Subject: Re: FVWM: About swallowing asfsm

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 00:08:21 +0000

On 24 May 2001 19:02:21 +0200, Fabio Stumbo wrote:
> 
> I have a little problem: I installed the 2.3.32 version of fvwm
> (en attendant 2.4 ... ;-) and I discovered that with this version there is
> no way to have asfsm by FvwmButtons: it just stay on one side, out of the
> buttons panel.
> Is this a general problem, or is it just my configuration?
> Of course, in my fvwm2rc i converted the Buttons configuration in the new
> format.

I have no problems to swallow asfsm, works like with any other window.
I used a usual (Swallow "asfsm" `Exec exec asfsm`).

Please post your FvwmButtons config if you still have problems.

> I also had another (very minor) problem: fvwmevent doesn't play any sound
> when I use raise/lower with a key, or even clicking on the window bar,
> whereas it still play the usual sound when I raise/lower using tha
> taskbar. Any hints?

I can't get raise_window/lower_window events in FvwmEvent at all.
Not using a module (FvwmTaskBar, FvwmConsole) not in any other way.

It seems that lower_window event is not sent at all anywhere in the code.
Probably someone else knows more about this.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 01:53:39 +0000

On 27 May 2001 20:15:08 +0200, Fabio Stumbo wrote:
> Here is my config. Eventually I got it swallowed using the option
> "UseOld", but I can't understand why: I just tried randomly... :-(

[skipped]

> *FvwmButtons: (2x2, Frame 4, Swallow(UseOld) "asfsm" `Exec  asfsm \
>         -bp None -bg rgb:4/6/4 -fg rgb:9/9/0 \
>         -pbg rgb:4/6/4 -pfg rgb:f/f/0 -pbp None -i 60`)

I see that in your example, without UseOld asfsm is not swallowed.
This seems a problem of asfsm after all. :)

The man page of asfsm suggests "-i sec" to change a scanning interval.
But in fact, asfsm with -i starts iconic and immediately deiconifies
itself. This confuses FvwmButtons. So either don't use -i or use UseOld
or bother asfsm developers to conform to the man page or bother fvwm
developers to fix swalowing. A note, if I don't use UseOld and then
iconify/deiconify asfsm it is swallowed after this action.

> That's very strange: with 2.2.4 I had raise/lower working fine in any
> case. Now (2.3.32) just the taskbar. Together with what you have, it
> doesn't seem very deterministic, like a copmuter program should be...

Don't underestimate a complexity of conditions in large programs.

I can only add that I do get raise_window events when I enter gnome
panel's subpanel, it asks (version 1.4) to raise itself when entered.
I also sometimes enter a mode when usual RaiseLower or Raise generate
raise_window. But right now they don't generate it while panel does.
And lower_window is simply not sent as I already mentioned.

I used for testing:

  *FvwmEvent-Test: Cmd "Exec xmessage"   # "Echo"
  *FvwmEvent-Test: raise_window "raise window"
  Module FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Test
  #KillModule FvwmEvent FvwmEvent-Test

(I also currently have FvwmEvent-Sound with raise_window defined.)

I don't consider any of the problems in this message critical for 2.4.0.
They may be fixed later.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:13:23 +0000

> Probably someone else knows more about this.

There was a cvs commit that did not generate email (missing email events):

	* fvwm/stack.c (LowerWindow):
	(RaiseWindow):
	restored sending M_RAISE_WINDOW and M_LOWER_WINDOW that was
	accidentally removed somewhere after 2.2 - fixes missing
	raise/lower events in FvwmEvent

Now, lower_window works well for me, but raise_window is often duplicated.
Wait more than 4 seconds, Raise - one raise_window event is sent.
Wait less than 3 seconds, Raise - two raise_window events are sent.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:25:12 +0200

> Wait less than 3 seconds, Raise - two raise_window events are sent.

I just restored the old behaviour (2.2.x) as close as I could.
The duplication of raise events was already there, as far as I
understand.  In my eyes it does not make much sense to send
M_RAISE_WINDOW for whole trees of transient windows and possibly
multiple times when a single window is raised by user actions.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]