Subject: GlobalOpts in the FAQ

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:11:34 -0500

This is a problem:

2000-02-04  Dominik Vogt  <[email-masked]>

	* FAQ:
	removed references to old GlobalOpts command

The GlobalOpts was present in the 2.2.x official releases.
It shouldn't have been removed.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:09:48 +0100

> It shouldn't have been removed.

I'm not quites sure what I did in this commit, but I think I
simply rewrote all examples using the GlobalOpts command to
reflect the new syntax.  Or is there something else you have
in mind?

The GlobalOpts command still exists, but using it is dicouraged
and generates some warning messages.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:52:28 -0500

> and generates some warning messages.

The FAQ has to be correct for all current releases.
Someone on comp.windows.x was asking why

Style * MouseFocusClickRaises

doesn't work for 2.2.4.  He pointed out that the FAQ on our web
site said it works for all releases later than 2.0.46.

I think the other references to GlobalOpts should have remained
but I haven't checked yet.

I know you asked for feedback on the ANNOUNCE file.
I just haven't gotten to it yet.  I sort of like the large
announcement.  It more accurately reflects the amount of work
that went into the release.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:11:34 +0100

> but I haven't checked yet.

Should the FAQ reflect all past releases?  The problem is that
only the current FAQ is placed on the web pages, right?  Shouldn't
we instead put the FAQ for all supported stable releases and the
latest development release there?  This way we won't have to keep
track of the peculiarities of past releases.

> I just haven't gotten to it yet.

No problem, that can wait.  Finishing the tests was more
important.  BTW, do you consider the FvwmButtons tests finished?

> I sort of like the large

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:47:57 -0500

> track of the peculiarities of past releases.

I don't think anyone would want to read thru more than one FAQ.

> important.  BTW, do you consider the FvwmButtons tests finished?

I think the tests are complete.  They don't test all of FvwmButtons,
just the Panel feature.

I just have to look into the "steps 1" issue.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:08:46 +0100

> I don't think anyone would want to read thru more than one FAQ.

Well, I thought people would read the FAQ that belongs to the the
version they are using.  The GlobalOpts issue isn't hard to fix,
but what about the hints in section 7?  It contains long config
examples that may become obsolete over time.  Won't keeping
different examples for multiple versions bloat the FAQ
unnecessarily? 

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:11:06 +0100

> different examples for multiple versions bloat the FAQ

And what about solutions that only work for a specific version or
later, like the IgnoreModifiers command?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^