Subject: FvwmButtons Panel Position

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:53:44 -0500

I'm trying to create an FvwmButtons Panel and position a popup pager
above a swallowed pager.

I'm using:

Position Root 46 -108p

to position the popup.  The -108p part makes sense, but I don't know
why 46 seems to come close to working.  I started with 100 and that
put the popup on the next page.

Heres the whole thing:

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:28:19 +0100

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 08:53:44PM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> why 46 seems to come close to working.

The syntax of the panel is not described well.  Usually, the
panel is bottom aligned with the top border of the context
rectangle when sliding up.  But the Root context rectangle makes
an exception and aligns it to the bottom border of the screen,  I
read that part of the man page yesterday and did not understand a
word.  I hope I didn't write that rubbish.

> I started with 100 and that put the popup on the next page.

Of course.  You moved it 100% of the screen width to the right
from the center of the screen.  Just try "Root 0 0" to understand
where the default position of the panel is.  The numbers move it
relative to the default position.  These are *not* absolute screen
coordinates.

Anyway, I think you are complicating things unnecessarily.  If you
want the panel right above its button you don't have to give any
position:

  *FvwmButtons: (1x2, Panel(up, indicator, delay 0, steps 5) \
   FvwmPagerSubPanel "Module FvwmPager FvwmPagerSubPanel 1 5")

Should do the same, but it will also work if you move the button
bar.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:19:00 -0500

> relative to the default position.  These are *not* absolute screen

Where does the center  of the screen come  from?   Oh, I think I  see,
normally things are positioned to the center of the button, but
the direction plays a part too.

So "Position button 150 0" works  and seems most  correct.  I think we
will need lots of examples in the man page,  I still didn't figure out
"150 0" on my first guess.

> Should do the same, but it will also work if you move the button

I wanted the pager sub panel to be above the pager thats on the right
side of the button.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:35:24 +0100

> the direction plays a part too.

Exactly.

> "150 0" on my first guess.

That part of the man page needs to be rewritten urgently.  It's
horrible.

> I wanted the pager sub panel to be above the pager thats on the right

Ah, Okay.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:27:47 +0100

> word.  I hope I didn't write that rubbish.

I worte this :o( (and Dan probably correcte the english).
I am afraid that if I try to do some ameliorations here the
result will be more bad ... you know my english.
Sorry, Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:57:27 +0100

> result will be more bad ... you know my english.

Are you sure?  The parts I'm talking about look more like my
style of writing.  I had no problems with the language, only with
the complicated logic behind it :-P

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]