Subject: X Application crashes

From: "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:47:43 +0200

This may or may not be fvwm related.  When launching some applications 
(proprietary; no source available) I get the following message from X, 
and the applications shut down.  SOmetimes I think I get fvwm hanging 
on login from the Sun session manager, but I'm not sure if this problem 
is related or not.  The hang on login happens randomly and I don't know 
how to reproduce it. I've also attached a truss output of the 
application.  I'm not sure if it's helpful since it forks off a child 
at the end; is there a way to truss the child?

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range 
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Value in failed request:  0x8
  Serial number of failed request:  865
  Current serial number in output stream:  867

My setup:

~ > gcc --version
2.95.2
~ > uname -a
SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
~ > fvwm2 -version
FVWM version 2.3.32 compiled on May 17 2001 at 11:21:38
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

Thanks (and sorry about the scant information)...
Nils.

---

From: Nils Lohner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:57:37 +0200

Here's the output with the forked child...  any suggestions on how to 
narrow down the problem are welcome.

Thanks,
Nils.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 2001 09:58:25 -0400

%% "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]> writes:

  nl> how to reproduce it. I've also attached a truss output of the
  nl> application.  I'm not sure if it's helpful since it forks off a
  nl> child at the end; is there a way to truss the child?

  $ man truss
    ...
       -f        Follows all children created by fork() or  vfork()
                 and  includes  their  signals,  faults, and system
                 calls in the  trace  output.
    ...

HTH.

I also typically build strace for Solaris; I find it gives much more and
better information than truss.

Not sure that this will help anyone find your problem though :).

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:05:25 -0400

> >  Current serial number in output stream:  867

I looked thru the truss, but I didn't see anything helpful.
I didn't really expect to, truss doesn't help much for errors coming
out of X.

The man page for XCreatePixmap has this to say:

     BadValue  Some numeric value falls outside the range of
               values accepted by the request.  Unless a specific
               range is specified for an argument, the full range
               defined by the argument's type is accepted.  Any
               argument defined as a set of alternatives can gen-
               erate this error.

You can read the man page for yourself, I won't quote the whole thing,
but the args are the pixmap dimensions and the depth.  Either one
of them being out of range can cause this.  Since the value thats
bad is 8, I'd have to guess its the depth that its looking at.
Perhaps the application needs 8 bit color and you are using 24?

I think the issue you have with fvwm hanging is separate.  Are
you using fvwm session management?  I don't use it myself, so
I don't have any experience with it.  If you have fvwm hanging,
if you can log in from another machine and get a stack, with
dbx or /usr/proc/bin/pstack, that might help.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]