Subject: icon raise issue?

From: "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:04:03 +0200

~ > uname -a
SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
~ > fvwm2 -version
FVWM version 2.3.32 compiled on May 17 2001 at 11:21:38
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

When I go over an icon that's partially covered by a window, the icon 
title is raised, but the icon itself is not (see .jpg)  Is this correct 
behavior?

Regards,
Nils.

---

From: André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:02:40 +0200

Hi guys,

I just tried compiling the 2001-05-23 snapshot on my Debian/GNU Linux box,
and the compilation failed rather quickly with this error message:

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523'
Making all in libs
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523/libs'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523/libs'
Making all in fvwm
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523/fvwm'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `libs/fvwmlib.h', needed by `menus.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523/fvwm'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andre/software/fvwm-snap-20010523'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

The last version of fvwm that I have tried to build is 2.3.32, which worked
flawlessly.

Let me know if I should provide additional information.
-- 

André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:23:02 +0000

> title is raised, but the icon itself is not (see .jpg)  Is this correct 

Only icon title raising was intended when it was implemented 2 years ago.
So the behaviour is expected.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:58:52 +0000

> The last version of fvwm that I have tried to build is 2.3.32, which worked

I can confirm that fvwm-snap-20010523 and all snapshots starting from
20010506, when we had "Building problem" email that Jason asked to ignore,
have this problem. fvwm/Makefile.in has libs/header.h dependencies
instead of the correct ../libs/header.h. I have no idea why this happened.
"make dist" from cvs has no this problem.

Jason, was there something interesting in how you solved the problem then
on 20010506? Anyway, creating the tree from scratch should solve this now.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 May 2001 23:35:16 -0500

>>>>> "MG" == Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]> writes:

MG> I can confirm that fvwm-snap-20010523 and all snapshots starting from
MG> 20010506, when we had "Building problem" email that Jason asked to
MG> ignore, have this problem.

Are you saying that every single snapshot has this problem?  The snapshots
are just built from a cvs update; I don't do a make clean but everything
including the binaries are built.

MG> Jason, was there something interesting in how you solved the problem
MG> then on 20010506?

Not really.  We had a couple of days of problems; one night a machine went
down, and on another I left the fvwm-web tree checked out in the build tree
which caused some weird CVS problems.  But I didn't actually do anything to
the tree to fix it, except rm -rf fvwm-web.

I just cleaned out the tree and checked it out again; we'll see how
tomorrow morning's build goes.  I admit I'm at a loss as to what is causing
the snapshot to fail, but it definitely is broken even on the machine it
was built on (so there's not something special about this machine that
makes the snapshot work).  If this doesn't work then I'm going to have to
assume that a needed file is getting left out of the snapshot.

 - J<

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 May 2001 10:09:57 -0500

>>>>> "JLT" == Jason L Tibbitts <[email-masked]> writes:

JLT> I just cleaned out the tree and checked it out again; we'll see how
JLT> tomorrow morning's build goes.

The snapshot built OK and I downloaded it and built it on another machine
as well.  Everything seems OK now; can everyone check it?

 - J<

---

From: André Dahlqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:27:11 +0200

> as well.  Everything seems OK now; can everyone check it?

I can confirm that fvwm-snap-20010524 compiles nicely on my machine.
--

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:46:20 -0400

> title is raised, but the icon itself is not (see .jpg)  Is this correct 

As was already pointed out, the behavior was intentional.
Plus, I think its correct.  It does look a little funny in this case,
but with the icon is other positions (to the side), and a little more of
the icon visible, it makes more sense.  And, with FvwmAuto running,
you can get the icon to raise too.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]