Subject: netscape / stack ring corruption

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:10:15 +0100

I have found a fairly reliable way to get a stack ring corruption
which may be what Dan reported a while ago (can you check this
please, Dan?):

Initial desktop layout:

+-------------------------------+
|+-----------------+            +
||                 |            |
||                 |            |
||                 |            |
||    Netscape     |            |
||                 |            |
||            +----------+      |
||            |          |      |
||            |  Prefs   |----+ |
|+------------|          |    | |
|+------------+----------+    | |
||    +-----+     |    | Cons | |
|| B  |I-MAN|     |   +-+     | |
||    +-----+     |   |i|-----+ |
|+----------------+   +-+       |
+-------------------------------+

Focus policy is SloppyFocus.  In the bottom left corner there is
an FvwmButtons window (B) with a swallowed FvwmIconMan which I use
to iconify windows.  Netscape is in the top left corner and an
open preferences window sightly to the bottom right so that it
overlaps an FvwmConsole window (Cons) which in turn partially
overlaps the spot where netscape's icon will appear.  Furthermore
transient windows are raised/lowered together with their
'parents'.

Now:

 1) Make sure at least two overlapping windows are open on aother
    page.
 2) Raise the netscape window (and thus its transient) to the top.
 3) Raise the FvwmConsole window.
 4) Raise the netscape window (and thus its transient) to the top.
 5) Iconify the preferences window. (Aside note: the netscape
    window is lowered by this operation. StackTransientParent,...
    styles should ignore iconified transients).
 6) Type 'recapturewindow' in the console and recapture the
    netscape window. (This raises netscape to the top but leaves
    the Preferences icon on the bottom - another bug)
 7) Iconify Netscape. The netscape icon swallows the preferences
    icon.
 8) Issue a 'recapture' from the console.
 9) Deiconify/iconify the netscape window a few times.  About 50%
    of the time this gives me a broken stack ring.

Since this does not happen all the time there is probably
something that depends on the timing in which things happen.  The
procedure is not optimal yet, but fairly reliable.  Steps 8 and 9
seem to be crucial.

BTW, please do not fix any bugs related with icon handling until
this problem has been resolved.  Such fixes might make the stack
ring corruption again and make debugging harder.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]