Subject: release script problem

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:14:53 +0200

I found this entry in the ChangeLog:

  2001-04-07  2.3.31  <[email-masked]>
              ^^^^^^
          * NEWS, configure.in:
          changed version to 2.3.32

Dan, can you see what went wrong in the release script?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 09:26:15 -0400

> Dan, can you see what went wrong in the release script?

Isn't that what you wanted it to do?:

  echo `date +%Y-%m-%d`"  $FVWMRELNAME  <$FVWMRELEMAIL>" > $NCLOG
  echo >> $NCLOG
  echo "	* NEWS, configure.in:" >> $NCLOG
  echo "	changed version to $VRELNUMP" >> $NCLOG
  echo >> $NCLOG

FVWMRELNAME is for the release being created, 2.3.31, and
VRELNUMP is the next release.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:39:02 +0200

> VRELNUMP is the next release.

Ah, no.  FVWMRELNAME is the name of the person who built the
release.  It shows up in the ChangeLog entry.  The name is not
very good, though :)

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 10:47:54 -0400

> release.  It shows up in the ChangeLog entry.  The name is not

Darn, I had a feeling I was doing something wrong there.
I looked around for anything I might have to do this automatically,
the last time I tried, I came up with this:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <pwd.h>                        /* for getpwent */
int main () {
  struct passwd * passwd_ptr;         /* password struct */
  char *comma;
  char  mvs_uname[21];                  /* prgmr name limited to 20 chars */
  passwd_ptr =
    (struct passwd*)getpwuid(getuid()); /* get password struct */
  strncpy(mvs_uname, passwd_ptr->pw_gecos,
          sizeof(mvs_uname));         /* get name */
  mvs_uname[20] = '\0';               /* set max len */
  comma = (char *)strpbrk(mvs_uname, ",");    /* find first comma */
  if (comma != NULL) {                /* If there is a comma */
    *comma = '\0';                    /* change comma to null */
  }
  printf("%s\n", mvs_uname);
}

I think this is doable in Perl, but I don't think shell is any good for
it.

I'll just have to be more careful.