Subject: Re: a small thing

From: "Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:04:50 +0600

On 15 Mar 01 at 11:24, [email-masked] wrote:

> Dear FVWM experts,
>
> I want to report a small thing I've noticed since some time, since when I
> started using
>
> Style FvwmPager      NeverFocus
> Style FvwmButtons    NeverFocus
>
> for my Buttons and Pager. As many others I'm using the Pager as a map to
> move around from a desk/page to another one with just a mouse click of
> button 1.
>
> Now, under conditions that I've found I'm not able to reproduce, from time
> to time the mouse click instead of telling the Pager to ask Fvwm to move
> the current desk/page to the one I've selected, just pass 'through' the Pager
> and goes to the root window, opening my root menu bounded to mouse button 1.

    BTW, I have a similar problem with Fvwm 2.3.28 under XFree86 3.x: when
using the mouse-zoom feature of xdvi, when clicking very fast the second
click often pops up a root-window menu.

    To reproduce: run xdvi with some file (assuming RedHat 6.x:
"xdvi /usr/share/texmf/doc/amstex/amsguide.dvi" will do), and double click
the 3rd button very fast.  At some moment, probably when zoom window is
going to be popped down but hadn't yet, the mouse event reaches the root
window and pops up a 3rd button menu.

    What is strange is that the click happens over the xdvi window itself,
and it should go there, not to the root.

    1st and 2nd buttons zoom should probably also have this effect, but
don't -- maybe because those windows are very small and human simply can't
click fast enough even on a Pentium166 (strange, since 3rd button has this
effect even on PIII-800).  If memory serves me right, this bug (?) existed
way back in Fvwm 1.24 under XFree 2.x, and on my old 486DX2/66 1st and 2nd
buttons also had it.

    The thing doesn't happen under XFree86 4.0.2, but 4.x has much better
speed/scheduling characteristics anyway.

       ___________________________________________________________________
       Dmitry Yu. Bolkhovityanov  |  Novosibirsk, RUSSIA
       phone (383-2)-39-49-56     |  The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
                                  |  Lab. 5-13
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:29:26 +0100

> speed/scheduling characteristics anyway.

I belive I fixed all of these.  I am sure about the xdvi thing and
I think FvwmPager and FvwmButtons suffer from the same problem,
but I can't make it happen here.  Can you please try again with
tomorrow's snapshot or current CVS code?

BTW, you can increase the probability of the xdvi problem happening
by giving your X server something to do.  Open a big xterm window
and type "while true; do ls; done" into the shell.  If necessary
create more windows doing the same.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]