Subject: Re: Icon titles not retracting

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:02:27 +0700

On  8 May 01 at 1:59, [email-masked] wrote:

> On 07 May 2001 13:47:22 +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > > >     When had this changed?  Fvwm 2.2.4 had this behaviour at least with
> > > > AnotherLevel (i.e. the icon title shown expanded while the icon had
> > > > focus)...  and the users got accustomed to it.
> > >
> > > Hm, now that you say it, I can vaguely remember.  Expanding the
> > > title when the pointer is over the icon was introduced in 2.3.2.
> > > I guess there is some relation to the new feature.
> >
> > Fixed.
>
> I don't think this is a good change. We discussed this 2 years ago and
> agreed (at least Dominik, Matthias and me) that leaving an icon should
> collapse the icon title.
>
>   http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/9904/msg00609.html
>
> The opposite behaviour is very annoying if you don't have other focusable
> windows on a page just to shutdown that long icon title.
>
> Dmitry, are you sure you prefer that old behavior? :)
> I think we should restore the behavior we had for more than 2 years now.
> We may have an option later if anyone really prefers another one.

    Well, in fact for *me* it doesn't matter -- I rarely use Iconify, since
multiple screens/desktops are better.  A quick poll between our personnel
shown that they simply don't realize the difference -- "Style * SloppyFocus",
so in presence of many windows on the screen both behaviours are very
similar.

    As I understand, the "new" behaviour is the same as in Win98/ME/2k --
those show yellow "tips" containing long titles when mouse enters the icon.
The only difference is that the "tips" are of different color and are
understood as such.  But this isn't important, so the current expand-when-
mouse-on-icon is good.

       ___________________________________________________________________
       Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov  |  Novosibirsk, RUSSIA
       phone (383-2)-39-49-56     |  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
                                  |  Lab. 5-13
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]