Subject: Re: LDFLAGS or LD_OPTIONS or LDOPTS

From: "Tim Freedom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:37:09 -0700

Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
>%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>  de> Our INSTALL.fvwm file suggests that the user should export
>  de> LDFLAGS on Solaris (for example).  The Solaris man pages for
>  de> Solaris 2.6 and 2.8 identify LD_OPTIONS as the right variable.
>  de> HPUX11.11 uses LDOPTS.  AIX 4.3 doesn't seem to have anything.
>
>  de> Anyone know where LDFLAGS works?
>
>LDFLAGS is the variable used by the Makefile when invoking the
>linker.

I've always wondered about this....

Whenever I download other packages that require XPM, I never have to
explicitly set LDFLAGS (SunOS-5.7); in fvwm is has to be set by hand.
Why is that ? Why is there a distinction and can't configure.in (Paul S. :-) 
be fixed in fvwm ?

For instance, xscreensaver-3.32 doesn't require this explicit setting
(www.jwz.org/xscreensaver).  My command lines for xscreensaver looks as 
follows,

$ ./configure \
     --prefix=/download/xscreensaver-3.32/done \
     --with-xpm=/download/xpm-3.4k-solaris

xscreensaver even adds the include/lib subdirectories appropriately
to the compile procedure.

Couldn't fvwm do the same exact thing ???

Today with fvwm I have to do the following,

$ setenv LDFLAGS -R/download/xpm-3.4k-solaris/lib
$ ./configure \
     --prefix=/tools/download/fvwm-2.3.32/done \
     --with-xpm-library=/download/xpm-3.4k-solaris/lib \
     --with-xpm-includes=/download/xpm-3.4k-solaris/include

Thanks

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 2001 14:45:31 -0400

%% "Tim Freedom" <[email-masked]> writes:

  tf> Whenever I download other packages that require XPM, I never have
  tf> to explicitly set LDFLAGS (SunOS-5.7); in fvwm is has to be set by
  tf> hand.  Why is that ? Why is there a distinction and can't
  tf> configure.in (Paul S. :-) be fixed in fvwm ?

Yes, it could be fixed in FVWM's configure.in.  But, it's difficult to
do correctly.

Note that just adding -R with the same path is _not_ always what you
want, if you have a more complex installation.

  tf> For instance, xscreensaver-3.32 doesn't require this explicit setting
  tf> (www.jwz.org/xscreensaver).

JWZ went to horrific amounts of effort to get xscreensaver's
configure.in to work the way he wanted.

The XEmacs folks also had similar experiences.

I'm hoping that autoconf 2.50, just released, will work better in this
respect (which is where it _should_ be fixed, rather than in each
package's configure.in).  At any rate, we will try to revisit this
problem when we convert to 2.50, if it's still a problem there.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]