Subject: No more FvwmScript-ThemesCenter: exit! (FreeBSD i386)

From: Andre Goeree <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:32:32 +0100

Hello fvwm-workers,

I'm trying your latest beta version (fvwm-themes-0.4.1).
out on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. Although almost everything works as it 
should, i'm having some trouble:(
Maybe you remember me from my previous message concerning
GNU mknod & BSD mknod. I am happy to see that the more portable
mkfifo is used in this newer version. However this is probably part 
of the problem i'm writing about now.

This is the error log:

config-99506: No more FvwmScript-ThemesCenter: exit!
fvwm-themes-config: internal error 1, killing FvwmScript-ThemesCenter
com: No lock Fifo .tmp-com-lock-config-99506 for config-99506 communication
cannot open .tmp-com-buf-config-99506 at /home/ago/sys/fvwm/bin/fvwm-themes-com line 62.
cannot open .tmp-com-buf-config-99506 at /home/ago/sys/fvwm/bin/fvwm-themes-com line 62.

I can switch themes, i'm using fvwm-themes right now:), but whenever
i take one of the "Fvwm Configuration" menus the above error occurs.

So far i haven't made any progress in tracking the error but i haven't
examined the code/scripts carefully yet.

Notes:
	I changed m4 in configure.in to gm4, the GNU m4 for FreeBSD.
	gm4 is also the "m4" fvwm-2.3.28 was built with but i don't 
	think this could have anything to do with the error.
	perl: version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

Now i hope some(one) of you can shed some light on this. I'm willing to 
provide you with any information, or do any testing/debugging/patching. 
Feel free to ask:).

Please send/reply/cc any messages directly to my address as i'm no 
longer subscribed to this list (i'm cutting back on my mail volume).

Keep up the good work.

-- Andre.

Additional question: My guess is that this problem has something
to do with portability. How many (beta-)testers do you have at the
moment testing this project on FreeBSD-i386?
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:04:48 -0600

> Hello fvwm-workers,

I am forwarding this to the right list, fvwm-themes-devel.
These problems are not directly related to FVWM.

> of the problem i'm writing about now.

Yes, I remember. Without your reports there would be no BSD patches.

> examined the code/scripts carefully yet.

Maybe Olivier has better suggestions, but I think we need your help here.
Please add some prints into checkScript in bin/fvwm-themes-config to see
whether and why it fails. Can you use the CVS version?

> 	perl: version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

I think the CVS version should work with non-GNU m4 now (not tested).
Or you mean something else?

> moment testing this project on FreeBSD-i386?

There are no official FreeBSD testers for fvwm-themes. You are the first.
The Solaris tester position is vacant too. :-)

Regards,
Mikhael.