Subject: ANNONCE clean up

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:47:40 +0100

I've made a pass over the ANNOUNCE file and sorted the items.
However, there is a *lot* missing.  I have dumped a full list of
new features since 2.2.x to the top of the file.  Please have a
look at this list so we can decide which things are important
enough to mention.  Also, some things are gone in 2.4 which has to
be mentioned (some modules and commands).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:41:34 +0100

> be mentioned (some modules and commands).

I spell checked, reformatted and sorted the announcement (with my
British ispell dictionary :-) ).  I like Dan's idea to leave the
whole list of changes in the announcement, so the full list of
changes is now at the end of the file.  From my point of view it's
ready for the release now.  Perhaps someone could scan through the
change lists to see if some changes should be removed from or
added to the lists of important changes at the front of the file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:36:34 -0500

> added to the lists of important changes at the front of the file.

I made some changes.

I didn't know you enabled recursive menus, but a test
shows that they work.  Thats this item, which I will reword:

Menus can be visible multiple times at once.

The only problem is the man page still says this:

        A menu  can  be  open
        only  once,  so  a  menu may not use itself or any of its
        predecessors as a sub-menu.

Am I missing something?

I see we removed  the FvwmConfig module, I added  FvwmPipe to the list
of removed modules.  The conversion script should warn about them.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:03:42 +0100

>         predecessors as a sub-menu.

You are right, this paragraph in the man page has to be changed.

> of removed modules.  The conversion script should warn about them.

Done.

I also added some logic to fvwm24_convert that collects
continuation lines in a buffer before looking for stuff that has
to be converted.  The drawback is that if something in a continued
line is replaced, the new line is printed as a single line.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:27:36 -0500

> line is replaced, the new line is printed as a single line.

Theres a typo "$silngle_lines" that causes bad output, but
I also get lots of extra blank lines in output.

But more important, I don't think this is a good idea.
I don't like to backslash my lines so I don't have too many,
but I dislike long lines even more.

I think the issue with "PANEL" is minor.  I'd rather over report
the problem than mess up the users config file.

Is it OK if I remove this?

Back in 2.2.x my placement options were:

  Style "*" ActivePlacement, SmartPlacement

and I've never changed them, but the script is telling me I have
to.  If there is a difference, it must be subtle, because I don't
notice it.  Is the script being too conservative?

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:28:10 +0100

> I also get lots of extra blank lines in output.

Both fixed.

> but I dislike long lines even more.
 
I wrote that because the conversion fails whenever the expected
command and its parameters are on different lines.  I thought it
was better to have long lines than having the script screw up the
config file.  Lines with backslashes are fairly common in
FvwmButtons configurations.  Also, there are many places in the
man pages where backslashes are use for readability.  Some of
these examples could not be converted otherwise.  Remember that
this only happens for lines that were changes.  All othe lines
are not touched.  I can't think of a proper way to handle
continued lines other than this.

> Is it OK if I remove this?

Hm.  I'd rather try to hack some code to reduce the chance of
removig backslashes.  Perhaps the script could simply run twice:
During the first pass it would not touch backslashes.  This will
convert most occurances of outdated config commands.  In the
second pass it would merge continuation lines and make the changes
for the merged lines only.

All that has to be done is to make a function from the main
parsing loop that takes a parameter that tells it if it has to
merge continuation lines or not.  And the output of the first
pass has to be redirected to be the input of the second pass.
Furthermore it does not make much sense to print warnings twice,
so they could be disabeld for the first pass.

Dan, could you try to write this, please?  I don't have any
documentation about perl except man and info pages.

> notice it.  Is the script being too conservative?

The idea is to remove these options in the future.  It's the same
as with the GolbalOpts command.  They are still supported, but
using them ist discouraged.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:56:21 +0100

> documentation about perl except man and info pages.

Forget it, I managed to write it myself.  It's ugly, but it works.
I had to call the new sub function with global parameters because
I was unable to figure out how to use function parameters.  Feel
free to clean that up.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:42:30 -0500

> I was unable to figure out how to use function parameters.  Feel

I obviously can't keep up with you.

The secret  to parm passing is that  the parms are in  @_, so it looks
like:

&my_sub("data", 123);

sub my_sub {
  local($data, $number) = @_;
  print "Passed data: " . $data . " number: " . $number;
}