Subject: FvwmButtons problems

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 09:30:00 -0500

Yesterday I reported  a problem with  FvwmButtons, a panel, and  using
percent of root positioning.  I'm not sure I  saw that reach the list.
I see another problem so I'll describe both problems and attach the
config file again.

Using this config, every so often, FvwmIconMan starts repainting itself
over and over.  I think its having some kind of problem with the
module pipe since it doesn't respond to kill module and doesn't quit
when I quit fvwm and leave the x server running.  In one case I see this
in the log:

[FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor:
- data available=N
- terminate signal=N

The other problem is that I don't understand why "Position Root 46" works.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:29:37 +0100

> [FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor:

Hm, you did not attach your FvwmIconMan config lines.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:23:16 -0500

> Hm, you did not attach your FvwmIconMan config lines.

Sorry,

*FvwmIconMan*nummanagers 1
*FvwmIconMan*resolution  global
*FvwmIconMan*background  slategrey
*FvwmIconMan*foreground  white
*FvwmIconMan*font        7x13
*FvwmIconMan*buttongeometry    128x0
*FvwmIconMan*managergeometry    1x0-0-0
*FvwmIconMan*drawicons true
*FvwmIconMan*followfocus true
*FvwmIconMan*focusbutton up black white

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:29:59 +0100

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 09:30:00AM -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> over and over.

It was a small bug in the xevent_loop() function in x.c
(FvwmIconMan).  Once the force_redraw flag was set, it was never
deleted again. Causing FvwmIconMan to redraw every time a
ConfigureNotify event arrived, even if the size was not changed.
When redrawing, FvwmIconMan resets its size hints and FvwmButtons
then reized the window, triggering another ConfigureNotify event
ad infinitum.

> I think its having some kind of problem with the

I think this happened because FvwmIconMan never got out of the
xevent_loop() function.  Thus it never noticed that the fvwm pipes
were closed before FvwmButtons was destroyed, breaking the vicious
circle.  Of course the module should still handle dead pipes
properly while in the xevent_loop() function.  Chris, can you do
something about this?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]