Subject: outcome of java compatibility issue?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:39:34 +0100

Dan, I didn't get it if the problem with Java apps is solved now
or not.  Can you give me a short update?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 20:33:56 -0500

> or not.  Can you give me a short update?

Sure, I'm just as confused as when I started.

Oh, thats probably too short...

I started  in on  this  with a  Java  sample program that  didn't draw
correctly, and a  large Java  app at  my site that  also doesn't  draw
correctly.

Since both  programs  work under  dtwm, I  thought fvwm  wasn't  fully
emulating dtwm.

By getting the "modality is evil" flag to work,  I got the sample Java
app to work.  Unfortunately, there seems to be  more than one problem.
With this flag on, the large Java app crashes during startup.

I think this indicates that there is some dtwm behavior that fvwm
doesn't have that causes the crash.

I tried your suggestion to contact the KDE (kwm) developer.  I haven't
heard from him yet.

I  registered at Sun's site as  a Java developer,  and looked thru all
their outstanding Fvwm problem  reports.  There was  more than one.  I
couldn't find anything  in  Sun's comments that   says  that there  is
anything wrong with Fvwm.  All the  comments seemed to accept that the
problem was something wrong with Java.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Fvwm but  I'd still like to
find the cause or a work around.  I  haven't given up, even though I'm
not currently making any progress.  I don't see this impacting the 2.4
release.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Feb 2001 15:21:10 -0500

Does this have anything to do with the "magic 10x10 window" that MWM
apparently creates at negative geometries?

Was that just a nightmare, or does it really happen?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 15:50:22 -0500

> Was that just a nightmare, or does it really happen?

It really does happen.

Fvwm creates one also.  Search for -10 in fvwm.c.
(Thats not code I added.)

There appears to be more than one of them.
Other things go on with those windows that I don't completely understand.
Check it out:

fork> xwininfo -root -all | grep '\-10'
     0x48000db (has no name): ()  10x10+-10+-10  +-10+-10
     0x4800001 (has no name): ("" "")  10x10+-10+-10  +-10+-10
     0x2800001 (has no name): ()  10x10+-100+-100  +-100+-100
fork> xprop -id 0x48000db
_WIN_DESKTOP_BUTTON_PROXY(CARDINAL) = 75497691
_WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(CARDINAL) = 75497691
fork> xprop -id 0x4800001
WM_CLASS(STRING) = 
fork> xprop -id 0x2800001
_MOTIF_DRAG_TARGETS(_MOTIF_DRAG_TARGETS) = 0x42, 0x0, 0x0, 0x10, 0x0, ...