saw Dan's message about 2.4 and wanted to retest it at home, but I
forgot.

OK, let me try to do that on my work system (I have to stop my Gnome
environment and start X using my old environment to test it out at
work).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 14:01:40 -0400

OK, I've restarted my system in "non-GNOME" mode using the latest code.

On my work system I cannot reproduce the FvwmAuto raise problem
(although as you see I did find a few other problems :).

However, my work system (PII800, 256M) is significantly faster than my
home system (PII450, 128M).  So, I will try to reproduce it at home
tonight just to be sure.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 May 2001 23:42:28 -0400

I can still reproduce this problem on my system here at home.  It
appears to be somewhat timing related.

Note I can never make it happen by selecting a window from the
windowlist, for example.  I think that's because doing so warps the
mouse to the upper-left corner, which "fixes" the problem.

It has to be a deiconify command.  I can make it happen both with and
without FvwmAnimate active: I just have to click mouse-2 on an icon to
de-iconify it.

...

OK, I think I have more details.  If I have mouse-2 bound to my
Iconify-and-Compact function:

  AddToFunc Iconify-and-Compact
  +       "C" Iconify
  +       "C" All (CurrentDesk Iconic) RecaptureWindow

  Mouse 2         I       A       Function Iconify-and-Compact

then I see this behavior.  It's very easy to reproduce; create an icon
box like "IconBox 2 -20 -1 -1", for example (I don't use any of the
module icon managers, just the builtin IconBox).  Now place an xterm over
the icon box.  Then iconify the xterm.  Then click mouse-2 on the
xterm's icon in such a way that the window will appear underneath your
mouse cursor when it de-iconifies, even if you don't move it (the mouse).

If I change mouse-2 to run just "Iconify", I can't make it happen
anymore.

So, maybe this behavior is no longer supported?  It used to work until
fairly recently; someone on the workers list suggested it (although I
checked and it's not listed in the FAQ).

If we can come to consensus on this, and the unclutter problem and the
configure check for gdk_imlib.h are fixed, then as far as I'm concerned
2.4 is a go.