Subject: Notification: incoming/699

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:45:03 -0600

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/699

Message summary for PR#699
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: Problem restarting FVWM on dual-head system
	Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:45:02 -0600
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

>From [email-masked] Sat Feb 24 11:45:03 2001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Problem restarting FVWM on dual-head system
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:45:02 -0600

Full_Name: Chris Wicklein
Version: 2.3.28
CVS_Date: NA
OS: SunOS althea 5.8 Generic_108528-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
X_Server: Xsun
Submission from: (NULL) (65.6.31.160)

I would like to be able to restart FVWM on a dual-head Solaris 8 machine.
I am presently starting X like this:

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit -- -dev /dev/fb0 -dev /dev/fb1 >> ~/X.err 2>&1

and starting FVWM over .xinitrc without any command-line arguments.

The FVWM mouse-menu option for restarting the window manager is:

+                       "Restart Fvwm"  Restart fvwm2 -replace

When restarting FVWM this way, the restart works correctly from screen
:0.0 but causes FVWM to exit when restarted from screen :0.1, which is
presumably being managed by a child of the FVWM process managing screen
:0.0.

Restarting from :0.1 produces the following error message:

----------------------------------------
Fri Feb 23 22:14:10 CST 2001
----------------------------------------

[FVWM.1][SetupICCCM2]: <<ERROR>> another ICCCM 2.0 compliant WM is running,
try -replace
FvwmIconMan: Internal error with select: errno=Interrupted system call
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

waiting for X server to shut down 

Is this behavior a bug, or is it necessary to let FVWM exit and have a
fall-through program run after it over .xinitrc ready to re-execute FVWM?

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:10:10 -0600

> Restarting from :0.1 produces the following error message:

This is expected. -replace should not be used in Restart, it does not help.
-s does help, but also not really needed.

I believe you use 2.3.28, which has an updated note on Restart command,
suggesting to use Restart command without parameters for a dual-head,
just like in almost any other situation. Please try just "Restart".

There is also a related thread in the January's FVWM mailing list archives.
Currently restarts on both screens are independent.

Regards,
Mikhael.