Subject: Can't build latest CVS

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:05:27 -0800

There's magic in the Makefiles that a) breaks Solaris make and b) breaks
Sun's C compiler:

The line

    DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)

is a GNU Make-ism.

Similarly,

    $(COMPILE) -Wp,-MD,.deps/$(*F).pp -c $<

is specific to GNU cc (the -MD part, at any rate).

Is it becoming official policy that fvwm must build with the GNU tools, or
is this simply a result of that being the only thing it's tested on?

Thanks,
Danek
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:21:24 -0500

> is this simply a result of that being the only thing it's tested on?

The official policy is that you need gnumake to compile from CVS.
Snapshots and releases should not contain anything that requires gnumake.

See our web page, then Developers, the CVS, then "Before you begin".

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 2001 14:31:04 -0500

%% Danek Duvall <[email-masked]> writes:

  dd> There's magic in the Makefiles that a) breaks Solaris make and b)
  dd> breaks Sun's C compiler:

If you build from CVS, it's well-known (and always been the case) that
you need the GNU toolset, GNU make and GCC.

This is a requirement forced by automake and autoconf.

It's expected that only developer-types are building from CVS source and
they can install the GNU suite: autoconf, automake, GCC, GNU make, perl,
GNU m4, etc.

Once a distribution is created from a developer installation (using
"make dist"), the resulting distribution tarfile will not (should not!)
contain any requirements on GNU make or GCC, or any other GNU toolset.

If you find this not to be the case, it's definitely a bug.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Danek Duvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:31:38 -0800

> See our web page, then Developers, the CVS, then "Before you begin".

Oops, sorry; I knew that.  I think I simply must have gotten lucky a while
back, and just forgot about it.

Apologies,
Danek